News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why won't Goodmark ind. Make us 71-72 Charger Rear Quarter Panels

Started by ACUDANUT, December 10, 2006, 10:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow

Hi if you guys want only patch panel for your 71-72 what i did i use a bad front fender only the upper parts from bottom line an i cut 5" an use it for the back quater on the same side first i try the moulding an it was very close so i did it an i am 99% no one will see the difference untill i tell them do the math 71-72 only for 71-72   73-74 only on 73-74 car let me know what you guys think

ACUDANUT

Shadow, The hardest part about that, is finding a lower panel that is not rusted that you can use.  This really applies to the rear quarter panels.

Mike DC

If Goodmark isn't selling the E-body quarters, it's because they waited to make the full panels until damn near every E-body on the planet was already wearing a cheaper set of repro skins.  And we've been watching them slowly make the same mistake with the rest of the Mopars for the last decade.

694spdRT

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 01, 2007, 05:19:51 PM

If Goodmark isn't selling the E-body quarters, it's because they waited to make the full panels until damn near every E-body on the planet was already wearing a cheaper set of repro skins.  And we've been watching them slowly make the same mistake with the rest of the Mopars for the last decade.

That is probably true and then there are many people on a tight budget that would rather spend an extra 40hours per side with the partial skins to save the difference. If you are having a shop do the work I bet the full quarters would pay for themselves easily.

I know I would gladly buy a set of the Challenger front fenders if mine were not rust free. I already have a Goodmark Rallye hood to bolt on. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

ACUDANUT

Man, That's a excellant point.  GOODMARK better get the ball rolling on this one. You snooze, you lose.

hemi-hampton

I seen the new technlogy used to make these parts, (somewhat) New Technology makes making these parts Chaeper & easy to do then in the Past. Just had a guy at our shop drop of a set of protype 67 Camaro Convertible 1/4's. The Camaro we have is their test subject. The 1/4's are flawless & complete & fit like a glove or NOS 1/4. While both 1/4's were off he set up his Equipment/ Camera to Photograph the Inner Structures behind 1/4's.  Says they are making every Piece of the car. I say dont Dynamax allready make a complete & new 67 Camaro? He say's yeah but ours is going to be better. I say how much to produce that Camaro 1/4 $50,000? $100,000? He says somewhere between there. He say's by the time they have reproduced the entire Camaro they'll have $5 Million into it or something like that? So in a Nutshell what I'm getting at is that if anyone has $50,000 plus to have a 71-72 Charger 1/4 reproduced it could probably been done. If you sold 100 1/4s at $500 each you'd recoupe you funds. LEON.

Mike DC

From what I understand, it takes a lot more than $50K to do a quarter-sized item.  Try several hundred thousand, even given modern advancements. 

There are other guys here who know a lot more than I do about the whole issue, but I know a lot of the money is just literally carving & transporting a stamping molds that large & heavy.  We're talking about several blocks of high-grade hardened steel the size of refrigerators.

evil1

I just read something in road & track? about a company that cast their dies, then uses a cnc to finish the surfaces. they would also resurface the dies every so often during use, using the cnc.  supposedly they're cheep to make and use . unfortunately i don't have the magazine, i was reading it at the doctors office. I'm pretty sure it was road & track in the editor's page. the main point of the article was that tooling up for a limited run had become more affordable

hemi-hampton

I'll agree with evil. I think nowadays that it's all computerized & a push of the button. Slide a disc in. Reads the measurements, push a ON button & off it goes making a Die. If I see the guy again I'll ask for more specifics. The guy I talked to was the guy that took the pictures & measurments on complicated Camera which is the same Technology/camera that the Government uses on there drone spy planes on secret missions. This guy did not actually make the die or own the co. I dont think. But me & co. owner chit chatted awhile at Lunch. Maybe I could get more info from him. Like how much to Produce a NOS style full 1/4 for a 71-72 Charger? :o ::) :icon_smile_tongue: :yesnod: LEON.

694spdRT

I would be amazed if $50K even begins to touch doing 71/72 Charger quarters from design to marketable product.

Just curious...how much would you guys pay for a full repo quarter? The repo '68 taillight thread is not fairing so well last I checked.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Mike DC

A decent, solid Charger or Challenger is often worth $20-35,000 when it's set up right.  Step back, squint your eyes, and look at how much of the entire CAR you're buying with a set of those major panels . . . A set of full quarters & front fenders totals up over 1/3 of the entire car's outer skin.  I don't think $700 per corner is unreasonable at all.  (Of course I wouldn't LIKE to pay that much, smartass!  That's a different question.)

We're paying them to tool-up the stuff from scratch.  And we know damn well that these are much-needed parts and that money is still barely cost-effective to make them at all.  I think we should shut up & pay up if we really want the pieces.  Or we can always spend four weeks of our lives looking for used ones (and probably end up investing more money than the new ones would have cost anyway).

twilt

I dont really care if they make em or not. I thought ahead and stowed away all the good used ones I will ever need :nana: :no:  On the serious side, I dont believe for a minute that enough people would actually pay $600-$700 for a quality full  1/4 to make it worth the investment.   

BLACKWOLF

i am rear clipping my 73 with a 74 se rear clip with decent qtrs. . my 73 had been side-swiped when the previous owner had it. the left frt. inner panel is bent and someone tried to re-weld it to the firewall. the rocker had been replaced(still had the man. sticker on back of it). the left trunk extension was all bent up. the lft. rear qtr. had been replaced. both of my rear outer-wheelhouses are rotted around the wheel openings. no parts avalible, so the only thing to do is use used parts. i have to replace the tail panel also.
LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

Mike DC

When we're hand-forming full quarters on project cars rather than pay $2000 for a used one, we'll think differently.

(And we WILL.  In the coming decades, we'll probably be more willing to hand-build ourselves some more Chargers than use a 2004 Chevy Malibu for a street rod.)

AKcharger

ACUDANUT

This original post is over 4 years ago.  Problem is now solved...Now they need to make front fenders.

Als73charger

Yes.......FRONT FENDERS!!! I cannot believe there is not enough demand for these! :brickwall:  Al