News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grille resto help needed

Started by toqwik, December 11, 2006, 11:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toqwik

Ok need 2 things

1 What is the color of the silver on a 69 grille, or better yet, what rattle can matches best

2 for broken pieces where the grille bolts to the metal frame, how did you repair these pieces, and no I don't have the missing chunks.  The damage is to the plastic parts of the grille where the mounting bolts run thru the spring clips

Thanks
Scott

Silver R/T

argent silver works best for restoring that silver
Go to your local auto body store and get some Duramix glue, tell them what you need and they'll hook you up
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

terrible one

togwik,

I would use a good 2-part plastic epoxy for the bonding work on the grill. For the spots that it bolts up that have been broken off, it has been mentioned before that you can use fender washers and glue them to what's left of the mounting area so that you will have a strong attachment point to bolt to, if that makes sense. (Kind of like the little reinforcer rings for loose leaf paper)

Hemidog

i'm current restoring my 68 grille myself, and this thread has helped me alot: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,49.0.html
There are numerous threads about grille restorations, just do a search.

2Gunz

My grill is straight up trash and Im attempting to restore it.

It still looks really rough but it is showing promise and I think the finished product will look great.

Ive been using Fiberglass and Loctites 2 Part epoxy. I bought it at Home Depo and the stuff is amazing.

It attaches to just about anything, drys fast and is VERY strong.

Ive actually been using it to "mould" new parts.

Ive also been using metal to reinforce the areas that are very far gone.

Heres some pictures. And Like I said its still not pretty, but is a long ways from what it once was.

2Gunz

more