News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 - 74 Charger headlight conversion help.

Started by 66hemi, December 13, 2006, 03:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66hemi

I would like to put 72 hideaway headlights on my 74 charger. Does anyone know what 74 existing parts I can leave on the car and the 72 parts I will need to do this.
66 hemi Charger 4 spd
69 Charger R/T 4 spd. TP

41husk

Im sure Natcho can help you but you should post in the tech area.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

66hemi

can I move this or does the admin need to do it?
66 hemi Charger 4 spd
69 Charger R/T 4 spd. TP

41husk

Admin will di it as soon as they find it.  In the mean time welcome aboard you will find lots of very knowledgable people on here to help with your project.  got any pictures?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Lostsheep_01

I was going to do the same thing when I had my '73.  I still have the hideaways and motor.  The bumper brackets are shorter from '72 to '73. I don't know if that factors in to the hideaway swap but I know it makes the car look cleaner with the bumpers up close to the car instead of a gap. Pretty sure the mods have to move the topic. Sorry I can't be more of a help. Good luck!
69 Charger 383
MoPar.  You're either with us or behind us!

66hemi

Lostsheep_01 would you be interested in selling the hideaways and motor? I sure could use them.
66 hemi Charger 4 spd
69 Charger R/T 4 spd. TP

Lostsheep_01

Already got 'em for sale.  Check the classifieds under "3rd gen parts" for pics.
69 Charger 383
MoPar.  You're either with us or behind us!

Charger1973

The conversion is pretty easy I did it to my 73.  I havent wired my car up yet, so I cant tell you anything about that part of it but it all bolts up nicely.  I havent put the actual headlight buckets back on yet either because I was told I needed a set from a 71-72 car because they are shorter, so you will need to find out about that as well.  I will see if I have any pictures that will help, but either way just let me know if you run into any trouble or need me to look at my car for reference. 

You have to remove the original grilles, grille brackets, and theres a long metal brace that goes across the top or bottom of the bumper that it seems like I had to remove.  I also removed my push bumpers while I was at it. 

You will need the hideaway grilles, make sure you get all of the mounting brackets for them.  You will also need the motor (which comes with a bracket of its own too that you need).  Also make sure you get the metal rod that connects the 2 headlight doors to the motor.

Thats about all there is to it, hopefully im not forgetting anything, but im sure someone will correct me if I am!   :yesnod:

Charger1973

Charger1973

Charger1973

Charger1973

Charger1973

Charger1973

66hemi

Thanks for the big pictures and the info. I did purchase the set from lostsheep 01. As soon as they get here I'll take a look to see what else I need to do to get them in.
Much appreciated.
66 hemi Charger 4 spd
69 Charger R/T 4 spd. TP

Nacho-RT74

that's the info...I never have seen personally the hideaways assembly, but yes lots of pics and ppl with conversion done. 74RALLYE from the old board had really good pics with assmbly  already mounted.

Headlights pedestal info is a little bit "unnacurate". You won't need really change them fo a while you keep same bumper gap between body and bumper because de bumper filler keeping the 73/74 bumper, However if you decide make the complete change with 71/72 bumper included you will need then use 71/72 pedestals, use 71/72 top braces with all 71/72 bumper, but keep and enlarge holes of 73/74 Main bumper brackets to fit bumper closer to body and eliminate the bumper filler.

Beside that, the main lower and top reinforcements you can use any of them since they have already holes to any setup, but yes change the vertical brackets from regular grilles to hideaways grilles, Of course also the motor bracket. I think there is also a lower horizontal bracket somewhere.

That's the info I have in mind right now.

Another stuff is the electrical section, what consist on a relay and a separate harness from the rest already on your car throught firewall with a grommet. You can get it from any hideaways Mopar car since 70
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger1973

Charger1973

Hey guys I need some help wiring up my hideaways.  It would be cool to see if this motor will work or not...  although I do like the look with the doors open too.   :D   

All I have is what I posted in the pictures above for wiring.  Im not sure how hard it is to wire it into the headlight switch, but I dont think it should be too hard.  Does anyone have any diagrams or pictures that they could post that shows how to wire these up?  If I have to run it from a seperate toggle switch that would be fine too but I think it would be just as easy to tap into the headlight switch.  I dont have the relay that I think its supposed to come with, is that something I can pick up at the local parts store? 

Also can someone tell me how to test the motor and see if its any good?  I thought about just connecting it to the battery but I was scared of shorting it out. 

71_deputy

1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Bob

AKcharger