News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Marty Moates, motorcycle champion, dead at 49:

Started by Brock Samson, December 13, 2006, 09:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

(12-13) 17:38 PST SAN DIEGO, (AP) --

Marty Moates, who scored a historic victory in the 1980 U.S. Grand Prix of Motocross at Carlsbad Raceway, has died. He was 49.
Moates died Dec. 7 from self-inflicted gunshot wounds in La Costa, the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office and a spokesman for Moates' clothing line, Eric Johnson, both confirmed Wednesday.
Friends were surprised by Moates' death, but said he had been in a great deal of physical pain from old motorcycle-related injuries and stomach ulcers.
Moates, a San Diego native who went on to became a founder of Carlsbad-based sportswear firm No Fear, was 23 when he rode his privately owned Yahama to victory in the U.S. Grand Prix.
"I never thought I had a chance to win. I just hoped I might finish in the top five," Moates said after his upset triumph. "Winning surprised me as much as everyone else."
Until his win, no American had ever beaten the more experienced European riders in the U.S. rounds of the event.
It was seen as a turning point. After Moates' victory, no European again won the Carlsbad race until it closed in 1986.
It turned out to be Moates' most significant win. He also won the California Grand Prix in 1977 for 250cc bikes, but the 1980 race was his only breakthrough victory.
With fellow racers Brian and Mark Simo, Moates went on to co-found No Fear, a clothing company specializing in motocross accessories and rugged outdoor gear. Moates also was president of a motocross accessory spinoff company, FMF International.
"To all, Marty Moates was friendly, approachable and willing to do anything to help his sport or a friend out," Johnson, the No Fear spokesman, said in an online tribute. "The waters ran deep with Marty Moates."
Moates is survived by his wife, Heather, and a son, Dakota.
The family asked that instead of flowers, donations be sent in Moates' memory to Loma Linda University Children's Hospital.

link:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2006/12/13/sports/s173835S79.DTL