News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What should I expect for machine work price?

Started by defiance, December 14, 2006, 04:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defiance

I'm slowly compiling all the parts for my build, and trying to put myself on a project plan (need to keep myself disciplined so that the wife doesn't kill me for overspending and I don't get frustrated and start shortcutting!), but I'm not really sure how much I should estimate on machine work.  Basically, I'm going to hand all the parts to a machine shop and have them assemble the engine to a long block.  expected work:

-tank/clean
-bore .030 (block never before bored)
-align bore with girdle/caps/studs
-clearance for 505 stroker kit
-deck to 0 with rotating assembly (should be 10.705, .015 below stock)
-check clearances on all parts
-match head/intake ports
-neutral balance
-assemble long block
-degree/setup cam
-Anything I don't remember?

The heads will be prepped already, so nothing should be necessary there.  What should I expect to pay for the above from a good machine shop?  A friend of mine that's done some building is saying he thinks it'll be less than $1,000, but that seems like a lot of work to me and I think he's full of crap :P

67_Dodge_Charger

Hmmm.  I would say closer to $1400 since you are going with a 505.  What cam are you using and what are the specs on the heads?

Sounds like fun

Robert

defiance

heh - I've changed my mind on those two points about 10 times now :P  That's why I'm trying to lay out a project plan, so I can focus on getting somewhere rather than focusing on nit-picking every single decision :)

I had thought for a while I would do Eddy victors, but when I started seeing the rocker arm prices on them, I started looking into indy EZs - I was debating this in a thread over at moparts, and somebody suggested I get ported RPMs.  I dismissed this at first, but then I saw that you could get Modern Cylinder CNC ported eddies for $2k that would be FINISHED heads that would flow 300 cfm at .500" lift - more than victors or ezs, and nearly the same price when you consider the extra parts needed for either.  So, I decided to give up the option to port more later and go with them.

For the cam, I'm looking at getting about a .550 lift, 280 adv duration off-the-shelf hydraulic.  Anything past 550 would be wasted with the RPMs anyway; they pretty much top out before 600 lift.  I know everybody here loves solids, but I won't be checking the rocker adjustments on this, so solids are out.  I thought about getting a roller for a while, but when I sat down and did the math, the same roller costs about $1k more when you consider the other parts that have to be upgraded with it...  I just don't think it's really worth it until you're begging for every last drop of power. 

$1400 sounds more like I would expect; $1000 sounds WAY cheap for that to me.

RD

expected work:

-tank/clean = $55 minimum
-bore .030 (block never before bored) =$12 per cylinder total $96
-bore honing = $60
-align bore with girdle/caps/studs = $100 minimum
-clearance for 505 stroker kit $100 minimum
-deck to 0 with rotating assembly (should be 10.705, .015 below stock) $100
-check clearances on all parts = should be included in assembly charge
-match head/intake ports = $75 minimum
-neutral balance = $125 minimum (matters on how much they have to take out or put in on the crank)
-assemble long block $450 minimum (hourly wage)
-degree/setup cam = included in assembly
-shop materials  = $20 minimum
-file fit rings = $100

my guess:  $1281-$1500
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

moparjohn

I just got done doing mine, I (my friends and I) assembled everything except piston in rods and valves in head and it was just over $1400.
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

defiance

Thanks guys, good enough to stick in a budget.  I'll put it for $1700 and allow for possible "local premiums" :P

73chgrSE

Just curious. Did you buy the rotating assembly from 440source? or somewhere else. I'm looking into doing a similar build next year.

defiance

future tense :)  Right now I'm still paying off the body work.  With current schedule and budget, I expect to finish paying that off and get the rotating assembly from 440source around March '07. 

Challenger340

My guess is around $2500 - $3000 U.S., including assemble to long block, but it depends WHO's doing it.

Remove Cam brg's, frost & gallery plugs
Hot-tank block
Mag block
Surface block equal & square(rough)
Align hone mains & set brg clrc
Bore 8 Cyl
Torque-plate hone-fit Pistons
Pin-fit Pistons
Pin-fit Rod small ends
Check/size Rods & set brg clrc.
Mock-up for final decking on block & stroker clrc'ing
O-deck from above.
Balancing
Port match heads & intake, dis-assemble heads, port, check & re-assemble spring pressures/guide clrc.
Final wash, install C-brgs, frost & gallery plugs

Assemble W/file-fit rings/cam degree & tin.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

i c e b l u e

Before I worked at a Westech, I took my 440 to another machine shop(Kilpatric racing wakeshaw, WI) The cost came around $1600 for about the same machining procedures.(minus line bore, and gasket matching) However, I cut the cost down by doing everything I could physically do myself. ex disassembly and removal of all freeze and galley plugs, mock up and final assembly, degree in cam, etc. Basically, any shop will charge at minimum $75 an hour for labor, and anything you can do yourself will help greatly help. With everything you have listed I would guess the cost would be around the $2,300 to 2,700 range.

Scatpack

I have a 383 at the machine shop now.Total costs,no parts since i supply them.309.00 for the complete machine work 915 heads including hardened seats.710.00 for all the machining on the engine block including sleeving/the sleeve for one cylinder and shot peaning the block.
http://community.webshots.com/user/moooboy
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383Hp,# match
70 Dodge PU 383 Adventurer
02 F250 SuperCab LB 4X4 7.3, 6 speed manual
06 Dodge Magnum SXT
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3
Suzuki Vinson 500 4x4 ATV
Ford 1510 Diesel 4x4 Tractor
AQHA QuarterHorse,1HP,Very Fast

Challenger340

Quote from: Scatpack on December 16, 2006, 10:56:25 AM
I have a 383 at the machine shop now.Total costs,no parts since i supply them.309.00 for the complete machine work 915 heads including hardened seats.710.00 for all the machining on the engine block including sleeving/the sleeve for one cylinder and shot peaning the block.

What Block machining operations, are being performed for the $ 710.00

Is it generic machining,
or,
blueprinted, with supplied brg. clrc. specs. on each Rod brg box, @ torque  ? Example; .0024" @ 50 ft/lbs W/ARP lube, 3 X /70 deg.
Pin-fitting ?
Align honing the mains,(same clrc. specs/@ torque) ?
"0" decked, W/supplied Piston/deck clrc. ?
Torque-plate being used ?
All 8 Pistons measured/numbered for THEIR holes ? Piston sizes(all 8), supplied & clrc.
Sonic test prior to sleeving ? Stepping the sleeve ?

Not trying to "dis" the price your getting, I'm sure they're very happy with what they are being paid, and you seem satisfied with the price being charged.

More to the point, it's VERY important to remember that in a free market, and especially engine machining, one usually gets what they're paying for. NOBODY works for free, they can't, not if they wanna eat.
It's important to question what operations are being performed, to what tolerances, and for how much, to get an accurate comparison of "Apples to Apples".
Machining is NOT all the same !
Many shops(generic machine shops), do not even offer many of the above services. In fact, they've never even heard of such stuff.

Apologies, No wars wanted, but machining comparisons & Prices, must be for the SAME type machining.
Only wimps wear Bowties !