News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 charger steering column

Started by 70charger_boy, December 17, 2006, 02:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger_boy

How do I remove the steering column on a 70 charger?  I want to pull the dash cluster and the colum is in the way. Thanks Orlando

Mopar Madness

If you are only pulling the Cluster... Remove the Lower Panel that is right where the column goes into the dash. It is the U shaped piece, 4 screws hold it to the lower dash pad.
Next.. Right behind the plate there is 2 studs sticking down that the column is bolted to AND a 3rd is on the Right Side back about 8". So remove all 3 of the bolts off the stud and the column will drop about 3".
That will give you the clearence you need. Disconnect the speedometer cable from behind first, then take out the screws that hold the cluster . Pull the cluster out to where you can get your hand behind the left side of the cluster and start unplugging the Headlight Switch, Panel Dimmer switch, reason being each one of those you unplug the cluster will come out more giving you more room and when you get to the end (Right Side) it will give you more than enough room to take a small wrench and take the bolts off the Voltage Gauge.
     When going back just reverse the process starting with the wiring at the volt gauge.

70charger_boy

Thanks Madness.  I dropped the column, just like you told me and pulled the cluster.  I cleaned the cluster and swapped out the guages.  I installed a tic toc tac, but I broke the volt meter when unscrewing it and the cluster I bought on ebay was missing one.  Oh well, I'm going to have to figure out a way to put it back together

Mopar Madness

PM me your address, I will ship you a good used one. You ned the voltage gauge to complete the electrical Circuit. No charge, glad to help..
Save the little fiber bridge that was laying between the terminals.

TylerCharger69

don't forget to disconnect the battery first....if you already dont know that.....some people don't.

70charger_boy

haa haa.  Funny you said that because I didn't and sparks were flying lights were coming on.  I even thought i smelled smoke.  So, I disconnected battery and all the wires are good

TylerCharger69

lol...oh, well...I should've posted that sooner.   Good to hear no damage occured

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 70charger_boy on December 18, 2006, 02:54:27 PM
haa haa.  Funny you said that because I didn't and sparks were flying lights were coming on.  I even thought i smelled smoke.  So, I disconnected battery and all the wires are good

I know that I have to disconect batt and that stuff still happens to me... even I have some electricand and harness knowledgement, just too lazy to do it.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html