News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dixie Horn misfireing

Started by MoparManJim, December 21, 2006, 07:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparManJim

hey guys an gals, I have a problem with my dixie horn right now, I'm letting my cousin use it while my charger is down an being work on. Anyways I have the play it self mod in the compressior and yesterday with the mod out of it I had the horn working an playing nice, well last night I built a mod holder just like the old one but more stiffer though. Well today My cousin and I went an hook the Dixie back up an tryed it well at 1st we HAD nothing coming out now sound but from the air compressior though, well after I did afew little glueing with a glue gun now we got the 1st few notes an the last note playing but the other trumpets don't seem to be doing anying though, what can cause this?  :?  :?  :?   

what order does the notes play in? :?   

heres a list of the order I I ran it through in but it might be off.

Dark Orange, Bright Orange, Bright Orange, Bright Orange, Purple, Blue, Purple, Blue, Blue, Blue, Black, Purple. 

just by looking at it I think its playing back wards. 

Jim

TylerCharger69

There should be plastic colored grommets on the compressor AND the horns themselves to give you the proper order of play.    If you notice...there is a small hole also on the side of the cylindrical compressor....this is for oiling.   I use sewing machine oil for this  and definately  NOT WD40!!!   Another issue  I've found is....if you have excessive length in the wiring....it will play really slow  or not at all.    What I did was put the contacter   right next to the battery with some number 12 wire,  and put the compressor  just on the outside of the radiator support in front of the battery to make the wiring as short as possible.  (I have it wired directly to the battery...in wire loom of course)  It's easy to figure out the order of the horns,   but not the compressor.  I'll go outside in a few   and see if I can help with the order of play.....and I'll try to give you a reference on the order of the compressor.

TylerCharger69

Okay.....starting from the largest trumpet, numbered 1 through 5 is as follows:

1.  Orange   2.  Brown  3. Purple  4. Black  5.  Blue

Now....here is a diagram of the compressor and the color order:

TylerCharger69

I hope this helps.   You posted "Bright Orange"   and "Dark Orange".....Dark Orange would be Brown.   And....I would scrap the "play itself" modification....It'll only cause you grief.   It's not that hard to hold the horn button down while the notes play.   And...I wouldn't glue gun anything either.   Another good tip is to try to make the air tubing as short as possible also.  With electric current  and air travel distance.....the less distance, the better.  I have my trumpets mounted on the front side of the radiator support,  from largest to smallest...and just to the right of that   I have the compressor.   Make sure there are no breaks in the tubing as well.....if so....pcv hose works just as well.   Judging by the order you posted...it is wa-a-a-ay  off!!!

TylerCharger69

Here's a pic of the horns...PLEASE excuse the uncleanliness  as we had a serious dust storm come through here  followed by rain  which turned all of that dust into mud.    GRRRRRR........