News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater question.

Started by clausoe, August 31, 2005, 04:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clausoe

Just wondering if it's alot of work to take out the whole heater/ac/fan installation under the dash on a 2nd gen charger? Just want to take it out and get it all clean inside and repair whatever is needed, probably hasn't been out of the car since 68 and the air coming through isn't all that fresh. I was thinking of just looping the hoses from the engine so I can still drive it if I don't have to dismantle the whole dash.
Oh, the ac stuff under the hood is already long gone.

Ghoste

It's not real big.   You can put a loop of hose to drive it while it's out if you want.   Think of all the heater delete cars.
You'll have better luck if you remove the console (or at least loosen everything and slide it back) and pop out the passenger seat.   The job can be done without doing those things but it's easier to take them out.   Then it's four bolts on the firewall (engine side) and unhook the cables and ducts and wiring and out she comes.   Sorta.

thallium

I'm in the process of doing the same type of thing on my non a/c heater box.   Along with the bolts on the engine side, there are about 20 or more little screws that secure the box up against the firewall on the inside, you'll have to remove those also to get the whole box out. Also, I noticed it made the job easier to take out the cardboard glove box and ashtray assy. It made it a lot easier to get to the cables and screws on top of the heater box. Once the box is out, it's a good time to replace the heatercore as well. That is why mine had to come out, leaky...... here are a couple pictures with the box out.

Ghoste

I didn't have any screws securing it on the inside.  There was a single brace going from the box up to the top of the dash but that was it.

thallium

I had that same brace to remove also. huh. maybe there is a little difference between an a/c unit and a non-a/c unit.   On the non a/c unit, I had to remove these small screws all around the whole box. good to know   for future use if I get a a/c car.  In the picture, you can see all the screw holes I had to remove to get it off the inside of the firewall

Ghoste

Mine is also non a/c.  Where you have all those screw holes, I have them as well but the little screws were holding a panel to the other side of the heater box.  I see you have the one panel, but my car has two.  If I had to bet, I'd say a previous owner tossed the panel on yours and screwed the heater box directly to the firewall.

thallium

heater core is in! It took a while, but when you work all week, you don't really feel like getting out there sometimes....

Just 6T9 CHGR

This might be my next project as well.  I am looking for a source that sells all the gaskets/foam/insulation needed to rebuild an A/C box.......so far all I have seen is ones for an non-A/C unit.

Also the A/C heater core is waaay different & more $$$ than a non A/C one.   It is also not as readilly availabel either.   They can be had but for a price!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

I'm presently in the process of restoring mine (A/C unit). Alot small linkages and screws. The foam sealers on the flaps I found at my local ACE hardware under weather stripping for doors. The insulation against the cowling I left intact in places it was in good shape. One section was poor and what I used was a drop ceiling insulation tile, cut it using a cardboard template and then you might have to peel some of the thickness off to get the right original thickness. Then I used a little of gorilla glue (drops) to fasten it to the cowling. I removed the condenser and the heating core. Blew everything with the air compressor. I pressure tested the heating core to 12 lbs and then ran a mild solution muriatic acid through the core. I also gently brushed some of the solution on the outside and hosed it down wih water. It came out very clean. I painted the galvanized edges with "cold" galvanized spray paint, including the galvanized flaps. While cleaning and opening the heater box, I even found a piece of paper from the Chrysler factory that appears to be part of a order form. Not sure I'll photograph it tonight. It's just a small piece of the form that I found in the A/C section.

Oh very important! take pictures, alot of them. There is one spring that I can't recall where it goes. I'll photograph it tonight for the experts to assist.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

4402tuff4u

Here is a picture of the heater & A/C cowling restored. The second picture shows the spring that came out of the heater core part and I can't for the life of me remember where it came from. I looked through the books I have and still can't determine where it comes from. I made the mistake of not taking a picture before removing it. If anyone can offer any ideas, please post. Thanks for the help.

4402tuff4u

forgot the pic's..oops!