News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone put on their own R/T stripe?****Updated with Pics****

Started by Mfr426, December 27, 2006, 07:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Well, I'm continuing on my RT conversion on my 69 SE. My next move is to put the R/T stripe on the ass end. I have after market quarters on my car and I thought I remember someone saying that the marker lights might not be 100% in the right spot.

First, has anyone done this themselves and can they offer any advice?

Second, who has the best decals for this? I like David at Performance Car Graphics but am open to opinions.

Thanks for any comments.

PS: Donor 440 is now at the machine shop getting prepped for a stroker kit

Silver R/T

They have stripe kit on ebay. I did quick rattle can job on my 68 R/T
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mfr426

I've seen the kits. Just wondering who on the board has done their own install. The kit's not cheap so I want to make sure do my homework first...

Thanks for your comments.

Mike

41husk

I did it with help from cuda ken and another body guy.  it was harder than it looked and we kept having problems with little bubbles.  When I get ready for the stripes and hood black out on the Challenger, I will pay to have it done.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Nacho-RT74

I installed my rallye stripes. Is not easy if you don't have patiente. Keep wet the surface with water and a little soap solution to move it and align the stripes and will be fine. JUST A LITTLE BIT OF SOAP since it makes more bubbles than normally will have without.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

y3chargerrt

My strip installed was 99.00 for the labor. Came out perfect so it was worth it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I did mine myself after 2 failed attempts by "professionals"

I bought mine from PCG as well.  Follow thier instructions & you will be fine.  For the soap I used a small amt of Dreft baby cloths detergent & water as per Dave's instructions.
Start on one quarter and mark the position of each piece of the stripe before actually gluing it down as a guide.

I started on the left side quarter making sure to get the marker light housing in the center of the stripe and to have the top of the "T" in R/T in line with the center body line of the quarter....the rest "falls" into place.
Take your time & have a hair drier ready to help with the smoothing.   Small bubbles will come out with direct sunlight/heat...dont sweat the small ones.  the larger ones you will have to work out.  i dont recommend popping with a pin (personal prefrence)
I do believe the fact about the repro quarters being "off" in the marker light area.....my left quarter is a repro....by the time I got to the rightr side I had to do some minor tweeking to get it right...nothing major though.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Just6T9 has the right idea, of COURSE!!!
I did both my Chargers myself, my '70 I did twice (not by any mistakes). Both cars came out just fine. I've also done '70 Challenger black-out hoods, roof & hood strobe stripes on '71-'72 Road Runners, Superbird nose cones, Indy Ram Pickups, etc. If you've never applied stripes before of any kind, then you may want to seek help from a professional.
However, they really aren't that hard, as long as yout take your time. Here's how I do mine:

1) First, clean the car. The surface must be dust, wax, etc free.
2) Lay out your side stripes. Center them in the marker opening, & make sure the "curve" on the top matches the upper belt line. The stripes are cut this way to follow the body lines, just make sure you line these bends up. Hold them in place with small pieces of masking tape.
3) Lay out your trunk stripe. If the sides are on correctly, then the trunk stripe should line up evenly across the deck lid. Make sure the center "V" matches that of the deck lid. Hold this stripe in place temporarily with small pieces of tape.
4) Then, I like to lay out about 2" strips of masking tape parallel with the stripe, right up against it. I'll do this every foot or so. Once this is laid out, I'll mark it with pencil lines on the tape & onto the stripe. So, when I lay out the stripes for real, I simply have to place it along the tape edges, & line up my pencil marks.
5) Take the stripes off the car, & work one 1/4 panel at a time. Use a tack rag to remove any remaining traces of dust on the car. Peel off the backing, & spray the stripe with your soap mixture (I use Surf detergent mixed with water). Spray the same mixture on the car. Do NOT use a sponge or soap from a bucket to do this! Use a clean spray bottle to apply it.
6) Once soaped up, lay out your stripe on the car lining up your tape markings from before, & plaicing the stripe within the tape edges. Squeegee out any water, & wipe with a paper towel. Move on the the next stripe, & finally the deck lid.
7) Use a hair dryer while squeegeeing out any last traces of water. After about 20min or so, you should be able to peel off the top paper. Work out any remaining air bubbles as you go. Like Just 6T9 said, smaller ones are not a problem. Larger ones that can't be worked out can be popped with a very small, SHARP pin. Do not use anything too large or blunt or you will see a hole afterward close-up. Use a razor blade to trim around the marker opening & other areas.

Good Luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bookedbydano

You can definately do it. take your time and follow the great tips posted. I did mine and turned out great.  It is true you will not get all the small bubbles out.  They will come out with some drying time and sunlight.

Mfr426

Thank you all. These comments are perfect!

Can anyone give me a close up of the side marker light and how the decal covers it? Not sure I understand if it's under the light or over the light.

Thanks again. My R/T conversion is moving along nicely. I'll post some shots in the near future.

bookedbydano

remove the whole side marker bezel.  the strip goes under the bezel.  Have to paint the bezel whatever the stripe color is.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Remove the housing & stripe right over the opening....cut an "X" in the material over the opening & fold it back onto the inner quarter making sure to "mold" the vinyl into the creases for the housing....
From what I have read in resto books this is the correct look for inside the trunk....Not 100% sure though
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

Hey Thanks Chris, nice shot! I presume you painted your rear side markers to match the black stripe?

I hate to be a pain but could I ask you to take a picture of the R/T emblem on the rear tail panel? I just finished migging the SE holes closed, sanding and primering the area but am not sure where the new R/T emblem is located between the lock and the bottom. Any chance of measuring from the bottom of the lock assembly to the top of the R/T emblem for reference? I'm assuming it is centered between the tail light openings but the top to bottom location alludes me.

Thanks for the help. Next summer I'll buy you a beer at ACN...

:yesnod:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike check this thread out.....

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10560.0.html

As far as measuring right now is a bit tough.  I have the car tucked away backed in the garage for the winter, butted up against the wall...Im sure someone else in a much warmer climate can help ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

No, this thread works fine. Thanks Chris.

Mike...

sharpspike

check out this site, it shows one being put on.  click- restoration - body & paint- detail & decals. hope its of some help.

http://www.69hemi.com/

Mfr426

Hey, great find and it's about time he updated his site!  :icon_smile_big:

The downside is that his car is the exact same year and color combo (F8 with a black top) as mine is. I was sold on the white R/T stripe but now that I see his I wonder if the black is a better choice.

Oh well, that's a great reference. Thanks for posting.

MIke

sharpspike

hey mike, dont you have a link to your restoration? if you do can you repost it. seems i remember one, or im just getting old. ;D

69hemi

Quote from: sharpspike on December 31, 2006, 10:58:55 AM
check out this site, it shows one being put on.  click- restoration - body & paint- detail & decals. hope its of some help.

http://www.69hemi.com/

Try this URL it will take you right to the stripe deal.

http://www.69hemi.com/detaildecals/page_01.htm
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Mfr426

I let my domain and site die on the vine. No time to update it and it got so stale that I had to pull the plug...

::)

69hemi

Quote from: Mfr426 on December 31, 2006, 03:04:01 PM
I let my domain and site die on the vine. No time to update it and it got so stale that I had to pull the plug...

Mine was that way for a while but i have started updating it and I will have the Hemi Charger section finished in Jan then start on the new project section.  I got so many e-mails wondering what was going on I was amazed so I had go back to the keyboard and start finishing it up
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

THE CHARGER PUNK

Quote from: Mfr426 on December 29, 2006, 05:20:24 PM
Hey Thanks Chris, nice shot! I presume you painted your rear side markers to match the black stripe?

I just finished migging the SE holes closed

:yesnod:

you closed up the holes on the roof that say SE? why would you do that?, you could have made an R/T SE clone instead of just an R/T

Mfr426

Let me clarify...I closed my tail panel Charger holes, NOT my SE emblem on my roof.

Must be all the paint fumes...

:icon_smile_dead:

sharpspike

Quote from: 69hemi on December 31, 2006, 04:54:01 PM
Quote from: Mfr426 on December 31, 2006, 03:04:01 PM

Mine was that way for a while but i have started updating it and I will have the Hemi Charger section finished in Jan then start on the new project section.  I got so many e-mails wondering what was going on I was amazed so I had go back to the keyboard and start finishing it up

great site 69hemi. as well as a great car.

69hemi

<Many tanks!  I should be able to finish up the Hemi section in Jan so check back
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

Mfr426

Well folks, I finished installing my R/T stripes this AM. I started last week and had some issues with my first stripe. So, I ended up ordering the left side (again) and it installed the second time perfectly. Fortunately David at Performance Car offers partial decals for just such occasions.

I figured out that the trick is plenty of Windex. Performance Car Graphics now recommends using Windex and not soapy water from a spray bottle. Also it's imperative that you lay out the decal and mark the final position with tape so that when you finally lay it on you know EXACTLY where you want it to go.

Finally, I had several larger bubbles in the one side but after a week under a warm halogen light they have gone away. DO NOT pop any bubbles. They will come out. If it were nicer out I could have put it out in the sun and they would have gone away in a day or so naturally.

Here are the pictures that I just took this AM. The fit and finish is well worth all the prep time. Thanks all for the help.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Samson

yeah tha looks great!  :drool5:
i've seen a few stripes put on backwards...

AKcharger

4cruzin

Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

694spdRT

Nice job....looks great! :thumbs:

That was one thing I didn't need to do on mine. I just had to drill 4 holes in my new quarters and screw on the emblems.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Shakey

Well done Mike!  You're an inspiration to us all!  After seeing this thread, I am convinced that we can do this ourselves in the garage.

Thanks to all that offered up the tips!   :thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 15, 2007, 12:44:18 PM
Nice job....looks great! :thumbs:

That was one thing I didn't need to do on mine. I just had to 4 drill holes in my new quarters and screw on the emblems. ;)

:haha:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

Shakey, Yep....it's a do-able job. Just use PLENTY of Windex. Not TOO much but enough to thoroughly wet the area on both the car and the back side of the decal (adhesive side). The hair dryer was very helpful too with attaching the areas that went around sharp corners (like the lip going into the trunk).

Also, I had my garage at between 75-90 degrees. I blasted the hell out of my wall heaters for a few hours to get the temp up. I'm certain that was a big help.

bill440rt

Mike, your stripe job looks SUPERB!!!!  :cheers: :2thumbs:  it really sets off the back of your car nicely.
I never tried using Windex before, though. Glad to hear everything worked out! Keep up the good work!  :icon_smile_cool:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mfr426

Thanks Bill.

Anyone have about 3 grand that I can borrow to finish my stroker motor??? I'm not particular, I'll take small bills and/or out of state checks!

:icon_smile_tongue:

AirborneSilva

AKcharger

Quote from: Mfr426 on January 16, 2007, 06:09:55 AM
Thanks Bill.

Anyone have about 3 grand that I can borrow to finish my stroker motor??? I'm not particular, I'll take small bills and/or out of state checks!

:icon_smile_tongue:

Yes I do, please send me your Social Security number, bank accountnumber and your bank routing code...I'll transfer it right into your account!  ;D

Mfr426

I'll get right back to you on that one...

:nana:

"...Yes I do, please send me your Social Security number, bank accountnumber and your bank routing code...I'll transfer it right into your account!.."   

THE CHARGER PUNK

man sweet car :icon_smile_big: man i love your car:yesnod: ,i see grand spaulding license plates any plans 2 add the famous trunk decal as well? :icon_smile_big: