News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know about Dodge Magnums?

Started by Drache, August 31, 2005, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

There's a local Dodge magnum that my friend wants me to look at. It's a '79 Magnum with a 3 speed auto and a 400 4bbl. What can anyone tell me about these cars? It's listed as a project car so who knows what I'll find but he has it listed for $1200 CDN.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Nacho-RT74

I never have seen in person, but all I can say is they look A LOT BETTER THAN 75/77 Chargers and also any other car of those years by the pics I have seen
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TruckDriver

Buy It!!! I'd love to get my hands on one. I used to know a guy that had a sun roof one til he got drunk and wrecked it :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TeeWJay426

1200 CD doesn't sound like a bad deal either, unless it has the dreaded terminal tin worm. My sis had one way back when- she loved it, and it was a nice driving and riding car. Styling was about as good as there was back then also.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Khyron

I had one years ago. I will say this. it was a tought , nice riding car. No complants here  :2thumbs:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

andy74

my boss's brother has a 79 t top car,with 45000 original miles-nice ride.a little slow on take off,but a great cruiser.if i was closer id buy it from ya,if the bodies in good shape

ipstrategies

There were a couple Dodge Magnums for sale where I got my Charger (virginia cars). I can contact him to see if he still has them. I remember one having a really nice leather interior and there was a t-top one.

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Drache

Well I'll give them a call pretty soon and see what this "project" needs.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Shakey

I thought you were going to buy a Trans Am?

Or was it a 66 Belvedere for $1400.00 CDN that had two spare tires?

Drache

nope never said anything about a Belvedere ??? The trans am was inspected and turned out to be a parts car....

Anyways I called the ad and it was a guy listing it for a friend. He said the car has a little rust but didn't remember exactlly where since it was a year since he personally saw the car last. It needs a carb rebuild or a new carb since it sometimes has a black smoke problem? It does have a 400 under the hood. The car is only a couple hours away from me so I'm hoping to go take a look soon.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ponch ®

Quote from: Drache on September 01, 2005, 03:32:09 PM
nope never said anything about a Belvedere ??? The trans am was inspected and turned out to be a parts car....

Anyways I called the ad and it was a guy listing it for a friend. He said the car has a little rust but didn't remember exactlly where since it was a year since he personally saw the car last. It needs a carb rebuild or a new carb since it sometimes has a black smoke problem? It does have a 400 under the hood. The car is only a couple hours away from me so I'm hoping to go take a look soon.

just like ol' times, eh. ::)
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bull

The late '70s Magnum was the dying gasp of the muscle car era for Chrysler. I don't really think they're very good looking at all personally but they were pretty fast and had a lot of cool features. Moparstyle has a Magnum forum in case you want to ask some questions about the one you're interested in. They seem to know their stuff: http://www.moparstyle.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22 A while back I asked them if they were as annoyed by the new Magnum as were are about the new "Charger." Just like here, probably 95% said they liked the Magnum but hated the "Charger."

8WHEELER

Several friends up here have them, I like the body style if I found a good one for the right price
I might pick one up myself. They can be a pain though with the lean burn system on them, hard
to tune and find parts for, and body parts for that old of a car that junk yards really don't hold on to.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

cudaken

They are a ture Mopar, they love rust! Check it just like a Charger, frame rail's well you know the drill.

The big down side is parts, not many where made and as far as I know no Repop part's are made for it. All part's would have to be made by hand. Front end is glass, finding part's for the front would all most impossible find.

I would love to have a good one. It was 1979 Hot Rod Magazine did one they called "Darth Vader" and it was cool as heck, well at 22 year's old I thought it was cool.

Good luck and go look at it and take PIC.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Drache

Well thanks for all the advice. I'm deffinatly going to check it for rust considering where the car is! The car sits all winter out on the front lawn without anything covering it.

The story of the car is that the owner now received it from his father who bought it brand new. The current owner knows dick all about cars except how to start them.

I'm going to go take a look today.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

KMPX2

I had one a few years back. They only made them for 2 years & they made changes from one year to the other so parts can some times be hard to find.

chrisII

ive had a couple 78s. they were nice drivin cars that had TONS of top end (2.50 gears) . ditch the lean burn, its pretty simple and more likely to pass emisions if you have to with a well tuned electronic ign. like cordobas the springs liked to pop into the trunk. i did have alot of fun in the one that i drove a while...also got my first speeding ticket in it   :icon_smile_angry: