News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Volo Auto Museum Offers $1 Million for James Dean Death Car

Started by TruckDriver, August 31, 2005, 09:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

Volo, IL - The Volo Auto Museum will pay $1 million for the missing 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder that James Dean drove to his death on Sept. 30, 1955. Most likely stolen, the car disappeared in 1958.
"Historically speaking, it is one of the most important cars of all time," Volo Auto Museum President Greg Grams said. "It belongs in a museum."
The museum, 27582 W. Volo Village Road, Volo, IL, is commemorating the 50th anniversary of James Dean's death with a temporary exhibit of artifacts from the fatal crash, including the only part of the car known to exist, the restored passenger-side door.
The items are on loan from George Barris, who originally customized the Porsche for Dean. Barris is famous for designing and building cars for movies and television programs, including the Batmobile from the 1960's television series.
To collect the $1 million, Dean's missing Porsche must be fully authenticated by Barris.
Barris and Dean became friends while working together on the set of "Rebel without a Cause." Barris built the '49 Mercury that Dean drove in the movie and supervised the famous chicken-race scene.
"That's where we became friendly, because (Dean) liked cars," Barris said. "He really was a rebel. He wouldn't follow instructions or even suggestions. He wouldn't conform to society."
Dean commissioned Barris to customize the Porsche Spyder with the number "130" on the hood and doors and the nickname "Little Bastard" on the rear.
Barris purchased the wreck after the fatal crash and toured it nationally as part of a police safety demonstration. It disappeared shortly after one such demonstration in Florida.
But before that, the Porsche was involved in various unusual situations. People died, received injuries, and had their lives forever changed. The phenomenon is called "The Curse of the James Dean Death Car."
The Volo Auto Museum is home to the world's largest collection of muscle cars and The George Barris TV & Movie Car Collection, featuring the original Batmobile, General Lee, Grandpa Munster's Drag-U-La and other famous cars.

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

PocketThunder

I've seen the Drag-u-La car in Florida about 7 years ago.  it was pretty cool.

My Dad has the James Dean car in his garage but he's holding out for 1.4 mill.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ChargerSG

Hahahaha you dont think he will letting it go for 1,2 mill? The one who finelly comes up with the car is gonna be rich and have fame, the crime in stealing it must bee way gone...
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Shakey

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on August 31, 2005, 09:04:14 PM

"Historically speaking, it is one of the most important cars of all time," Volo Auto Museum President Greg Grams said. "It belongs in a museum."

For sure!  :haha:

Drache

I remember reading an article that my cousin had. She collected a whole mess of James Dean stuff and this article said that for a short time after the death that the car was put into a museum. Then the article said that someone was going to restore the car or something. It's been a long time since I've read it.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Wakko

I'd rather see it wrecked than restored.  I think the statute of limitations has run out, but you're still guilty of possession of stolen property if you hvae it.  Nobody is going to come forward.

On a side note, do ya'll know that the ruby slippers were stolen last week?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Wakko on September 01, 2005, 01:35:06 PM

Oh damn, I had my eye on those. :icon_smile_kisses:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Dale The Bold

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on August 31, 2005, 09:04:14 PMThe Volo Auto Museum is home to the world's largest collection of muscle cars and The George Barris TV & Movie Car Collection, featuring the original Batmobile, General Lee, Grandpa Munster's Drag-U-La and other famous cars.

Barris can't even build a decent looking General Lee replica.  Yet he takes credit for it.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: Wakko on September 01, 2005, 01:35:06 PM
Yep, the Judy Garland Museum is about 3 hours from me.

mustanghater

did anyone see the show on the history channel with a segment on his car. it told about the curse and everything nbut it was said that people have said that the car is still around. But then they said that this guy said that he can't let anyone have the car for somereason? maybe bacause it had good luck on him?
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Drache

Here's the story of the car afterwards and the so called curse:

After the tragedy, master car customizer George Barris bought the wreck for $2,500. When the wreck arrived at Barris' garage, the Porsche slipped and fell on one of the mechanics unloading it. The accident broke both of the mechanic's legs.

While Barris had bad feelings about the car when he first saw it, his suspicions were confirmed during a race at the Pomona Fair Grounds on October 24, 1956. Two physicians, Troy McHenry and William Eschrid, were both racing cars that had parts from the "Little Bastard." McHenry died when his car, which had the Porsche's engine installed, went out of control and hit a tree. Eschrid's car flipped over. Eschrid, who survived despite serious injuries, later said that the car suddenly locked up when he went into a curve.

The car's malevolent influence continued after the race: one kid trying to steal the Porsche's steering wheel slipped and gashed his arm. Barris reluctantly sold two of the car's tires to a young man; within a week, the man was nearly involved in a wreck when the two tires blew out simultaneously.

Feeling that the Porsche could be put to good use, Barris loaned the wrecked car to the California Highway Patrol for a touring display to illustrate the importance of automobile safety. Within days, the garage housing the Spyder burnt to the ground. With the exception of the "Little Bastard," every vehicle parked inside the garage was destroyed. When the car was put on exhibit in Sacramento, it fell from its display and broke a teenager's hip. George Barkuis, who was hauling the Spyder on a flatbed truck, was killed instantly when the Porsche fell on him after he was thrown from his truck in an accident.

The mishaps surrounding the car continued until 1960, when the Porsche was loaned out for a safety exhibit in Miami, Florida. When the exhibit was over, the wreckage, en route to Los Angeles on a truck, mysteriously vanished. To this day, the "Little Bastard's" whereabouts are unknown.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Wakko

Why would he sell parts from the car??   Anyone have any pics of the wrecked car?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Drache

it wasn't the whole car was stolen, just the body of the car. By the time it was stolen almost all the parts were sold.

And Wakko, for all I'm told, no known pics of the porsche after it crashed exist.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Brock Samson

there was a large article about James Dean's racing days in either R&T or Car and Driver a couple mos. back.. lots of photos too...  :yesnod:

mustanghater

New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

SuBLimE 69

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

Shakey

Quote from: Drache on September 01, 2005, 07:23:24 PM
it wasn't the whole car was stolen, just the body of the car. By the time it was stolen almost all the parts were sold.

And Wakko, for all I'm told, no known pics of the porsche after it crashed exist.

Here you go!

It'll buff out!

Blown70

Good lord that is a wreck,  Someone knows I am sure where the car is.  Amazing how it disappeared....wrong turn somewhere?

Interesting the stories about the accidents that keep happening around the car. :flame:

Drache

Quote from: Blown70 on September 02, 2005, 10:06:34 PM
Good lord that is a wreck,   Someone knows I am sure where the car is.   Amazing how it disappeared....wrong turn somewhere?

The body of the Spyder disappeared off the back of the truck. The truck arrived at it's destination but the car was missing.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Blown70

I find this more interesting, did it fall off?  I mean I have seen cars not exactly tied down well.  I mean I think I would notice the car not being there when I filled up with fuel.....?

Does anyone know more about this?

Drache

Quote from: Blown70 on September 02, 2005, 11:08:33 PM
I find this more interesting, did it fall off?   I mean I have seen cars not exactly tied down well.   I mean I think I would notice the car not being there when I filled up with fuel.....?

Does anyone know more about this?

The car didn't fall off... it just disappeared. The truck was supposed to take something like 4 or 5 days to get to it's destination... it arrived in a week and the car was just missing and the driver couldn't explain how it disappeared.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

ChargerSG

Feels like the driver of the truck made some bucks on the way :yesnod: Sold it and deliverd it, the buyer got a good deal there ;)
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

6pkrunner

And the best part is that is was probably "repaired" to then standards to returen to the road. If it was left in the as crashed condition and could be bought today, $1 million may buy the rights to have a look at it. It would go for substantially mare than that. May take 2,3,4 1971 hemi cuda ragtops to buy it today - if it hasn't been botched.

PURTBOY

JAMES DEAN!!! WELL I AM FROM MARION , INDIANA, THE BIRTHPLACE OF JAMES DEAN. JAMES GREW UP IN JONESBORO, AND FAIRMOUNT , INDIANA AT IS UNCLES FARM WHICH IS STILL THERE TODAY!! JAMES DEAN IS BURIED IN FAIRMOUNT CEMETARY, AND MILLIONS COME TO VISIT HIS GRAVE EACH YEAR. THERE ARE MUSEUMS OUT THE YIN YANG, AND STORES WHO DISPLAY JAMES ARTIFACTS FROM SCHOOL AND GROWING UP IN FAIRMOUNT, AND JONESBORO. EACH YEAR IN SEPTEMBER FAIRMOUNT, GAS CITY, AND MARION HOLD A ENORMOUS OLD CAR SHOW IN TRIBUTE TO JAMES DEAN. MOST ARE CALLED DIFFERENT THINGS NOW, BUT WHEN I WAS GROWING UP, AND THE OLD PEOPLE STILL CALL IT "JAMES DEAN DAYS"!! IF YOU ARE EVER AROUND THESE PARTS OF INDIANA CHECK OUT THE MUSEUMS IN FAIRMOUNT, AND DEFINATLEY VISIT THE OLD CAR SHOWS!!!! I HAVE STUDIED JAMES FOR A WHILE SINCE I WAS A KID, AND HE WAS ONE THING FOR SURE "A REBEL"