News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vote on Beer's next acquistion for his 73 Charger project

Started by Beer, August 31, 2005, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should Beer do for his Charger next?

Get the transmission and convertor
9 (81.8%)
Get a 8 3/4" Rear
2 (18.2%)
Restore the dash
0 (0%)
Redo the seats
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 07, 2005, 11:23:42 PM

Beer

While biding my time waiting for it to get the body done...what shall I dabble with next???

If the vote is for the tranny, say what type and manufacture...
Engine is done and is 402 Smallblock with 414 HP and 466 ft/lbs of torque.
Likely source for Transmission will be Cope Racing, B&M or TCI. (I was favoring Cope, however they have not answered my email inquiry).

Rear will be a junkyard rebuild.

Dash will be a conversion from Gold to Black paintwork and using a Dashpad over the old one.

Seats will be from a uphostery kit.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Nacho-RT74

Interior... since you will be able to ride with you already have with any kind of axle and tranny, just start to enjoin it for a while you are getting the next mechanical upgrades.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Transmission because it will be a lot easier to put the engine and trans in once and be done with it.  You won't enjoy that new interior much if you break a used tranny miles from home with that stroker.  I would go with Cope and whatever he recommends for your application.  They are racers so I wouldn't slam them too much for not getting back to you.  They have a pretty full schedule right now.

The Mad Scientist

Quote from: Ghoste on September 01, 2005, 04:36:36 AM
Transmission because it will be a lot easier to put the engine and trans in once and be done with it.   You won't enjoy that new interior much if you break a used tranny miles from home with that stroker.   I would go with Cope and whatever he recommends for your application.   They are racers so I wouldn't slam them too much for not getting back to you.   They have a pretty full schedule right now.

I agree, tranny is next. 

Oh and if it were me, I'd do the 8 3/4 rear before you tackled the interrior. 

andy74

i agree, get the driveline done,you can sit on a raggedy seat,but broken drivetrain stuff is more of a pain in the ass

cudaken

Hum, I would say install the door's and paint the compartment and Charger. But what do I know? Bumper would be good as well.

Cuda Ken, did not vote, saw no reason to.
I am back

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: Ghoste on September 01, 2005, 04:36:36 AM
Transmission because it will be a lot easier to put the engine and trans in once and be done with it. You won't enjoy that new interior much if you break a used tranny miles from home with that stroker. I would go with Cope and whatever he recommends for your application. They are racers so I wouldn't slam them too much for not getting back to you. They have a pretty full schedule right now.
:iagree: , this is what I would do. Good luck :cheers: !

Dodge69_440

I agree with the other guys, take care of the drivetrain.   Start with the tranny and work your way back to a new rear end.   I have heard good thinks about the TCI 727, but what do I know.

doctorpimp

It doesn't really matter.  You have to get them all anyways behind that HP.
But...Start with the rear-end.
No sense having all that power behind a good tranny and a crappy 8 1/4 (If that's what you have).
I'm getting a Dana 60 for my '73 with trak-lok, 4.10 gears, 35 spline axles and 1350 ujoint flange.  Bulletproof.
Later trans and engine.
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Beer

Quote from: cudaken on September 01, 2005, 06:08:04 PM
Hum, I would say install the door's and paint the compartment and Charger. But what do I know? Bumper would be good as well.

Cuda Ken, did not vote, saw no reason to.

I wish I could, the guy doing the body work has four cars in front of mine...he says avg is 4 months a car.
71 Buick GS
Two 69 Camaro's
64 Vette
then my 73...

hence the time to do the things I am capable of.

Sent another email to Cope, still no response   :eyes:.

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

firefighter3931

Do the trans and matching converter next followed by the rear end. A turbo action 3000 stall would be a nice choice and really wake it up. A set of 3.91 gears would match up well with the rest of your combo.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Yup yup,,, :iagree: with Ron.. Some spring work and tighten up your front end..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Beer

Great looking Charger and young one you have there andy74!

OK looks like the tranny has it...   :yesnod:

Thanks guys for the feedback!

OK 727 seems to have the popular influence over the 904...

Assuming a 727 TCI streetfighter, a Cope Racing, a Mancini Racing or a B&M will do the trick? Also need an flexplate as well as the conveter and the flat metal gasket like spacer that goes between the engine and the tranny?

The 3000 Stall has been mentioned and recommended by pretty much everyone with Converter knowledge.
Did not see one (for a 727) at the turboaction site for the smallblock, they have one for the 904 it appears... :icon_smile_question:
http://www.turboaction.com/con_stallspd1.html

I believe I read that the tranny will bolt into the same 904 crossmember, however the yoke is different and the driveshaft needs to be shortened 4 1/8" or so?

Thanks guys!

Kryp2nitE

why not just build up the 904 and 8 1/4? they can both live under the power your stroker is making and will have less drivetrain loss,
not to mention weight savings

andy74

hey thanks beer! dont forget to get plenty of adult beverages for the time when your working on the car,nothing worse then running out of beer while in the middle of a project! :cheers:

Nacho-RT74

well I was saying about interior since you can get upgraded any part of the drivretrain without need to park really the car.. the standart tranny and rear axle are able to drive what you are doing.

I allways will choose first end the basic restoring job, and after that, the upgrades.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html