News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about my build ::UPDATE:: Timing Help!!

Started by 73ChargerSE, January 02, 2007, 04:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ChargerSE

Well one of the piston skirts was found broken when my machinist was going to assemble the motor.  The pistons are backordered so it will be about 10 days or so before I get those back, but other than that it will be ready to be built.  Aren't the KB240s supposed to be 9.5 to 1?

supserdave

Supposed to be and are could be two different stories. Have him measure how far they are in the hole before you order a set of heads.

73ChargerSE

The engine builder measured the distance down the cylinder and it is .012".  I think I am going to go with a 516 head. Would this be a good choice?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on August 12, 2007, 05:35:59 PM
The engine builder measured the distance down the cylinder and it is .012".  I think I am going to go with a 516 head. Would this be a good choice?

Probably not....the closed chamber head will push your compression ratio over the 10:1 range so it won't be pump gas friendly. The open chamber heads will keep it in the low 9's.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

73ChargerSE

So should I go with 346's like I have?  Or would another head be better?

73ChargerSE

I picked up the engine today.  Here's the pictures of it.  I still need some opinions on what heads to get.  But finally, I've been waiting 2 years to see this engine go to the shop.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on August 12, 2007, 10:50:30 PM
So should I go with 346's like I have?  Or would another head be better?

The 346's are fine and have the flame hardened exhaust seats for unleaded fuel. If you're going to use a cam with more than .510 lift then have the guides trimmed down for incresed retainer clearance.  :Twocents:

Ron

Ps. Engine looks great !  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

73ChargerSE

I've got a .525 lift cam in it.  Will I need to change the valve springs at all to match the cam?  How can the guides be trimmed?  I'm guessing a dremel wouldn't work. :icon_smile_wink:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on August 14, 2007, 09:28:06 PM
I've got a .525 lift cam in it.  Will I need to change the valve springs at all to match the cam?  How can the guides be trimmed?  I'm guessing a dremel wouldn't work. :icon_smile_wink:

The Comp Cams #911 spring is what you need for that cam....get them if you haven't allready.  :yesnod:

The guides need to be cut by the machine shop and a positive type valve seal will need to be installed at the same time. The machinist working on your heads will be familiar with this procedure. Have the valve springs checked for installed height and the correct seat pressure....this is very important for cam longevity.  ;)

Ron

73ChargerSE

If I were to go with Edelbrock heads, would I still have to change the springs and cut the guides?  What would my compression be with the 84cc and the 88cc?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on August 15, 2007, 01:43:20 PM
If I were to go with Edelbrock heads, would I still have to change the springs and cut the guides? 

No mods required for that cam with the e-heads.....lots of retainer to guide clearance and the springs are perfect for the XEHL grind.  :2thumbs:

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on August 15, 2007, 01:43:20 PM
What would my compression be with the 84cc and the 88cc?

I would definately use the closed chamber 84cc heads for tight quench. I need the dome/relief volume and bore diameter on your pistons to calculate the static compression. The piston to deck measurement is .012,  correct ?

Ron

73ChargerSE

The bore is .030 over, so it would be a 4.372, correct? The piston head volume is +5.00 cc.  Yes it is .012 for the piston to deck.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on August 15, 2007, 06:46:55 PM
The bore is .030 over, so it would be a 4.372, correct? The piston head volume is +5.00 cc.  Yes it is .012 for the piston to deck.

Yep, 4.372 is correct on the bore diameter.

Using a .040 compressed gasket and 84cc closed chamber, .012 piston to deck and 5cc dome... i come up with 10.05:1 static compression.

With an 80cc chamber it works out to 10.47:1.....this would require some head surfacing to reduce the chamber volume.

Effective quench falls between .040 & .060 piston to head clearance so you're right in the "zone" which is where you want to be.....yours would end up being .052 using the Felpro # 1009 head gasket.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Nacho-RT74

You think I'll be closer to that Compresion ? I'll use metallick felpro gasket and 452 heads milled down
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

73ChargerSE

When getting the positive seals, what size should I be getting?

73ChargerSE

Well, I bit the bullet and got the 440source heads.  Should I still be using the Felpro #1009? I had ordered a set of Felpro gaskets (KS2110) What head gaskets come in these kits?  I also have a set of new .020 Mopar head gaskets (steel shim)  Would it be good to use these?  Sorry for all the questions, first engine build of my life.

Thanks!
Paul

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on January 14, 2008, 01:01:30 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and got the 440source heads.  Should I still be using the Felpro #1009? I had ordered a set of Felpro gaskets (KS2110) What head gaskets come in these kits?  I also have a set of new .020 Mopar head gaskets (steel shim)  Would it be good to use these?  Sorry for all the questions, first engine build of my life.

Thanks!
Paul

Paul,

use the felpro 1009's...steel shim gakets are a no-no with aluminum heads.  :P

Good score on the 440 source heads  :2thumbs:

Ron

1BAD68

you guys are freaking me out on ring end gap!
I just installed the KB 847 forged stroker pistons in my block and according to their end gap factor sheet, the top ring should be .01576 gapped.
I put the top rings in the cylinder to check and they were .023, so there was nothing I could do but install them.
Someone tell me thats not too tight?

73ChargerSE

Thanks Ron for all your help with this matter. If you ever come down to AZ in 2 years (not 21 yet) I'll buy you a beer or 3.  :smilielol:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on January 14, 2008, 08:32:16 PM
Thanks Ron for all your help with this matter. If you ever come down to AZ in 2 years (not 21 yet) I'll buy you a beer or 3.  :smilielol:

I'm in...see ya in a couple of years !  :icon_smile_big:  :cheers:

Any questions on assembly or tuning just ask  ;)

Ron

73ChargerSE

I may need a tutorial on how to break it in.  What fluids etc.

Also, will my 650 CFM Edelbrock deliver enough fuel for this?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73ChargerSE on January 14, 2008, 09:52:53 PM
I may need a tutorial on how to break it in.  What fluids etc.

Also, will my 650 CFM Edelbrock deliver enough fuel for this?

Paul, get yourself a Napa gold oil filter and some Shell rotella dieasel oil for the breakin. You should also use the Comp Cams additive for the initial fireup and on each oilchange. This additive will keep your engine happy....use it !  :yesnod:

On that type of build, a performance dual plane intake maniold (Performer rpm) and a 750 cfm carb would be my first choice. The Proform Carbs are awesome and easy to tune. The edelbrock carbs are not set up for warmed up engine builds and are a bitch to tune.  :P

Ron

73ChargerSE

I've got a Performer RPM, looks like I'll have to shell out money for another carb.  Oh boy this just keeps better  :P

I could probably get the Rotella for pretty cheap (I work at an International trucks dealership) so I'm good to go on that.

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

73ChargerSE

Basics:
400 bored .30
KB Hypereutetic 9.5 to 1
.525 Lift Cam 275/287 Duration 110 Centerline 231/237 at .050
440Source Stealth Heads
Static compression around 10.05 to 1
Mopar Performance 1.5 ratio roller rockers
Edelbrock Performer RPM
Holley 750 Double Pumper

Found a killer deal on a TCI Streetfighter, brand new, $50.  I need to know what torque converter to get so I can start putting this motor back in.  My current tire size is 215/75R14. My tire size matters in torque converter selection, correct?  I am either going to be running 3.91 gears or 3.23 gears, depending on if the 3.23 gears are in good shape.  I'm looking for a good street converter that will see the track maybe twice a year. If I change my tire size will I have to deal with the torque converter again?  Will the gears affect my selection?

Thanks!
Paul