News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about my build ::UPDATE:: Timing Help!!

Started by 73ChargerSE, January 02, 2007, 04:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ChargerSE

I found a deal on a Hughes 2500 stall converter.  Would this be about right or would I need more stall speed?

firefighter3931

The Hughes converter is a better choice than the TCI...go for the Hughes  :2thumbs:

Paul, test fit the head gaskets before you install them....pay close attention to the chambers and make sure there is no overhang. The first batch of 440 source heads had some issues with gasket overhang.  440 source sells a larger diameter ROL brand headgasket that will work if there are issues with the Felpros.  ;)

I would also recommend having the heads looked at at your machine shop. Have the guides and retainers/locks looked at closely  :Twocents:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

73ChargerSE

Sorry, was referring to the tranny that I got for $50.  So the Hughes would be the right stall speed for me? I noticed there was a little bit of gasket overhang, but I'm needing to take the heads off anyways for pushrod clearancing, so I'm glad I know now.  Can I get the ROL gaskets locally? (Chain stores like NAPA etc.)  The guy with the converter wants $150 for it.

Also, what is the number for the spark plugs I need for these heads?

Thanks!

firefighter3931

The Hughes 2500 stall will be fine  :2thumbs:

The ROL's are available through 440 source and should be available locally....just pull the part number from the 440source website and call around.  :yesnod:

There was a thread on the correct plugs for the Stealth heads awhile back. I posted a link to an NGK v-groove plug that will work fine, but i don't remember the plug # off hand.  :P

You could also pm Mally69 for the part number or do a search.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

metallicareload99

I think these are the right spark plugs for most applications with the 440 Source Heads, I figure I have almost 10 to 1 compression with my 440 and will run the these NGK plugs.

NGK Spark Plugs 4291

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NGK%2D4291&FROM=MG

I don't have access to the Champion plugs that 440 Source sells at the moment (in storage), but these NGK's seem to be dimensionally identical to the Champions.  I only got the Champions to compare to.  I have yet to run the 440 Source Heads
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

firefighter3931

Quote from: metallicareload99 on May 01, 2008, 12:34:56 AM
I think these are the right spark plugs for most applications with the 440 Source Heads, I figure I have almost 10 to 1 compression with my 440 and will run the these NGK plugs.

NGK Spark Plugs 4291

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NGK%2D4291&FROM=MG

I don't have access to the Champion plugs that 440 Source sells at the moment (in storage), but these NGK's seem to be dimensionally identical to the Champions.  I only got the Champions to compare to.  I have yet to run the 440 Source Heads

Yes, those are the correct plugs  :2thumbs:

Ron

73ChargerSE

The Build Recap:
Basics:
400 bored .30
KB Hypereutetic 9.5 to 1
.525 Lift Cam 275/287 Duration 110 Centerline 231/237 at .050
440Source Stealth Heads
Static compression around 10.05 to 1
Mopar Performance 1.5 ratio roller rockers
Edelbrock Performer RPM
Holley 750

I was having a misfire problem in my no. 1 cylinder which I believe I fixed.  Got a new Mopar Performance Orange Box because my other one was toast.  When I drove it after the misfire fix, it was pretty shaky and didn't have much power.  It's now backfiring through the carb.  What can I do to remedy this?  Would this be a timing issue?  My plugs were tan with one being somewhat wet.  I've tried 10* and 15* initial timing and it all seemed to fall into place with vacuum, etc. Even then it was doing the same thing.  I'm at my wits end with this and want to be able to drive it.

Thanks!
Paul

Harlow

Not sure how much help I can lend. I'll give you a bump atleast. Does it backfire only when you step on it? It could be a lean issue at WOT. Did you have the wires off when you fixed the #1 cylinder misfire? I'd double check the firing order to make sure you got them back on there correctly. Good luck.

73ChargerSE

Firing order is correct.  I set it to 12* initial timing and it still doesn't want to keep running.  I've tried using manifold vacuum, ported vacuum and everything.  It's still popping through the carb and now through the exhaust as well.  Can anyone help me with this?

firefighter3931

Try bumping the timing up to 18* and see how it runs. You might need to re-curve your distributor. Disconnect the vacuum advance and make sure all the ports are blocked off. Put a vacuum guage on it and see how much vacuum you have at idle.

It could be a timing issue but also a lean condition (vacuum leak)

Ron

mauve66

i didn't read all the comments hear but do you have a pressure gauge on the fuel pump?? if the pressure is erratic it will give you fits trying to run it, found that out the hard way when i sold my 6pak, new 4bbl ran the same then after the new fuel pump its fine
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

maxwellwedge

Did you do a compression test? Almost sounds like bad valve(s).
What is your vacuum like?