News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Deal...or no deal?

Started by hotrod98, January 03, 2007, 02:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

These two birds just sold for less than 100k for the pair. What do you think? I say even though they're pretty crunchy, getting the pair for less than 100k was a pretty good deal.
BTW, the guy that bought them already owned a daytona.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Shakey

Depends what he plans on doing with the cars and how deep his pockets are.   :yesnod:

If he bought them to restore to show quality and then sell them I say - no deal!

hemi68charger

DANG !!!!!

Man, I see that and it makes me sick....... I gotta get this Hemi Charger finished so I can get a winged car !!!!!  I have a friend who may be buying a v-code 4-speed 'Bird pretty finish in a current restoration for 85K........

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

I had read the thread over on Moparstyle about those cars, and I do think it was probably a good deal based on current market prices.  For those who have been in this "hobby" for very long, it boggles the mind to think about PROJECT cars going for that much money.  That's what the market will bear at the moment, so that's my measuring stick for saying it was a good deal.

If the seller (HarryT) had been more patient, he may have been able to sell them for more - but I don't blame him for selling them.  Based on the fact that those are not multiple-carb cars, the total price might even be considered high by some.

Oh, and I did read earlier in HarryT's threads that the cars were kept inside until Hurricane Hugo blew the barn down that they were stored in.  He seems like a straight-up guy though.

Geno

hotrod98

Geno, I remember him saying something about the barn being blown away, but hurricane Hugo hit back in 1989. That was almost 18 years ago. I would have found a way to protect them better or sold them to someone that would take care of them.
It's the same old thing...I'm going to restore them some day.
At least he made the right choice and sold them now instead of just leaving them back there for another twenty years.
Looking more and more like I'll never own a real bird.  :rotz:

Charles Addams

THE CHARGER PUNK

any specs on those cars? 440's? 6-packs? hemis? columns? 4-spds?

Old Moparz

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 03, 2007, 04:08:19 PM

Looking more and more like I'll never own a real bird.  :rotz:

That's the same thing I see for myself & the reason I am building the Daytona replica. Since the early 1980's I've always been a few bucks short, or late on the deal for whatever winged car I ran across. Only one was truly affordable, a Superbird project in which the body work had been done & ready for paint with a price of $2200 or so. It was sold before I got there. A few years later I found another one & went to see it. Asking price was $5300 & at the time I had a buyer for one of my cars back out since he lost his job. Then just after I bought my house in 1989, another one was available for $15,000 & I was tapped out from the closing on my house.

Prices looked like they were very steady & very realistic from then on for years. I had figured I'd have one soon, but then the market went nuts & every winged car sold for more than the last one until houses were cheaper. As much as I like them, I am not taking out a mortgage for one. They're just friggen cars.   ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hotrod98

I was in the same predicament six years ago. I had just bought a new home and wasn't in a position to go to the bank for more money when I found a superbird for 30k. It was a yellow 440-4 bench seat auto car in #2 condition. I found the car again 2 years ago and the price was up to 50k. I never realized that these cars would just all of a sudden shoot up the way that they have. We can probably thank Barrett-Jackson for that. I should have reached out and tripped Craig Jackson at the SEMA show last year when I had the chance.  ;D

The two cars that were just sold were both 440-4 cars. The owner/seller had thought that one of them was a six-pack car. The new owner may have a big job ahead of him. They appear to be a little crusty.

Charles Addams

hemigeno

:hah:
Quote from: hotrod98 on January 03, 2007, 05:02:03 PM
I should have reached out and tripped Craig Jackson at the SEMA show last year when I had the chance.

dads_69

100 for the pair, even though they need restored, I say smokin' deal. The SuperBird that is up here, that I missed out on for $1700.00 bucks, yes I said $1700.00. I hear it up for sale again two towns over for $85 grand. True or false, I don't know yet, but the three guys who own it want to cash in word is around town. Its a B5 body black top and int. car w/a 440 auto.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

hotrod98

Charles Addams

Charger_Fan

Geez, that turned into a tough crowd there for a while! :rotz:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hotrod98

A lot of skeptics over there, but overall a pretty good bunch of guys and gals.

Charles Addams

THE CHARGER PUNK

theres 2 superbirds sitting where i live, ones in a garage and ones in a backyard with its wing visible above a fence,the on in the yard is an ev2 4-spd car 440 4bbl while the garage car is an ek2 hemi column car, the yard one he wants 35k and its a harsh resto proj and the garage one is not 4 sale-MATT

Ghoste

So are ya rethinkin' the harsh resto one?

runninhorn

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on January 04, 2007, 02:56:42 PM
theres 2 superbirds sitting where i live, ones in a garage and ones in a backyard with its wing visible above a fence,the on in the yard is an ev2 4-spd car 440 4bbl while the garage car is an ek2 hemi column car, the yard one he wants 35k and its a harsh resto proj and the garage one is not 4 sale-MATT

where do you live?

69bronzeT5

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on January 04, 2007, 02:56:42 PM

I live like 1hr from him, MATT TELL ME WHERE THOSE BIRDS ARE!!!!!!!!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Aero426

The guy who bought the two Birds is selling this Daytona clone that's been discussed here recently.   He's going to restore one of the Birds as a father son project.  One car is in quite a bit better shape than the other.   

BigBlockSam

Quotetheres 2 superbirds sitting where i live, ones in a garage and ones in a backyard with its wing visible above a fence,the on in the yard is an ev2 4-spd car 440 4bbl while the garage car is an ek2 hemi column car, the yard one he wants 35k and its a harsh resto proj and the garage one is not 4 sale-MATT 

hey PUNK pm me with the location and info on the outside bird. thanks Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

nakita7

Prices looked like they were very steady & very realistic from then on for years. I had figured I'd have one soon, but then the market went nuts & every winged car sold for more than the last one until houses were cheaper. As much as I like them, I am not taking out a mortgage for one. They're just friggen cars.   ::)

Seriously, just wait. I would like to get one too. Sure the price of Mopars is going nuts, and everyone feels they have to buy before they go higher. North America is doing good right now, house prices are up, economy is good, everyone has huge equity right now, and wages are NOT going up like Mopars, that's for sure...but what do you think will happen when that changes? The market WILL correct, interest rates WILL go up, everything is cyclic. Mopar prices were up in the early 80's and went down in the late 80's, early 90's. You could get good deals. Then the million dollar Cudas started happening, and now look where we are now. It won't last forever. It can't. Keep searching and waiting....

69bronzeT5

Quote from: BigBlockSam on April 29, 2007, 11:12:08 AM
Quotetheres 2 superbirds sitting where i live, ones in a garage and ones in a backyard with its wing visible above a fence,the on in the yard is an ev2 4-spd car 440 4bbl while the garage car is an ek2 hemi column car, the yard one he wants 35k and its a harsh resto proj and the garage one is not 4 sale-MATT 

hey PUNK pm me with the location and info on the outside bird. thanks Rene

If anything Im gonna find out first :P

BigBlockSam

QuoteIt won't last forever

i agree. i've seen them sliding a little lately .

QuoteIf anything Im gonna find out first   

finsih the one you've got , if you get to many projects none of them get finished  . :yesnod: i have to keep trying to get my bird . it's a life time dream of mine. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69bronzeT5

Well the only thing Id do if I found those Birds would be take pics of them for my website. And I asked CPUNK about them and he said that he hasnt actually seen them. His friend has seen them and knows where they are but he wont say exactly where because he keeps stuff like that to himself or something like that.