News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

from brench to bucket seats

Started by ch7073, January 04, 2007, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch7073

I have a 73 charger that came with a bench seat. I am in the process of purchasing a set of 73 bucket seats. I would like to get some infomation and advice about making this change to my car. I just can't stand the bench seat anymore. So advice and information about installation and how to make this change would be of great help.

Charger1973

Id have to look at my car to see for sure but the bench seat holes might be reused when mounting the buckets.  If thats the case, you will only need to drill the holes for the inside tracks.  Make sure you reinforce them and not just drill a hole and bolt it down and call it good.  Look where the bench was mounted to see what I mean. 

NHCharger

I swapped my bench for buckets in my 72. I'll have to check to see if the two outside bolt holes will work on the buckets. As Charger1973 mentioned you will need a small piece of metal to reinforce the floor. On the Charger I removed the buckets from they were not even tacked to the floor, their approx. 2x3 in size.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ch7073

Great. I have seen some repro mounting brackets for the bucket seats on ebay for about $29.00. Thanks for the help and quick response.

NHCharger

$29.00 for a few pieces of 1/8"metal ???   :o   Go to a local body shop, they will have some scrap metal that will only cost you a six pack.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

TylerCharger69

Aren't the holes for the bucket seat option already there  and are plugged off?    Or....is there at least a divot in the metal where they would normally be drilled out at?   Thought I'd ask....

ch7073

You know I have not had the carpet out in years so I really don't remember. That would be great if it is already marked. You would think it would be. Guess I will find out for sure once I get my bucket seats.

NHCharger

It's been six years since I installed the buckets. But I do remember that there were no pre-drilled holes or dimples for where the holes go. Since my 71 had buckets I was able to use those for a guide.
The good news is I still haven't started to re-assemble my 71 that I had painted last winter. I can measure where the holes are for the buckets this weekend and post it here for you.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

TylerCharger69

Okay...well  with that tid-bit of information I wasn't aware of......are the steel re-enforcement plates there...where the stud goes through  or do those need to be installed as well?

ch7073

Yes if you can get the measurements that would be great. I assume that folks that have made the bucket seat change are happy. Any feedback on that matter would be greatly appreciated.

NHCharger

OK, just checked my 71 with buckets against the 72 parts car with the bench seat., I was wrong (hard to believe :P).
The bench and the buckets use the same two holes near the doors. The inside holes near the tranny tunnel are approx. 14 1/2" from the outside holes. There ARE divots where the holes are supposed to go. Maybe I measured to double check before drilling holes in the car. There's actually two sets of divots, so just measure your seat tracks to see which pair to use.
I just removed the carpet from the parts car a few months ago. I know there wasn't any reinforcing plates under the carpet and I know it's the original carpet because the tag on the back was dated 1972.

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ch7073

Thanks for the measurements. Just won my ebay auction on the seats. Had to pay more than I thought but it was about right as I have been watching what a pair of bucket seats cost. The real shock was the cost of seat covers to match front and back at Legendary: $770.00 if I get the two tone green and about $150.00 less if I get the dark green. But, they are the only one's that have the correct stuff unless I want white or black.

Chryco Psycho

make sure you add a reinforcement plate to the floor for the inner set of seat bolts

ch7073

Thanks I will be sure to do that. Looked at my 70 charger which had buckets from the factory and saw the plates on that one. This is getting expensive. Now I am trying to find the console, floor shifter, all linkage and the correct steering column for a floor shift car. These parts are expensive. Anyone with help or advise on this swap please advise.