News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much vaccum required to open and close Headlight doors?

Started by Back N Black, January 05, 2007, 09:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

Just finishing up my grill restoration and decided to apply vacuum to the pods with my hand squeeze vacuum pump(not the technical term).
Anyhow,when i apply vacuum the door opens fine,but when i switch it to close the door,i cannot get the door to close.
With the door disconnected from the pod no problem,also the same problem on  the other side.
Any suggestions?

resq302

To close the doors will require a little more force than opening them as there is a magnet inside the vacuum pod that assists in holding the doors open.  As for the vacuum number to close them, I don't know.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Back N Black

Problem solved,it was the pods.I ran a vacuum line from my truck and they would close in a jerky motion and open smoothly.Replaced the pods now they open and close smooth with the hand held vacuum pump.FYI for you guy ,just might want to check before you put your grill assay. back in your car.I have 6 of these pods and i picked 2 crappy ones to restore,oh well!

burnt69

I took mine apart and cleaned them I didn't see any magnets. Just had corrosion and a piece of rubber. They work fine now.

Back N Black

I did not know you could take them apart? how did you seperate them?

resq302

You can take the pods apart but they were originally pressed together and with them being made out of that alluminum or pot metal, chances are they would break easily if you were to get them apart.  I tinkered with one of mine that were broken already and pulled it apart.  On the diaphragm inside the pod, there is a magnet on the bottom part of the base that has a round magnet, this makes contact with the metal on the bottom of the pod and assists in holding the headlight door open.  Hope that makes sense to everyone.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

burnt69

I very carefully pried the lip up all the way around with a small screw driver then put a little silicon on the seal and took a small hammer and bent the lip back over not perfect but they do not leak and do work.