News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paintingcalipers, rear drums, and front rotor hubs on 69 charger

Started by Chatt69chgr, January 06, 2007, 09:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I have a new set of slider calipers, rotors, and rear brake drums for my 69 charger.  Were these items painted from the factory?  I tentatively plan on using torque thust style wheels so these items would be visible and I don't want them to rust.  I have heard that the caliper is ususally left an as-cast color.  I have heard that some paint the rotor hub and the drums black.  Also have heard that supposedly, the factory painted the rotor hubs and drums with a rustoleum primer color red on certain cars in 69.  I know it's my car and I can do what I want and that I am not trying to do a "perfect restoration" as such but would value input from forum members on this subject.  Thanks.

BlueSS454

I gave all my visible brake parts a few coats of Spray Gray from Eastwood.  I have done this on both my Chevelles as well as the Charger and never had any rust come through in the 6 years they have been together.
Tom Rightler

Silver R/T

I would sandblast surfaces on drums before painting so paint etches into it real well
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

resq302

Depending on what type of wheels your car originally came with, the fronts of the drums could have been painted with a brick red color paint but that was only for the "road wheels" (Magnum 500).  Regarding your question about the calipers, they were never originally painted and left bare cast iron, the same with the rotors.  I have used cast iron grey for the calipers and detail gray for the rotors just to prevent the rust from starting on them.  So far, they look just as good as the day I painted them.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chatt69chgr

Thanks resq302.  I thought I had read somewhere that the drum faces on some vehicles were painted the brick red color.  Didn't know it was on the applications with magnum 500's.  I think I will follow your advice on the calipers and rotors.  Probably will paint the rear drums similarly for now and then can always paint the face with the brick red later if I decide to.