News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing new seat covers - do it yourself or let a pro do it?

Started by nh_mopar_fan, January 09, 2007, 02:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nh_mopar_fan

New factory repo seat covers for front split bench and rear seats.

How difficult an install is that? The directions warn that if you've got no experience doing it, send it out.

Anyone tackle this themselves?

Your thoughts?

Beer

I did a thread on the redoing the  Back seat, it was not that hard, the tools were cheap. I would give it a try.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

mikepmcs

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,5642.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,5364.0.html

I have also done the upholestry on a 1968 Firebird(front buckets and rear) and it wasn't too difficult, just alot of grunting and stretching and drinking(my favorite part of any car job)

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger1973

Always hear it is do-able.  I have never tried t myself though.  What do you guys do about seat foam though when it needs repair too?  I dont think they sell the foam, not for my car anyways

mikepmcs

I'm not saying it's the right way to do it but if you can't find factory foam, this is what i did on the 68 Firebird.  Went to JoANN fabrics and bought the very dense light green foam padding, roughly 4 inches thick and different lengths.  got myself an electric knife(the ones you cut meat with $14.00) and just shaped it around the corners and made it look the best i could.  It turned out great and was a little more sturdy than an original IMHO.
Once the cover is on, no one will know the difference.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bull

I'm a pansy when it comes to body work and some other things but I'm going to redo the seats myself. My plan is to have the frames sandblasted, primed and painted and install new foam and the covers all myself. All you really need are some bullring pliers and bullrings. Maybe take a few pictures of the seats before you tear them apart but it really is easy. I helped a friend do them on his Cuda and all you really need is a few functional marbles in your head and a little upper body strength.

Two other things, some guys like to put a square chunk of old carpeting between the foam and the frame to help keep the foam from collapsing into the springs. The front foam is specially formed for specific years and models but the rear foam is a generic piece.

Rocky

The new Mopar Muscle has an article on this.  I just got it in the mail today.

NHCharger

Quote from: Rocky on January 10, 2007, 03:13:43 AM

Yup, and if you read it they said that since they didn't have much experience installing seat covers they had a pro do it.
Doesn't look that difficult. is this for your car or Deb's?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Recharger

I did my seats this summer with my dad, and honestly it was pretty easy.  Neither of us had ever done it before & we weren't sure what we were getting into, but like Bull said, it just takes some common sense.  I'd recommend doing it on a hot day where you can heat up the vinyl/leather to make it more pliable. 

Rocky

Quote from: NHCharger on January 10, 2007, 09:46:05 PM
Quote from: Rocky on January 10, 2007, 03:13:43 AM

Yup, and if you read it they said that since they didn't have much experience installing seat covers they had a pro do it.
Doesn't look that difficult. is this for your car or Deb's?

They used a Mexican guy named "Emo". :lol:  I think it would be worth it to spend $12 on hog rings and the pliers, and just try it yourself.  If you screw it up, then you're out what...  A cheap case of Beer? 

nh_mopar_fan

If you tear the cover, you're out more than a case of beer.

It's for Deb's ragtop.

It's getting a completely new interior.

68 RT

I did mine myself and its not bad at all. It is best to heat the seat covers a little be fore install easier to strech. Just lay them out in the sun. But good hog ring pliers not cheap ones.
Take your time and they will turn out looking great!

Dennis K

I bought the new Legendary seat covers and foam and was planning to do it all myself, but when I took the first seat apart, I discovered that there was a lot more to the seat than just foam and upholstery, such as burlap with wires in it and felt padding, etc. so I "chickened out" and brought them to a local upholstery professional, who charged me $250 to do the front seats. At the time I was working lots of OT and had very little spare time and a little extra $$, but when I got them back, I couldn't help the feeling that I could have done as good or better myself. The seats just look a little lumpy in some places and the vinyl is a little loose in some areas. Maybe a few days in the sun with the car windows up will do them some good. They do look good, but I think they could be better. So basically what I'm trying to say is try it yourself. I had a pro do it and wish I would have done it myself.

mikepmcs

Same thing happened to me when I had a "PRO"  do my sunvisors on a 68 Firebird.   A nieghborhood kid would have done a better job.

Definitely try it yourself. 

smasherofall

i did mine myself, should probably smooth out a little in the sun. i did mine last winter, just threw them in the drier for a couple minutes:

JimShine

I did mine. The only mistake I made was trying to reuse the old foam as is. The old covers forced the foam into a desired shape. The new covers are softer and reflect the actual shape and look of the foam to some degree. Get the foam looking good and you should have no problem. I also noticed that the strip of plastic that you punch the hog rings into want to seat along the edge of the metal frame. When yopu pull that plastic to rest against the edge all around, everything else seems to align itself.

charge-it

Don`t feel intimidated by trying it yourself. I did my set of front buckets and rear seat in my 70 GTX and they turned out great! I then did the front buckets in my 64 Sport Fury and those were a major pain in the arse, lots more work, but they came out awesome as well. Take your time and they will come out nice!
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com