News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pinion Snubber Trouble

Started by G Force, September 01, 2005, 10:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Force

The rubber part (bumper) of the Pinion snubber keeps breaking off. I have replaced it many times and it only last a short time.
I have also tried the American racing Replacement pinion snubber and that broke as well.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Any suggestions as to why this is happening?
When my car shifts (727 auto) I hear the snubber (without the rubber) hitting the bottom of the car.. Is that normal?
Thanks in advance for the replies.

8WHEELER

It should not fall off that much, I made mine I bent the metal tabs strait welded a 1in block in and then
welded the metal tabs that go through the rubber to the new 1in block, now it was touching the bottom
of the car just sitting there, it lasted 24yrs like that racing and driving it everywhere. It finally fell off in my
garage last year I figured I was lucky it fell off in the garage and I made it in 1980.
Yeah I hate it when its metal on metal back there its not good and I only drove mine once that way before
finding out my snubber had fallen off. Is it catching on a lip under the car down there?? there should be a
nice flat spot there where it is supposed to touch so as to not have these problems.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

firefighter3931

How tired are your leaf springs....sounds like the axle is winding up a lot. There must be a reason the snubber bumpers keep coming off....perhaps too much axle rotation is causing the problem. The snubber should be placed approx 1in from the floor to be effective.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

I had the same problem before I replaced my sagging springs.......new springs from www.espo.com and the snubber site comfortably 1-2" below the floor pan
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

G Force

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 02, 2005, 11:25:28 AM
How tired are your leaf springs....sounds like the axle is winding up a lot. There must be a reason the snubber bumpers keep coming off....perhaps too much axle rotation is causing the problem. The snubber should be placed approx 1in from the floor to be effective.

Ron

I have new springs in the car. I noticed the area where the Snubber hits the car is dented in. Could this be the reason the rubber keeps breaking off?

8WHEELER

It should be a smooth flat surface, it is possible if there is ridges in there for the rubber to catch
it can take them out faster, sounds like you have been hitting that area hard with no rubber for
awhile now, you may need to fix  that area now possibly welding on a new steel plate in that area.
If your springs are good and you have 1in of clearance there with the car on load you should be fine.

Dan

firefighter3931

Quote from: G Force on September 02, 2005, 11:47:42 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 02, 2005, 11:25:28 AM

Ron

I have new springs in the car. I noticed the area where the Snubber hits the car is dented in. Could this be the reason the rubber keeps breaking off?

8wheeler makes a good point, if the contact area is mangled up it will hack up the rubber bumper. Something else to look at is your pinion angle.....it should be 5*-7* down with the suspension loaded.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

G Force

Thanks Guys .. Appreciate the input!  The area that is damaged is pushed in. I think the rubber goes into the pushed in area and gets caught in it and Twists off. Do you think  I could  Put a 1/4" thick steel plate over the dented in area and use sheet metal scres to hold it in place? The last time I had welding done to a car I owned .... Well lets just say there was no car left, and that was a 69 Camaro convertible  :flame:

8WHEELER

Yes there is some good bonding materials out there, but I cannot recommend one
myself, because I had a body man tell me that the bonding material that he was using
on my trunk pan was stronger that an actual weld, well there is no engine in it yet and
it is coming apart allready, took my car back from him and lost about 7k in body work
because of his bad work.

Dan

Ghoste

You say you have new springs, but I'm just wondering how new and if they are MP replacements?  I've heard a lot of horror stories about MP springs going bad within a year.
Also, I think having extra plate in that area is a good idea but I'm not too sure about doing it with sheet metal screws.  I think it'd be a lot smarter to weld it in there.  A pain I know but worth doing right.