News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ford vs. Cummins

Started by ChargerRT440, July 23, 2005, 12:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerRT440

Chryco Psycho

cool ,not like I didn`t expect that though  ;D

Charger_Croatia

Poor Ford....ha,ha

I have one clip on my PC with Dodge racing trucks diesel powered - Cummins of course (featuring Metallica song). Great!!

Anyone else see it?
I gues it could be find on link bellow

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/

'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Telvis

That looks like fun! It would have been embarrasing to be the guy in the ford.

golden73

That was pretty cool. Behold, the power of a mopar.

69pistolgripRT

All right...I'm gonna get slaughtered for this.   My 2000 cummins broke down more than the porsche 914 I had in high school. I didn't want to do it, but I crossed over to the darkside. May not be the quickest...but it's the best truck I've ever owned. Gulp...its a phord.

*plus, I've got three little ones and the quad cab is super big.
Let the flaming begin.
1969 RT 440 Pistol Grip 4-speed

Savannah, Ga

MGBRingo

I drive a Ford Super Duty also.  It came down to a new Dodge or a new Ford.  My mechanic friend at the Dodge dealer talked me into the Ford because of  all the problems he saw at the dealership.

I have been very happy with it.  Bought it new in 2000. 

Another friend drives a Dodge Cummins and has had very good luck with it.  He gets better mileage than I do but I have quite a bit more pulling power.

Ghoste

A lot of it comes down to gearing too.  I get in debates with my father all the time because he is a Ford man through and through and I'm, well, I'm here aren't I?
He's pulled some heavy stuff with his Powerchoke but he was pretty specific about tire sizes and rearend ratio's for his application.

Chryco Psycho

My Cummins has been awesome , it has over 300,000 miles trouble free .
every company builds the occasional Lemon unfortunatly

wetfeetmi

I feel I need to add my 2 cents! My '97 Ford has 230k miles and never missede a beat. My father '98 Cummins has not been as kind to him. Nothing major, but little things at quality control and engineering that should have, and maybe have been addressed. I am not impressed with it and I tried to keep an open mind.
Did i mention the 20 miles per gallon?

RECHRGD

I've got an 04 Cummins.  It's my first diesel and I'm impressed with the power.  One question though; At lower RPM's it runs smooth as glass, but at around 2000RPM I feel a slight vibration.  It's not wheel or tire related as the vibration can be felt in different gears at the same RPM.  It's not bad by any means but it's enough to turn the cars in the rearview mirror a little fuzzy on the highway.  It this normal for a Cummins?  I'm thinking maybe a slight balancing problem with the engine.  Thanks,  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

sixpack70

My friends dad had the tranny in his 02 die after 12k miles. At least it was under warranty.
1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Charger R/T 440+6 4spd

73 Charger 440

We have a 2002 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins auto, only problem we had is the tranny... so we upgraded it to a heavy duty one from ATS, and also it has a upgraded Fuel system thanks to Cummins of South Miami. We had a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 speed, not one single problem at all, not one... Chrysler wanted the truck back due to "salt water damage during transportation", so we got a 2005 after driving the 2004 for 6 months and putting 99k miles on it. The 2005 we have worked great until a bearing in the tranny went. Before the Dodges we had a 2000 Ford F250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke, it was a great great truck... it broke down once when a sensor went, stupid problem but it was in the middle of absolutely nowhere, otherwise we would have gotten a new sensor and kept going. The 2002 has been sitting for a year (sometimes friends borrow it locally), it has 350,000 miles on it. The 2005 has ~100,000 on it.

Edit: The 2005 gets around 22 empty doing 70 or such, and 14-16 towing ~20,000lbs (thats what we use these trucks for).

bull

There's no question that Dodge needs to take a hard look at their automatic trannies that are installed behind the Cummins engines. They're very weak. My dad has a '95 1 ton Cummins Ram and has had nothing but trouble with the auto transmission. But then I have heard that the Ford manual transmissions are going bad behind their diesel engines while the autos are doing fine. So I guess if you buy a Ford diesel you should get an auto trans and if you buy a Dodge Cummins you should get a manual trans. At least for now.

RECHRGD

The 04 models received a much upgraded auto.  It's supposed to be pretty bullit-proof.  That's what I've got and no problems or complaints yet.  Haven't heard any complaints about them from other either.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32