News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone got an Emergency Stash?...

Started by Brock Samson, September 01, 2005, 11:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

Living here in San Francisco where we live with the daily threat of a major quake, I've got about 5 gallons of water in plastic jugs, two flash lights with extra batteries, a couple of transitor radios, several tins of tuna and noodles etc... and an old fashioned dial type phone... and a wrench near the gas main...
   when we had our last big quake in '89 the most important things became obvious...
   rule number one,..  dont be under any bricks or concrete...

So what contigency are you prepared for?..

last426

Quote from: Stratocharger on September 01, 2005, 11:22:59 PM
and a wrench near the gas main...
    when we had our last big quake in '89 the most important things became obvious...
    rule number one,..   dont be under any bricks or concrete...

Don't overlook that you have a hot water heater full of potable water.  One fault is about two blocks from me and now, since much of my retirement is in the value of the house, I am thinking of getting earthquake insurance.  But after a good shaker the value would likely drop to nothing for a while like last time anyway.  Kim

TheGhost

Living here in San Francisco where we live with the daily threat of a major quake, I've got about 5 gallons of water in plastic jugs, two flash lights with extra batteries, a couple of transitor radios, several tins of tuna and noodles etc... and an old fashioned dial type phone... and a wrench near the gas main...

All we got out here are Tornadoes.  Can't really stockpile against them.

Of course, there is always the threat of Yellowstone's giant volcano blowing, in which case, the midwest is royally screwed.....
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Brock Samson

Allot of our plans are dependant on being at home and able to retrieve these items... personally i sure don't want to be driving through the Financial Dist. which is predicted to be buried in 6 feet of shattered glass...

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Telvis

We keep a full 7' tall pantry full of canned goods and dry staple foods. I also keep cases of canned drinks and bottled watter. We also keep large packs of batteries and a couple of portable radios. I keep several handguns, rifles and shotguns with ample ammunition. We have exrtra blankets and pillows ready when needed. I always keep three jerri cans of Kerosene full and ready to go. I have three heaters for winter emergencies. We could hunker down here for about a month with little inconvenience. If we were forced to stay loger we could make it three months scraping by. It would not be comfortable.

Bluebeast

I always keep extra canned foods around just in case. I also keep a good deal of water, but I buy new water every six months or so and replace the old.
1970 Dodge Charger 500 SE 4speed

RD

yep, got ammo dumps all across my county just in case the government disintegrates and the kansas mafia has to take over with a little ol' fashioned fascist dicatorship.

i am joking of course.

canned food, water, gas, battery powered radio, flashlights, candles, blankets and a nice soutwest corner of a basement.  just in case the tornaders come in.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Lowprofile

My wife and I Carry backpacks full of survival gear and MRE's. 1 Change of clothes, raingear, Mag Lite w/batteries, The always trusty Gerber Tools, A mini resperator w/ xtra filters, First aid supplies & 2 bottles of water.
We carry these in our Trucks. We're on the road 11+ months a year.

After 911 and the always unpredictable mother nature, you can never be too carefull.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Stormhammer

Quote from: Ghost on September 01, 2005, 11:29:53 PM

All we got out here are Tornadoes.  Can't really stockpile against them.

Of course, there is always the threat of Yellowstone's giant volcano blowing, in which case, the midwest is royally screwed.....

looks like I'm not the only one who pays attention to the Discovery Channel

Steve P.

We do much of the same as been said allready. In addition to this we also have copies of all our important papers, ss cards, insurance's and so on up in NY. with relatives. I have a generater with 6 gal. fuel tank and keep another 5 gal. can fuel and ready.

My family both far and near have put together a place to meet and call.. We board up when hurricane's are coming our way and make sure our gas tanks are near to if not full all the time during storm season..

Katrina has had me thinking that this may not be enough.. I have been thinking about a diesel generator and keeping plenty veggie oil around..    I wonder if it has a shelf life??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Charged

Yeah! A tool box, an AK-47, and a siphon hose. The possibilities of survival are endless.  :yesnod:

Charged

PS: Im not kidding.

Rocky

Living here in San Francisco where we live with the daily threat of a major quake, I've got about 5 gallons of water in plastic jugs........

5 gallons isn't much at all, you should think about keeping more.  FYI the tanks on your toilets are an excellent source of fresh water when none is available.  Just don't put those 2000 flushes in there and you are good to go.

Andrew

nothing

Im less than 30 minutes drive from a volcano that was ment to erupt 20 years ago, but when it does, we will probibly have a few days warning, so im not too worried.

694spdRT

Well, I live on a farm out in the country.

We have a couple hundred beef cattle, a freshwater spring, about 60 acres of trees, and a cookstove for heat. We have a lot of canned food stored away.... come to think of it I should get some more charcoal for the grill though. Here Bessie..... :icon_smile_big: 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

andy74

i worry in the winter time about snow storms,been in a few of em,so i keep the pantry full of canned stuff,the freezer full,and 2 portable kerosene heaters,along with the propane grill.also keep 3 cases of beer in the closet-if its snowing like that,i can keep it on the porch until its nice and cold!extra blankets,sleeping bags,etc are in our cubaords too.you never know,the last time we got snowed in for 2 days,we had a baby 9 months later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PocketThunder

Quote from: 694spdRT on September 02, 2005, 09:15:46 AM
Well, I live on a farm out in the country.

We have a couple hundred beef cattle, a freshwater spring, about 60 acres of trees, and a cookstove for heat. We have a lot of canned food stored away.... come to think of it I should get some more charcoal for the grill though. Here Bessie..... :icon_smile_big:  

:iagree: I grew up in this setting and i'm only an hours drive away from home living life the old fashioned way... off the land.....
and besides nothing ever happens here in the midwest anyways....the only disaster we might have is a 5 foot snow storm,   which makes most everyone happy anyways because they can finally use there $7000 snowmobile.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

There aren't too many types of natural disasters near me to worry much about. Power outages are the biggest problem here in this part of NY. The last time we had a significant lapse of time where there was no power, was 3 to 4 days from a hurricane. (7 or 8 years ago maybe?) I have a 6500 watt generator that will run the necessities now so that won't happen again. We have a propane fired boiler & a coal stove for heat in the house & our camping trailer is a good back up. We used the camping trailer that time to cook since we didn't have the generator back then. Plenty of 5 gallon bottles of water since we have a water cooler, always extra gas in cans & cars, lots of food.

I know with all the toys around here we'll always have batteries. I just won't be able to find a flashlight since that seems to be a toy too.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Brock Samson

I think folks in rural areas are better off in most respects as they have more "space" and less likelihood of roving mobs, plus they are less dependant on public services... here we have been, told to expect no help for three days min. in the event of what is known as "The Big One"...
If the bridges go down there will only be one way into SF and that's from the south and that route will probably be near to impassable.
I'm thinking a large fire extingusher a generator and a couple guns are probably my next addition... a 38 and a shotgun seem appropriate. Any generator suggestions?..
   As for the rest of you, god bless you and thanks for the suggestions...

Steve P.

It depends on your needs and the availability of fuel.. Some years ago I sold a small Coleman generator and went bigger.  My wife has MS. and can't take allot of heat, so I bought a bigger gen. with a bigger fuel tank and fitted it to run through our electrical panel..
(Just make sure you shut off the main breaker if you do this)...  We don't need any power line workers getting fried..

I even put mine on wheels to make it easier to get it outside of my shop..

Fire extinguishers are a great idea.. I have them and never thought to mention it here..

This IS a very good thread..  Thanks Strat... :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Lowprofile

Quote from: Stratocharger on September 02, 2005, 11:58:14 AM
I think folks in rural areas are better off in most respects as they have more "space" and less likelihood of roving mobs, plus they are less dependant on public services... here we have been, told to expect no help for three days min. in the event of what is known as "The Big One"...
If the bridges go down there will only be one way into SF and that's from the south and that route will probably be near to impassable.
I'm thinking a large fire extinguisher a generator and a couple guns are probably my next addition... a 38 and a shotgun seem appropriate. Any generator suggestions?..
    As for the rest of you, god bless you and thanks for the suggestions...

Hey Strat,
I know there's a Lot of "Gun Guys" on this site, but I'll give my   :Twocents: :blahblah: worth on that subject.

Go to this site www.wilsoncombat.com
These guys make some of the best firearms on the Planet. Yes, they are pricey. But when its you or your family's life on the line, $$$$$ is no object. Their shotguns are the best. I have this one.   As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for!
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Neal_J

Food, water, medicine and supplies for the entire family for a week.  Camping gear with tent, stove and chemical toilet.  Extra dog food.  Extra keys.  Frist aid kit.  Flashlight and radios with extra batteries.  Generator.  Emergency cash and coins.  Shotgun & shells.  Alll stored in detached garage in case house collapses. 

PDF copies of all insurance documents, drivers license and other documents saved on network server @ work.  Backpacks in my office and in each car containg emergency supplies, food and water.  Duffle bag under bed containing flashlight, clothes, shoes, fire extinguisher, dust mask and crow bar. 

Did I mention that I too live in earthquake country?

Neal J.

NHCharger

We usually have enough food on hand for a month if we rationed it out. I have a 6500 watt generator that I can run the important circuits on my house, including the well and furnace. During the winter I always keep 20 gallons of gas on hand. Also have a wood stove in the basement with enough wood to burn for a few months. Have the usual assortment of guns that most Mopar owners also seem to have. I probably should get my insurance papers and other assort info better organized.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Steve P.

Keep in mind that your automatic dishwasher IS water proof. That means you can put important papers inside it, close the door and flood waters can't get to it.. Just don't forget and fire it up!! ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dkn1997

Now that I have seen what certain animals will do with no government in place, I would seriousely consider adding guns to my "stash" 
RECHRGED