News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wanna talk about stereotyping? woo ( pic works)

Started by Stormhammer, September 02, 2005, 02:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky

Those are two different news sources, who said anything about stereotyping? 

I would take food from an abandoned and flooded store in a heartbeat if I was in a similar situation. 

I refer to a situation like that as a reallocation of resources.  If they are not harming anyone in the process than it is totally legit.

The only thing I would do differently is not drag said food item through flood waters contaminated by human excrement and hydrocarbons.

I wish the best of luck to all of them.

Shakey

Troy

There's two types of "looting" going on: taking food, water, and hygiene supplies vs taking TVs, electronics, guns, money, drugs, and jewelry. Both are stealing but it could be argued that one is ok under the circumstances and the other is opportunistic greed.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Drache

Quote from: Troy on September 02, 2005, 07:43:55 AM
There's two types of "looting" going on: taking food, water, and hygiene supplies vs taking TVs, electronics, guns, money, drugs, and jewelry. Both are stealing but it could be argued that one is ok under the circumstances and the other is opportunistic greed.

Troy

If you look though... it says that the young man "looted" a grocery store not an electroncis store....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

andy74

what are these jack asses gonna do with the tvs they steal any how?build a freakin raft? if they are taking food,they need it,but stereos and shit-what the fuck is wrong with some people :nutkick:

MyMopar

Freaking media, just lieks to get people stirred up.  Those 2 phots are similiar and they don't even show a store anywhere near by.  Assumptiopns made by people in the media are going to do more harm than good.

Drache

Quote from: MyMopar on September 02, 2005, 09:33:36 AM
Freaking media, just lieks to get people stirred up.   Those 2 phots are similiar and they don't even show a store anywhere near by.   Assumptiopns made by people in the media are going to do more harm than good.

Well maybe the media saw what they did.... but think of this:

what is the difference between looting a grocery store and finding food inside a grocery store?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

bull

Quote from: Drache on September 02, 2005, 09:00:48 AM

Troy

If you look though... it says that the young man "looted" a grocery store not an electroncis store....

And if you look closer you'll see that the guy by himself has at least two 50-gallon garbage bags full of stuff, plus a case of Diet Pepsi under his arm whereas the two people in the other picture just took two small items. I'm not going to sit here and try analyzing the situation, or try understanding what the media has said. It's just as stupid to call the members of the media racists as it is to call black people thieves. But if we're going to study each word used in the captions let's look at this: it says the couple found bread from a grocery store. So does that mean they were walking through the store's parking lot and "found" it floating there or went inside and "found" it? I'm sorry but I think there's a difference between grabbing two small food items and filling two or three garbage bags full of stuff.

Shakey

Quote from: bull on September 02, 2005, 10:20:24 AM
Quote from: Drache on September 02, 2005, 09:00:48 AM

Troy

And if you look closer you'll see that the guy by himself has at least two 50-gallon garbage bags full of stuff, plus a case of Diet Pepsi under his arm whereas the two people in the other picture just took two small items. I'm not going to sit here and try analyzing the situation, or try understanding what the media has said. It's just as stupid to call the members of the media racists as it is to call black people thieves. But if we're going to study each word used in the captions let's look at this: it says the couple found bread from a grocery store. So does that mean they were walking through the store's parking lot and "found" it floating there or went inside and "found" it? I'm sorry but I think there's a difference between grabbing two small food items and filling two or three garbage bags full of stuff.

I'm not going to sit here and try analyzing the situation

Looks like you already did!   ;D

I'm sorry but I think there's a difference between grabbing two small food items and filling two or three garbage bags full of stuff.

Depends on how hungry you are or how many Brother's & Sister's & Father's you have.    ;D

Drache

Who's to say that the backpack the white guy has on isn't filled with food either JUST for him and the girl while the black guy might be taking all that food because he has a really large family?  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Telvis

Taking food and water is one thing. Taking sneakers, jewelry, guns and electronics is another. I won't even talk about the gangs robbing, raping and murdering.  That's all I have to say about that.

bull

Quote from: Drache on September 02, 2005, 11:24:44 AM
Who's to say that the backpack the white guy has on isn't filled with food either JUST for him and the girl while the black guy might be taking all that food because he has a really large family?   :icon_smile_big:

The reporter said it. I have to assume the reporter who witnessed the events knows more about what happened than we do.

Charger_Fan

I'd say it's more idiotic for us here to be making assumptions of what happened from two small pictures & scraps of information that are worded a little differently from each other...worded by some reporter who is well practiced in getting shock factor in his/her little blurb. :slap:

This officially falls in the 'who gives a shit' category...ker-plunk.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Lowprofile

Yes, the media sometimes does more harm than good. I am pretty sure that young black man was getting food for family and friends. God bless them all.

"There but for the grace of God , go I"  [Or us All]
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

bull

My wife just told me she heard that most of the people who are freaking out down there in NO are drug addicts who've had to go a few days without a fix. Pathetic.  :rotz:

BigBlackDodge

I wonder how far they carried the TV and electronic items before they realized they have no electricty to plug into?

DOH! :eyes:

BBD

DarkAngel0816

I have family down there and they have been told that a lot of them doing the looting of the jewerly stores and etc are drug addicts that indeed as mentioned beforehand...are in need of their little fix.  I have no use for those people.

But as far as going in and taking food and water and baby formula...I would be right behind those people doing the same if I was there.  I would be doing all that I could to make sure my family survived (and others as well).

As a Journalism/PR major...the wording they used is not appropriate.  They are making assumptions...when in reality both sets just show people trying to do the same thing...survive.
I love my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T Clone