News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who Has Dealt with These Folks?

Started by Shakey, January 15, 2007, 08:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Has anyone used GCar of Chattaory, WA to have their switches rebuilt and / or replated?

http://www.gcartrim.com/Instrument%20Clusters.htm#switch%20replating

Does anyone know of any other vendors that are able to do this?

I'm considering sending them the five switches from my instrument cluster (headlight, thumbwheel dimmer, wiper, flasher & washer switches) for rebuilding and replating.

Wondering if anyones used them and what the end results looked like.

mikepmcs

I guess my only question with those guys is there is no guarantee you'll be getting your switch back.  It looks to me that you are going for originality and want to keep your original switches.  For instance in the push button switch they pretty much say they are going to replace it with a repop cause they fall apart or something when they disassemble.   I guess if that was true and was going to get repops anyways, i'd just go ahead and buy them all now and save myself the hassle.
Just thought i'd throw that out there.

Sorry, I don't know of anyone else to  recommend.

:Twocents:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

OttawaCharger

I wasn't aware that all the switches are being re-popped.  Good news as my 3 way wiper switch is toast.
The prices seem fair.  I've seen a few posts with positive feed back for GCar.
Mike makes a valid point. I guess it comes back to just how correct you want your car to be?
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

70 Charger RT

Check these guys out.  They do a lot of plastic chroming.  They're based in Burnaby, BC.  http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Blakcharger440

Who are the vendors carrying the repops? I have not seen them.  ???

mikepmcs

actually the first post Shakey put up has the site he's asking about and if you read the description of their service, it says they use excellent repro parts when needed.  So i'm guessing they have a supplier, if it's not them.
But i think you can buy it directly from them as well.
Check it out.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

gcartrim

I just wanted to clarify about our switch rebuild service. We restore the switches you send in. As always your parts are bagged and tagged, so you get your parts back (I would have it no other way) The parts I cannot repair, because they would not be cost effective, are the plastic flasher rocker and the square washer button. This is because these plastic parts are press fit into the switch and over the years 99.9% of them are cracked beyond repair once the chrome shell is stripped off the part. The other rockers (Headlight, dimmer and plastic wiper)  are able to be stripped and replated. We do make the plastic chromed parts for the switches here in shop and they are exact copy's of original part. The rest of the mechanical part of the switch is refurbished and checked. There are no repo's of these parts available. We also have plastic wiper rockers to replace the pitted pot metal ones. Hope that sheds some light on the switch rebuild process. Feel free to email or call Glenn at GCAR  509 238-4967

OttawaCharger

GCar - thanks for taking the time to fill us in.
You'll most likely have all my switches by the end of the summer.  :yesnod:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

RD

Quote from: gcartrim on May 31, 2007, 03:34:01 PM
I just wanted to clarify about our switch rebuild service. We restore the switches you send in. As always your parts are bagged and tagged, so you get your parts back (I would have it no other way) The parts I cannot repair, because they would not be cost effective, are the plastic flasher rocker and the square washer button. This is because these plastic parts are press fit into the switch and over the years 99.9% of them are cracked beyond repair once the chrome shell is stripped off the part. The other rockers (Headlight, dimmer and plastic wiper)  are able to be stripped and replated. We do make the plastic chromed parts for the switches here in shop and they are exact copy's of original part. The rest of the mechanical part of the switch is refurbished and checked. There are no repo's of these parts available. We also have plastic wiper rockers to replace the pitted pot metal ones. Hope that sheds some light on the switch rebuild process. Feel free to email or call Glenn at GCAR  509 238-4967

good info.. you may want to put a post in the services/businesses section in the for sale section for future reference.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Big Lebowski

I recall being able to buy nos (new original stock for those of you in Rio Linda) headlight switches & etc. from Brad's nos parts. I don't know if they're still around, but the guy was easy to deal with, and had tons of parts.   Dude.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Shakey

Quote from: gcartrim on May 31, 2007, 03:34:01 PM

I did end up sending my switches to you and the end results were great.  I also posted a thread with some before and after photos of the switches.  It'll be sometime before I am able to install and test them out.

Thanks again Glenn.

Mike

gcartrim

Thanks Mike,
I saw the thread, as a business I appreciate the good words, I do my best to earn that from all my customers. I've been restoring these cars for over 20 years and it is good to hear from others who to trust and who to avoid. Good luck with the Charger project!  ;D

charger_mike75

prices seem fair i need my headlight switch rebuilt

mikepmcs

Glenn
Thanks for the explanation of your service.  If Mike(Shakey) likes em, you must do one heck of a job!!! :2thumbs:

v/r
Mike