News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger interior winshield post moldings

Started by 41husk, January 16, 2007, 02:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

I got the windshield out of the 68 and noticed the plastic molding that runs down the windshield post and buts up to the dash pad is badly cracked on my car.  Does anyone know if these are repopped?  Does anyone have a spare set?  I only need the passenger side but would get both if thats the only way they are sold.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bill440rt

Those mouldings on eBay are BOTH damaged.  :yesnod:  :yesnod:
Bet the seller doesn't know it, either. Or, he's trying to pass them off as undamaged.
There should be two more plastic "ears" opposite the small ones at the top with the small "U" shape. The small ones up top with the "U" shape go under the upper interior windshield molding. There should be two more that go under the side headliner retainers. These are notoriously missing, broken off from age.
Sorry to disappoint anybody.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mikepmcs

Wow, good eye Bill.   :scope:  I didn't see that at first but you are on it doggonitt.  My 69 RR had the same deal.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

8WHEELER

Yep, you better jump all over that one, they almost always have that top ear broken
off that goes above the steel headliner molding above your head. Then again, once
its installed nobody will notice it, unless they are looking for problems with your car
''like a judge at a show, or somebody that knows chargers real well'' like us  ;D

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

41husk

i can't get to ebay from schoool and no longer have a ebay account :'(
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

41husk

I need to take a look at this, but I believe those can be removed and replaced with the windshield in place, so it shouldnt slow down my progress.  I can always super glue the piece I have back together until I can find a quality piece.  anyone who knows for sure post up. Thanks Allen
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

mikepmcs

I changed my 69 RR with the windshield in there. :yesnod:

resq302

I heard a rumor that Tony Dagostino is going to be reproing these soon.  Don't know how true but would be a nice piece to do as they are almost always broken or have that piece missing.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

41husk

Thank's, I will go ahead and have my windshield installed as soon as my new gasket gets here.  If I can,t find a decent used piece I will glue mine together and wait for some repops.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Recharger

Quote from: 41husk on January 17, 2007, 11:21:27 AM
I need to take a look at this, but I believe those can be removed and replaced with the windshield in place, so it shouldnt slow down my progress.  I can always super glue the piece I have back together until I can find a quality piece.  anyone who knows for sure post up. Thanks Allen

Yeah, you can definitely replace those with the windshield in place.  You'll just need to remove or loosen the headliner trim by the windshield and side glass, so you don't break the tabs when you mount the pillar trim. 

As for that second ebay ad (the single black piece), take a close look, it looks like there may be an extra hole near the base of the piece, where it butts up to the dash panel.  That's a sign that it's from a Coronet or RR or something, and has a screw hole for the extra dash trim that those cars have.  It's not a big deal, but it would have to be filled in to look like an original charger piece.  Just a heads up in case you didn't notice it.

mikepmcs

How do you guys know this stuff.   :bow:

Husk, I have an ebay account, if you want i'll buy them (but you have to tell me your limit $$$ first) When I get em I'll send em to you and you can pay me back. Just an offer.

or if yor not in a hurry, tell me your limit anyways and i can keep looking for you until it's a better deal and we can go that route too.
v/r
Mike

41husk

What is fair? I would give $50 plus shipping?  what do they go for?  I only need the passenger side.  If you can get it I will be happy to pay you for it.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

mikepmcs

alright so if I find one or a pair, no more than $50 + shipping, i'll get them and then i'll get your address.  I'll let you know when it happens.

Doesn't someone on here have a spare right side they can sell for less than that?  Travis??? That would be much easier then us going the ebay route.  Anyways, i'm looking.

v/r
Mike

mikepmcs

I need members to look at these one's i'm posting to verify that they will fit Husk's 68 Charger.
After reading some of the other posts, there are some subtle differences it seems.
So i'm asking for the experts on this to help out and give me a Yes or No as i'll be the one purchasing them for him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280069759783&fromMakeTrack=true

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120075290821&fromMakeTrack=true

v/r
Mike

41husk

Thanks mike, I appretiate it.  I posted on parts wanted and asked everyone who listed 68-70 parts for sale.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

mikepmcs

I was wondering if anyone can look at the first auction for this trim i put up a couple posts above.  It has part numbers and I need to know that these will fit a 68 charger. 
Or Allen, if you could tell me what the part number is on your piece that is out, that might be helpful as well.

Thank you.

v/r
Mike

Recharger

Mike, both of those sets of trim are from non-Chargers and will have that extra screw hole for the interior chrome trim.  The part numbers stamped on them would be the same regardless of what b-body they came from and they will fit just like the Charger piece.  The only difference is filling in that hole with a little epoxy or bondo or whatever.  Not too big a deal, really, just something to keep in mind for the price. 

41Husk, If you're willing to use trim that is missing that upper mounting tab, I think I have a leftover set from my car, and they're blue to boot.  They need to be cleaned up a bit (and probably re-dyed anyway), and one had an almost-invisible hairline crack on the inside that I've already glued/repaired.  It's hard to notice.  Both are missing the upper mounting tabs that slip under the headliner trim by the door, and the pass. side one is missing half of the tab that slips under the windshield trim.  I'm not sure how pristine a set you're looking for, but if you're interested I could email you some pics.  Let me know.

mikepmcs

thank you!  the first one is going too high anyways.  we'll wait for husk's reply.

v/r
mike

Dennis K

Does that second set look to anyone besides me that they might be from a convertible? The are obviously missing the tab, but they look more rounded off that the normal ones. Could just be a bad camera angle, but maybe the seller doesn't know what he's selling?

41husk

I am interested in any pieces,  If I end up with more than one thats better than none at all,  thanks for all the help!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904