News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

general lee builders - smith bros vs scott lea - anyone else?

Started by kripledbybuick, January 16, 2007, 05:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kripledbybuick

Okay... So I have to thank all of you that helped me avoid hlpag as a builder... This board is the best !!! I am now awaiting quotes from smith and scott lea. I have noticed that smith is more GL correct and Scott is more high detail hot rod type build. I am not one of those guys that wants a car from the show, just want a nice car the way I remember it as a kid. I think I am leaning towards scott, but the prices are definatley higher than most. I like that Scott Lea builds race cars and can make a real roll bar with back bars through the trunk! What experiences have you guys had with these builders, and are there any other builders I should look at? I did see a builder at topfarm that had low prices but I didn't think his build quality was high enough... The cost looks like it keeps climbing and it is realy starting to look scary, but I do want a solid quality driver so I am prepaired to do what I have to as long as I get what I want.

Joshua

I didn't realize there were guys building General Lee CLONES.......how sad......Just my OPINION, but didn't that show (and the movie) RUIN enough of 'em...... :Twocents:

Why RUIN another Charger with an 01????

Judhudson

Quote from: Joshua on January 16, 2007, 05:54:30 PM

Please let this comment die already.  How does painting an 01 on the door ruin a Charger?  Does everybody think that General Lee owners want to jump their cars for no apparent reason???  If anything, folks are saving them nowadays.  Just because its a General Lee doesn't mean its ruined - it's just a paintjob!

Sorry Josh, I don't mean to be rude to you - it's just that most folks think this way and it's like the issue with the new Charger - beating a dead horse.

As for you kripledbybuick, have you visited the Confederate General Lee Fan Club?  http://www.cglfc.com/wforum/ is the link.  If you're looking for a dependable driver, it might be alright to purchase one already made.  However, it's best to know the folks selling it and ask a ton of questions on all of the bugs it could potentially have (like every car does).

mikepmcs

I can only speak for myself, but I don't think my charger was ruined by this. 

The guy I bought it from, found a really poor condition charger and made me one.  Sure i'd like to have a fully restored one of a kind, but I think I got the best of both worlds on this for me personally.

I could have never afforded to take one and build it back to specs like i did with my ex fiance's 68 firebird, that broke me doing it and I don't even have the car and neither does she.  I guess my point is, if it's what you like that's all that matters.  I respect your opinion as well as everyone else's but this is what works for me and I have a blast in it.  After all, it's still a charger and I've wanted a 69GL ever since I was watching the show at a younger age.  So essentially my dream came true, and isn't that what it's all about?

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

70charger_boy

Sometimes poeple just love to ruin your love.  I love the General Lee and think it is the greatest car in the world.  I would say go with smith bros, although I could build you a general for $5,000 less

MoparManJim

I didn't realize there were guys building General Lee CLONES.......how sad......Just my OPINION, but didn't that show (and the movie) RUIN enough of 'em...... :Twocents:

hey man! look at other movies like Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, Bullit, The F&F, Grand Theft Auto, Eat My Dust, and yet you want to only complain about the darn Dukes? cars are built to have fun with them and drive them, what good is a car that you keep stock color to? all it does is just build in Value is all and with that all that means almostis that your in it for the cash down the road. Whats so fricking bad about orange chargers with no 01's on them? are you going to say they are ruin also because there orange? or maybe they have spoke victors on them? all I hear anymore is people trashing the Dukes because they "pose to have ruin" so many cars because they stuck 01's on the doors, well look at the other movies that also has chargers with custom paint shemes! Dirty Mary Crazy Larry went through 3 cars I heard to make that film and the stunt driver was a father to the stunt driver on the Dukes series! Look at Bullit they crash a '1968 Charger INTO a gas station. The F&F had a cork screw flip the charger did and wrack that poor charger, Grand Theft Auto had a '68 that got rolled, Eat My Dust has a either a '68 to 70 charger that went over a fricking cliff! and all you want to do is complain about the darn General Lee because he had 01 on his doors?! Heck some even turn chargers into REAL dirt track race cars back in the day so that would also ruin the chargers. Like Jud said its all a pint job that can be fix by striping the car down of its paint, um// I wonder why they call that stuff "paint", paint for?  ??? :o ;) 

kripledbybuick, like Jud said, check by the confederate General Lee fan club as you can get alot of very good info about General Lees there and also find builders there also that would help you out in finding a charger or getting one built, there is alot of nice guys and gals there also! Watch what you say around here about the orange car with 01's on it. I hope you the best of luck with your search though.

kripledbybuick

Oh wow!  didn't mean to stir up the GL debate... I just want my '69 charger that way. It's just for me, and after all I have had to live through lately I just want to be a kid again. My main focus is on the builders of the 69 charger, those who are known for doing a quality and competent job. Has anyone had personal experience with ScottLea building a car for them?  Why would some of you pick Smith over Scott? I would love to hear the detailed reasons for your choises so I can benefit from your vast knowledge on a subject that I am a relative newcomer to.
Thanks-

BlueSS454

Beating a dead horse.  Besides, it's nothing more than a decal anyways.  They can be removed.  My 69 would have ended up being turned into a crushed pile of metal and rust if I didn't salvage it to build a GL.  One more saved the way I look at it.
Tom Rightler

69bronzeT5

This one company makes millions of GL clones. Almost every single god damn car has a bent radiator support. ???
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Troy

Some people are just full of.... help. I hope karma really exists...  :eyes:

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 16, 2007, 10:07:51 PM
This one company makes millions of GL clones. Almost every single god damn car has a bent radiator support. ???
Millions? Really? Do you have a name for this company? Do your parents know what sort of language you use?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Troy on January 16, 2007, 10:17:00 PM
Some people are just full of.... help. I hope karma really exists...  :eyes:

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 16, 2007, 10:07:51 PM
Millions? Really? Do you have a name for this company? Do your parents know what sort of language you use?

Troy

What language did I use??? ;D And I dont remember the name but they were a supplier for the new DOH movie. And when I said millions..it was a term of speech. They have actually made hundreds.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Troy

You're attempting to say HLPAG and that's the place he's trying to avoid (see first post). Even with all the steaming piles they produce I'm not sure they've even made 100 yet.

Troy

Mike DC

HLPAG is not to be confused with any actual GL fans or respectable builders. 

The HLPAG operation is basically one step above an Ebay scam.  They've probably built dozens of GLs in the last few years but they don't have anything to do with causing anyone to own a decent GL.  Anybody who gets a car from them is gonna get it totally redone before it's a decent driveable car.  (Unfortunately not every buyer realizes this at first.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"HLPAG supplied real GLs to Warner Bros?"

Well, yes and no.

A half-dozen HLPAG cars were indeed bought for the 2005 big-screen "Hazzard" movie.  But the film crew basically just used HLPAG as a source of Dodge Charger raw material on short notice, not as a supplier of finished GLs or anything.  You never saw a HLPAG orange paintjob onscreen in the movie.  (Not even the same color shade on the HLPAG cars.)

For that matter, the HLPAG sheetmetal you saw onscreen was usually being cable-launched through the air.

Troy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 16, 2007, 11:42:57 PM
For that matter, the HLPAG sheetmetal you saw onscreen was usually being cable-launched through the air.

:haha: :nutkick: :bow:

Troy

Khyron

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 16, 2007, 08:15:21 PM

best picture for a thread like this ever! :lol:

and again, I agree, a paint job doesn't ruin a car. I'm makeing a DMCL Clone, of some sorts, and if you think i'm ruining my car you can just go <insert adult word here> yourselfs. :nana:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Joshua

Sorry for getting you guys all riled up ??? Sensitive bunch here I guess eh? I stated my opinion on a subject that I have strong feelings about.... SORRY!

......sure it's JUST paint, but how often are you guys painting your cars anyway??? JEEZ....oh well your car do what you want.............

Bob

It's only paint and decals and a few add ons. kripledbybuick is attempting to do something I'd wish I was financially able to do. I doubt he will be doing 110 foot jumps over a police car while blasting his dixie horn.
Good Luck.

Arkgl01

Smith borthers are great guys and do great work, especially knowing General lee facts and details like correct color and exact push bars and work with original WB employees that built these cars.

Patrick is also a great guy who builds REALLY clean cars and can make it basic or go exstreme with awesome details, his person general lee is really really nice. I think it all depends on what you are looking for out of a general lee. Also patrick gives you an exact delivery date and to me that is really nice.

Email me if you have any questions..I know both builders really well.

Mark@southercoating.com
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

kripledbybuick

I never thought it would be so hard to choose between builders... They both have great abilities and I guess I will have to bite the bullet and decide. Smith is more GL correct and Scott is more hot rod / race car, Smith takes longer, Scott Promises earlier delivery, Smith uses single stage paint but paints on graphics, Scott has multi stage paint and clears over high quality vinyl graphics, Smith makes the factory ac work properly, Scott installs aftermarket workable ac but doesn't work like factory and center vents don't work. I would also say I think Smith is more factory correct, probably better in the long run. ***********************  As for those people who hate the idea of another GL charger... I have been through hell and back, and will never make anything near a full recovery. crushed pelvis and internaly decapatated limbs don't feel good. So if I want to spend my last days driving a GM colored stickered charger just let me, after you purchase the very nicely done car from my widow you can paint it any color you like. I suggest you all do your best to help me build one hell of a nice car so mabey in the future one of you guys can enjoy it when I am gone.

mikepmcs

I think you have made your decision by reading your post above.  It looks like you need to go with Smith.  I bet they are both great builders.  I remember Jim Shine telling me that the Vinyl graphics will fade over time.  So i imagine if they were cleared over and faded, and you wanted to replace them, it would be a big job. 

When you decide, make sure they take pics of their progress and post them up here so we can all share in your anticipation, that's half the fun.  Danny Johnson would send me pics as he went along and I thought it was great, I still have them all of my GL being built.

:icon_smile_big: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Now go spend some money and let's get this thing going. :icon_smile_big:

yeeeehaawwwwwww

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

70charger_boy

Quote from: kripledbybuick on January 17, 2007, 03:06:41 PM
I never thought it would be so hard to choose between builders... They both have great abilities and I guess I will have to bite the bullet and decide. Smith is more GL correct and Scott is more hot rod / race car, Smith takes longer, Scott Promises earlier delivery, Smith uses single stage paint but paints on graphics, Scott has multi stage paint and clears over high quality vinyl graphics, Smith makes the factory ac work properly, Scott installs aftermarket workable ac but doesn't work like factory and center vents don't work. I would also say I think Smith is more factory correct, probably better in the long run. ***********************  As for those people who hate the idea of another GL charger... I have been through hell and back, and will never make anything near a full recovery. crushed pelvis and internaly decapatated limbs don't feel good. So if I want to spend my last days driving a GM colored stickered charger just let me, after you purchase the very nicely done car from my widow you can paint it any color you like. I suggest you all do your best to help me build one hell of a nice car so mabey in the future one of you guys can enjoy it when I am gone.

Very nicely said.  Do what makes you happy.  I would make a general out of my 70, but that whole front bumper thing won't look right.  So, I'm gonna paint my car with a roller using 50 dollar Rustoleum paint.  I'm sure I'll catch alot of crap for that too, brother.

mikepmcs

Roscoe
There is a thread on that on here and I think you can do it with great results, I'll try to find it for you.  The painting thing I'm talking about(painting with a roller).  give me a few and i'll find it.

v/r
Mike

mikepmcs

70charger_boy

Yeah thanks.  I've been talking to 69chargeryeehaww.  He is the guy who is famous on moparts for painting his charger with tremclad.  I can't wait to do it as soon as it warms up