News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DOES ANYONE KNOW : WHAT AN ORIG DAYTONA WING WEIGHS ?

Started by daytonalo, January 22, 2007, 12:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

IF ANYONE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT A ORIG DAYTONA WING WEIGHS , NOT A GUESS BUT WHAT EACH PART WEIGHS . I'M TOOLING UP TO PRODUCE AN ALUM HOLLOW WING THAT WILL WEIGH WHAT AN ORIG ONE DOES

THE CHARGER PUNK

daytonalo

Where did you get that # , and how much does each part weigh ?

nascarxx29

Im not exactly sure what individual piece weighs.But I recall some wings center sections have been found .To have either a hollow or solid design.If thats the correct weight for a original 55LBS .I found repos to be stated at weighing in at 85LBS .And found the 55LBS figure mentioned again at dayclona

Steel construction. These wings weigh virtually the same as the original cast aluminum wings. ("50-55lbs") 3 pieces as original w/stainless allen head bolts(2). Wing gaskets included. (also available seperately), base studs, nuts and lock washers included. Etch-primed, ready to paint and install.

Price: $2995.00

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

I'm going to sell an hollow alum wing , in the works right now ! I want to end this madness with all of these wings made every way but correct

nascarxx29

Chrysler materials are not a exact science they had sub vendors lke centro cast hackett brass etc.Did you ever see where they had wing orders contracted to hackettbrass.com to be completed outside on the sidewalk.And not that anyone would insist on these details the center upright had a visible casting line on top.And the bases were rough around the edges in contour and small size pit holes quality control at its best :laugh:

http://wwnboa.org/motw.htm
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

If I'm not mistaken weren't the street wings hollow, and the race wings solid on the upper piece right? Then the race wings had cable holes drilled through them later for the saftey cable.

daytonalo

If all goes as planned , I will have this at or under 55 lbs . By the way i just weighed a solid alum wing , each part comes in @ 30lbs each . I will have more info on wed , going to foundry. I think I have an orig wing bolt , is it 7/16 fine thread ? If dayclona gets 3k for a sheetmetal wing , I should be able to get the same for a alum wing that weighs the same as orig , and will also be ready to paint ?

UFO

Mine weigh`s in at...Cross pce 13lbs  Uprights 14lbs each

daytonalo

UFO

Yup   with a thin coating of varnish to keep the sun from breaking it down.

THE CHARGER PUNK

How much u sellin wings 4 lo? dayclona charges $2995 and thats steel :yesnod:

hotrod98

Quote from: daytonalo on January 23, 2007, 09:47:35 PM
If dayclona gets 3k for a sheetmetal wing , I should be able to get the same for a alum wing that weighs the same as orig , and will also be ready to paint ?

I'm thinking that he's saying 3k.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

daytonalo

Do you know why there has never been a hollow wing before ? Its a ton of work !

hotrod98

Has to be a labor of love. 
BTW, My trunk hinges turned out less than expected. But, when I mentioned the problem to a friend of mine, he told me about another guy that can do them with no problems. I contacted the guy and should have a nice set fabbed up in a week or so.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

TomP

Hmm..  Dane sells his solid wing for about $800, so to save 40lbs it'll be another $2200?  For a clone, it's not worth the additional cost.

Hotrod98 and Dane have been selling the parts they make for what it costs to produce them, plus a little to cover their time I suppose.  It's nice to know there are people out there who are trying to help out their fellow enthusiasts and not trying to make big bucks off them. 

If your new wing is priced similarly, I'd be interested in one, as I'm sure many here would be.
'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

daytonalo

Tom ,I don't know what level you are on when it comes to paying a tool and die maker as well as foundry costs are involved , do you know ?The reason Dane sells his wings for 800  is  they are straight up sand cast , and weigh a ton , I have a solid wing that Rene [big block sam ] lent me and just positioning it on the top of my qtr panel started do depress the top of my qtr . I did a great deal of research  on the daytona wing , let me spell it out for you , do you know what a real wing cost ? 4500 and up , do you know what the tooling cost would be ? do you ?I do , 25000.00 , to do a hollow wing , hollow cast in alum . That's just for tooling , no part . The sheetmetal wings on the market are 3k , and they are probably ok , but who wouldn't take an alum wing that weighs what and orig daytona wing weighs . Trust me , I bought a solid wing from dane , hes a great guy , and basically had them sand cast and just sold as is casting , many hours of grinding and filling have yet to be done . my product is not for everyone , only the guy who wants an , dimensionally correect , correct weighing, hollow alum wing that just needs paint , need to reply . Trust me I'm not getting rich on this like you think ! I do this for the love of these cars . One more thing , I just weighed a solid wing , 90 lbs total , Mine will come in around 50 llbs . If you think you can do a hollow alum wing cheaper , I will step aside and you can write the check to the tool and die maker !

TomP

I don't doubt the costs involved in tooling up for a hollow wing, I'm just saying for my purposes, it's probably not going to be worth the added cost.  I can put a lot of my time into prepping one of Dane's wings to look good if I'm saving $2200.  I'm building a clone for me to drive, not for car shows or to sell on Ebay.  The extra weight won't be a problem if the top if the 1/4 panel is braced and a metal wing washer is used.

If it turns out yours come in for less than $3K, who knows? 

'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

daytonalo

even with the brace , too much for me after spending two years of body work . From what I was told , Dane is not doing anymore wings , the price of doing that kind of work is crazy

hotrod98

I had planned to mock up one of Janek's wings and make a mold. I was more than surprised when I finally saw one in person. I never knew that they had aluminum inserts in them to make them stronger. Even the blade has an aluminum insert running through it so that you are bolting metal to metal. Makes sense now that I've seen it. However, that being said, I now realize that this is going to be a much more difficult project than I had planned. I've decided to concentrate on some of the simpler stuff for now. We just had a company start making the steel z-braces out of .065 steel. I'll have prices soon and they will be reasonable.
As for the hollow aluminum wing, I think that there will be some of the guys out there that will step up and buy the better, lighter wing. Some of the guys on a budget will opt for something cheaper and make do. I think there's room for both. I haven't heard anymore from Jack at Wingcarfab regarding his new aluminum wing that he was working on. With his diversity in the fabrication business, it may be a somewhat low priority. Don't know.
Larry, my opinion is that there is a far greater need for a complete working nose assembly than a lighter wing. The nose seems to be the stunbling block for most would-be wing car builders. I think that the guy that first offers the complete bolt-on working nose will own the cloner market. You build them and offer them before I do and I'll buy one from you and forget that part of the market.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

Your z-braces , do they have the Popsicle depression and bet 90 degrees for strength and attaching point for latch tray ?

Daytona R/T SE

Hasn't Gene Gregory been making Aluminum wings for decades? :shruggy:

daytonalo

As far as I know , NOBODY has a hollow alum wing , if he does I will buy 2 of them right now. What are you using ? fiberglass or solid alum