News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radiator Support Doesn't Match But the Trunk Does...

Started by RT DAVE, September 04, 2005, 01:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT DAVE

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering how much it would matter that the front clip on my Charger was replaced (hard front end damage) prior to me owning it.  It was pretty obvious when I bought my car that it had front end damage due to the old bumper being bent & the engine compartment was spray bombed in black with overspray on the fenders.   I don't really have any intention of selling my car but was wondering how much this will hurt me if I do sell.  The car is a 68 RT and the numbers don't match.  I have a lot of aftermarket parts in the engine bay also.    BTW, the number in the trunk does match the fender tag, so I'm pretty sure the car isn't a rebody.    Thanks for you input!
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Just 6T9 CHGR

It doesnt matter to anyone but the owner or potential owner.  If you do plan to sell and fully disclose the different numbers..no harm, no foul IMHO
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dodgecharger-fan

:iagree:

You said it's not a numbers matching car anyway. I don't think another number out of whack makes it worse.

RT DAVE

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on September 04, 2005, 05:36:31 PM
:iagree:

You said it's not a numbers matching car anyway. I don't think another number out of whack makes it worse.

My only issue is pulling the trunk seal for inspection when I go to sell.  I guess I can just make the sale contingent on that number being correct and let them worry about replacing it (the seal) after inspection.     Thanks for your opinions...

Blown70

Well my opinion is DOCUMENT.  Photograph the one currently on the car.  Remove it and KEEP it.  They do not take up that much space.  Put the new clean one on and explain that to the owner if you ever do sell it

I would disclose if you ever sold and send the original one with.

I have a 70 now I will post pictures soon of that the trunk does NOT match the rest of the car.  Really does not matter as it now no longer has a radiator support.....

RT DAVE

Quote from: Blown70 on September 04, 2005, 09:16:14 PM
Well my opinion is DOCUMENT.   Photograph the one currently on the car.   Remove it and KEEP it.   They do not take up that much space.   Put the new clean one on and explain that to the owner if you ever do sell it

I would disclose if you ever sold and send the original one with.

I have a 70 now I will post pictures soon of that the trunk does NOT match the rest of the car.   Really does not matter as it now no longer has a radiator support.....

I'm not sure what you are telling me to remove.  The correct radiator support?  If so, that item was damaged, removed and thrown out long before I owned the car.   I have taken pictures of the number in the trunk, however...

BrianShaughnessy

What's the big deal?   Your numbers either match or they don't.   They don't. 

What's 1 less set of parts that don't match.   Enjoy the car for what it is and stop worrying about the $.   Unless it's a true factory resto trailer queen it won't get top dollar anyhow.

Drive the wheels off it and enjoy it.   :drive:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Blown70

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on September 05, 2005, 01:39:43 PM
What's the big deal?     Your numbers either match or they don't.     They don't.  

What's 1 less set of parts that don't match.     Enjoy the car for what it is and stop worrying about the $.     Unless it's a true factory resto trailer queen it won't get top dollar anyhow.

Drive the wheels off it and enjoy it.     :drive:

I agree,  sorry I did not understand that you did not have the support.  I say put another one in and go for it.  Car needs to be fixed to be functional.  I would just tell  the new owner if you ever sold the car in case they care.  I personally would not.

Unless we are speaking of a HEMI Cuda or such that the number should match to get the top dollar.

41husk

the prospective buyer will ask if it is #s matching, If he is looking for only a numbers car he would not want it but the radiator support would make little dufference.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Blown70

Again, I know some may care.  However. Peole like me would rather have a clean car.  Than worry about ## matching and IF done correctly no one would know other than to look at the ##'s

Orange_Crush

I have the same problem.  I bought the car from the original owner and the car was wrecked at one point and the front clip was replaced (badly).

In any case, just document and it won't be a problem.  I've seen cars where NONE of the numbers match.  No biggie.  In my case, I got a signed, notarized letter from the original owner stating the circumstances of the clip change and hat was it.  Nothing more you can do.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Charger Aficionado

Whoa Whoa Whoa...     Wait a miniute...   '68's I've had have had this issue, and I was told by TWO "MoPar Aficionados", that '68 Rad Support nubers are funky sometimes!   Where is "8-Wheeler" when you need him (resident '68 expert)...   :)  

In Contrast: '69 & '70's I've had have not had this "Issue" at ALL.   Someone who really knows ELABORATE!!!  Please! 

8WHEELER

The Rad support number should match the last six numbers on the fender tag as well as on the trunk rail.
All of my 68's have been this way, It would be nice for your numbers to all match but unless we are talking
about a 40k and up car it should not make a great deal of difference although it would be better.

below is my fender tag, rad #, and trunk # on my QQ1 car, I did take out 1 digit.

Dan

I cant post pics this is the message I get

An Error Has Occurred!

The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

Thanks Troy, Just trying to help him   ;D ;D
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Troy

Dang! You guys gotta stop uploading so many pics. Hang on a few minutes 8wheeler and I'll get it fixed.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

chargervert

If I am correct,68 b bodies have the order # stamped on the radiator support,not the VIN#. There should be a 5 or 6 digit number on the fender tag that matches those other numbers that are on the radiator support. In 1969 and up cars the VIN# is stamped on the radiator support.

8WHEELER

Quote from: chargervert on September 08, 2005, 12:55:09 AM
If I am correct,68 b bodies have the order # stamped on the radiator support,not the VIN#. There should be a 5 or 6 digit number on the fender tag that matches those other numbers that are on the radiator support. In 1969 and up cars the VIN# is stamped on the radiator support.

Correct, the pics I took of my blue 68 are the last 6 numbers on the fender tag as shown, I took off one
number for my self, the number's on a 68 do not match any numbers on the vin.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.