News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

See any problems with this setup?

Started by Harlow, February 07, 2007, 06:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

Its a Holley 750 double pumper that the old owner put on a while ago. I'm trying to get the engine ready for a start up. The problem is the electronic eye on the no-points distributor was bad, so I put one on with points, but the vacuum advance blocks the fuel hose from getting to the chrome line running off the carb. I took the chrome line off and flipped it around so its facing the back of the engine. I think I'm just going to run some fuel hose to it. Do you guys see some problems with this setup? The only problem I see is that the AC tube runs right over it, but I will most likely be pulling the engine when I paint the car so I'm thinking I may just do a rebuild on the engine and change the set up so its not so messy. The original owner didn't really plan things out too well. Is this something I shouldn't do? Any suggestions? I want to finish this tonight so fast responses would be great. The chrome fuel line feels like it could be bent pretty easily so maybe I should redirect it ??? Normally my dad could help me with this but hes been working two jobs lately and really busy. Heres a few pictures I just took:

mikepmcs

rubber fuel line with a tee is how i did mine cause of the same problem.  Disconnect the vac advance and plug it, that will take care of that.
I think I have a picture of mine hold on.

Nope, no pics, i'll go take you some right now, give me a few.  Damn you Harlow, it's -9 out there.  I'll be right back or I won't cause I froze to death.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Harlow

Quote from: mikepmcs on February 07, 2007, 06:52:31 PM
rubber fuel line with a tee is how i did mine cause of the same problem.  Disconnect the vac advance and plug it, that will take care of that.
I think I have a picture of mine hold on.

Nope, no pics, i'll go take you some right now, give me a few.  Damn you Harlow, it's -9 out there.  I'll be right back or I won't cause I froze to death.

v/r
Mike

Pictures would be awesome man, I feel you on the cold, I live in Denver and we've had one hell of a winter this year :flame:. The past few days have been pretty nice, I can wear a t-shirt in the garage today. After living here for a few years my mom decided its time to move back down to AZ with the rest of my extended family, its nice and hot down there. "disconnect the vac advance and plug it", so do I actually need the vacuum advance?

mikepmcs

Here you go.  If someone doesn't like it, they will correct me and we'll both learn something.  Main thing is keep it from getting hot(off the motor)

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Yup plug the vac advance for now just to get her running, we can deal with that issue later if you want to keep it.  Run a search up top for vacuum advance and start reading those threads from way back.. Firefighter and Chryco, Chall 340 (and a host of others so please don't be offended everyone else if you read this) know what they are talking about so whatever they say I really heed.  Word!!
I might have even started a few about vac advance( and this is why i own a new timing light to this day)((dial on the back is the bomb))when I was(and still am) learning.  This site is awesome and there are so many wicked smart people on here, i don't know what I would do otherwise, except waffle around and learn the hard way.   :thumbs:
If you ask it, they will answer.(bad "field of dreams" reference)
v/r
Mike

Harlow

I really like that set up and its easy to get at and its pretty simple. I have the same clear fuel filter but do I need that gauge (I'm guessing pressure gauge) too? I also like how you ran it to the fuel pump right next to the heater hoses. I may just have to copy you. How did you connect the hose directly to the carb, because if I remember correctly its threaded where it connects.

mikepmcs

ahh, good questions all.  I connected the hoses using the junk chrome dual feed.  I just hack sawed it off about an inch down and threaded in the chrome pieces and then slid the hose up and clamped it up.  You can buy flex hose and carb fuel connections that do all this but I don't think mine looks that bad(and i didn't want to spend $60 bucks on them).  no one knows the difference when they look at it IMHO. You don't need the fuel gauge but it can identify problems when you are troubleshooting.  You don't need it right now though.  I just happened to get it when I was getting crazy when buying the chrome piece and it was pretty cheap.   

v/r
Mike

Harlow

So if I'm serious about doing this, I should just hacksaw the ends off my chrome line, slip it over it, clamp the ends, and I'm good to go? I like that route. I'm just nervous hacking up my chrome line, but it will be much nicer than running my line to the back of the engine.

mikepmcs

Harlow

I'm going to get that T right now, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help. Do you think a little plastic T will be alright?

Harlow

Anyone know if a plastic T will work alright?

firefighter3931

Mike, just a heads up ; Looking at your pics i see the fuel line zip tied to the heater hoses. I would try to isolate the fuel line away from the hot water....it will boil the fuel and can create vapor lock.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Harlow

Do the pieces that go from the carb to the T need to be exactly the same length?

whitehatspecial

Quote from: Harlow on February 07, 2007, 09:46:48 PM
Anyone know if a plastic T will work alright?

I wouldn't use a plastic tee for fuel lines, but I wouldn't use the rubber lines either.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

mikepmcs

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 07, 2007, 09:50:09 PM
Mike, just a heads up ; Looking at your pics i see the fuel line zip tied to the heater hoses. I would try to isolate the fuel line away from the hot water....it will boil the fuel and can create vapor lock.  ;)

Ron

Thanks Ron, i'll find a different route for the fuel line or raise it off the water lines somehow. :thumbs:

Harlow a plastic tee will work just fine.  Once you restore your car and want to start correcting things to the "proper" way then you can get correct fuel lines and such, but for now this will do fine if you are short on cash.  Eventually I will buy a flex braided fuel line and do it a more correct way, but i'm in no hurry to do that.

v/r
Mike

mikepmcs

Quote from: Harlow on February 07, 2007, 11:06:41 PM
Do the pieces that go from the carb to the T need to be exactly the same length?

No.  Just make them long enough to work and have room to keep the lines off anything hot.  As you'll see above, Ron had a very good point on mine.  I just didn't think that it would get too hot tied to the heater lines but I listen to what Ron tells me cause he has a ton of experience.

v/r
Mike

Chryco Psycho

I would not use a plastic fuel filter , I also would not run the fuel line along the heater hoses , heating the fuel is not cool ... could cuase vapor lock boiling fuel in the carb or justpoor performance ,
BTW you have a 750 vacuum secondary dual feed NOT a double pump

Harlow

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 09, 2007, 02:17:58 AM
I would not use a plastic fuel filter , I also would not run the fuel line along the heater hoses , heating the fuel is not cool ... could cuase vapor lock boiling fuel in the carb or justpoor performance ,
BTW you have a 750 vacuum secondary dual feed NOT a double pump

I guess I was under the impression that a dual feed was a double pumper, what is the difference between mine and a double pumper?

Chryco Psycho

double pumps have an accelerater pump front & rear & the secondaries open manually not with vacuum