News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radio in glove box

Started by xghobo, February 07, 2007, 09:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xghobo

Who has put a new radio inside there glove box?  I am thinking this might be a project for me this winter. I want to leave the factory in the dash. Any pics or ideas? How did you wire it up to the old harness?

Thanx All

resq302

I did it but then removed it once I started the AACA route.  I just cut out the back of the glove box and then slide the radio in there.  Held it in place with two bolts and nuts with two flat metal brackets holding it from top and bottom to prevent it from sliding around.  All I did for the wiring was tap into the speaker wiring and then found a constant hot wire and a switched hot wire and spliced into it.  Fairly easy to do, just kind of cramped due to the lack of space behind the dash.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

41husk

That souinds like a good idea, I would imagine most of the stereo instalation places could do it as well.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger-Bodie

i also did at one time i simply built a metal copy of a glove box insert and mounted theradio right in
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

John_Kunkel

Here's a pic of the radio in my '57 NY, it's a Sony with a wired remote. I tried the wireless remote but it won't work with the door closed or even slightly open.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nice job John...I was wondering about the remote thing.   I guess a wired one is the only way to go then.

Would like to clean up my under dash area where I currently have mine mounted now...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gnrl01

I have plans to do the same thing, I have a trunk mount cd changer and plan on buying a new stereo and have it mounted in my glove box. I like the look of the old school am in the dash. It would be cool to see more pics of this, would like to see how it looks in some chargers.

472 R/T SE

Mine's in the glove box with a hard wire plug-in MP3 player.  I want to put the player on the top of the glove box so I can partially close box and get it off my wheelchair.  It's leaving a mark on the lid.  It's wired into the back of the fuse box to a key on point IIRC.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike does the remote work with the door closed?   If so whats the brand?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

440mag

Mine is in the glove box and I have to have to door open for the remote to work.  I would like to change it ti a wired unit and put the controls in my console.  They sell wired stereos for boats at Circut City and Best Buy.
440mag

472 R/T SE

No that's why I want to put the deck up on the top side of the glove box so I can partially close the lid to get it off my chair and be able to run the remote shooting the beam thru the opening.  I'll need to rig something to catch the hook and lid to keep it partially open.  Plus with the lid hanging down it seems that it's covering the sound of one of the mids that are down on the floor.  Yeah it's not stock looking but I've let my hair down with this car.
To be honest, I've never tried runnin' it with the door closed.  :-\

My MP3 player yes, it's got the hard wire.  But with it all I do is change songs.

2Gunz

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

472 R/T SE

For $24.99 + the cost of a filter seems to be worth a shot.  My head unit is not one of the one's mentioned as not being compatible either.  I think I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the heads-up.  :thumbs:

2Gunz

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 19, 2007, 10:43:09 AM
cool idea....however I did find this on their site.....

http://www.pac-audio.com/faqs/faqs.asp?mmSeach=IR-X

Good Catch!

A simple DC/DC voltage regulator will fix that.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2494

You can also build your own.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2967

You could also try finding a cell phone/ laptop car charger with a 12 volt output.
That should clean up the power enough to make it work.

If you plan on adding more electronics to you car you might just want to invest in a
bigger and better regulator to power it all.

http://store.mp3car.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=11