News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacement VIN Tag

Started by lilwendal, February 08, 2007, 06:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilwendal

Well the Cuda I went to look at was perfect except for one thing the VIN tag is lost. Was taken off long ago for a dash pad change never to be found again.  All body #s match the title and the door decal but no VIN plate.
Has anyone ever heard of getting a correct replacement?  I know I can request one from the DMV here but I believe they issue a different type plate that has to be rivited on the door or somewhere visible.  Any ideas?
For now the purchase is on hold tillI can find out more about replacing a vin tag.

Big Lebowski

I've heard about the door getting a new tag, but repro tags may be a problem since every yahoo will order a new hemi coded tag for their 318 car.  :rotz:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Alaskan_TA

The only legal way is to go with the state issued VIN tag from your DMV.

Barry

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on February 08, 2007, 09:16:57 PM
The only legal way is to go with the state issued VIN tag from your DMV.

Barry

:iagree:

road/track

What if you have the broadcast sheet?  :shruggy:
-1971 Charger SE U-code 4spd track pack, one of 29...
-1971 Charger R/T 440 6 pack auto
-1961 Chrysler 300G CV, one of 337
-2014 BMW 435i M-sport

Old Moparz

Quote from: road/track on February 10, 2007, 03:09:32 PM
What if you have the broadcast sheet?  :shruggy:

The broadcast sheet doesn't mean a thing when it comes to legalities of a vehicle. It was only for the plant to build the vehicle, & probably just the equivelent of a packing list that comes with something you get in the mail. There's been many cars that ended up with the sheet from a different car. I have one for a 1968 Coronet R/T convertible that I found in my 1968 Coronet 500 convertible. It made me go back & re-read the VIN tag hoping I read it wrong the first time.  ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

y3chargerrt

Sounds like a BIG headache. I'd walk away.

dkn1997

If you go to datatags.com they will make you a vin if you give them proper documentation.  I know it's technically illegal, but
when is the last time you heard of someone getting arrested/prosecuted for putting a legit vin number on thier own car?  I have never heard of one.

some scammers get caught trying this, but I have never heard of a well meaning car owner getting tossed in the can for it. 
RECHRGED

Shakey

Quote from: dkn1997 on February 11, 2007, 12:15:05 AM
If you go to datatags.com they will make you a vin if you give them proper documentation.  I know it's technically illegal, but
when is the last time you heard of someone getting arrested/prosecuted for putting a legit vin number on thier own car?  I have never heard of one.

some scammers get caught trying this, but I have never heard of a well meaning car owner getting tossed in the can for it. 

I saw one guy state that you'd better be careful because if the cops pull you over and notice the incorrect rivets holding the VIN tag on, you'd be going to jail! 

dkn1997

Quote from: Shakey on February 12, 2007, 01:17:47 PM

I saw one guy state that you'd better be careful because if the cops pull you over and notice the incorrect rivets holding the VIN tag on, you'd be going to jail! 

Yeah, shakes, I have heard that too.  But you know something?  everyone says that you will get in trouble, but nobody I have ever heard of does.  and I doubt that any cop is going to notice if you had incorrect vin rivets.  shitty scraped up rivets?  yes, the cops will pick up on that.  but I have doubts that most cops know the correct rosette rivet for the late 60's  plus it's a moot point because I thing you can get them anyway.
RECHRGED

Old Moparz

I have a simple question.

What's the big deal to owning the car with a state issued VIN tag? As long as the car is free & clear of illegal issues, what's wrong? It wouldn't bother me in the least because it's not like people would walk up to it, look at the VIN on the dash & say "Oh, this isn't a real Cuda, it might be a VW Beetle, let's get away from it."
               Bob                

dkn1997

I would rather just have the factory vin number.  If I went to look at a car and saw some funky state tag in the door jamb, I would pass.  with my paranoia, I would probably think it's stolen. 
RECHRGED

Chris G.

Quote from: Old Moparz on February 12, 2007, 06:17:09 PM
What's the big deal to owning the car with a state issued VIN tag?

$$$$$ You know that Bob. Try getting the same amount of bucks for a car that has a state issued VIN. It just won't happen.

The guy from NY got pinched for faking a couple cars, but not sure how he made out. I'll bet it was nothing more than a slap on the wrist though.

TheAutoArchaeologist

It is just illegal, don't worry about it.

Ryan

Shakey

:iagree:

Kinda of like when I was doing 20 kmp/h over the speed limit on the way home from work tonight!   :yesnod:

No biggie.

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: Chris G. on February 12, 2007, 07:02:28 PM

The guy from NY got pinched for faking a couple cars, but not sure how he made out. I'll bet it was nothing more than a slap on the wrist though.

The car he had for sale was seized, he was convicted and ordered to pay restitution to the people he ripped off. There was some jail time, but I do not remeber what it was.

I have a new section on the HH site, the Federal, NY and CA VIN laws are listed so far. I will add the laws from other states as I can find them.

Here is the link:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/VINfraud/VINfraud.shtml

Barry

Old Moparz

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on February 12, 2007, 08:45:10 PM
Quote from: Chris G. on February 12, 2007, 07:02:28 PM

The car he had for sale was seized, he was convicted and ordered to pay restitution to the people he ripped off. There was some jail time, but I do not remeber what it was.

I have a new section on the HH site, the Federal, NY and CA VIN laws are listed so far. I will add the laws from other states as I can find them.

Here is the link:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/VINfraud/VINfraud.shtml

Barry

I know a lot of people would be afraid of the state issued VIN tag & that $$$ are the key, but my question was more or less to express my point of view. I'd be very cautious myself, but if the seller & the car were legit, then there isn't a problem with doing a DMV or police check as a stipulation to the sale. If it were a car I had always wanted & the price was right, I'd make my offer on it based on it being legal.

Anyone that buys a house with a mortgage gets title insurance because the bank requires it. The property is researched by the Abstract Co. to see if there is a lien, a right-of-way issue, or other problems to protect the bank's interest. It's become the norm & nobody questions it, so why not do it on a car? (Not title insurance, just verifying the legality of it.)

That guy in New York, is supposed to be able to keep the cars after he reimbursed the buyers & everything is determined, but they both get state issued VIN tags put on them. That would make them both legal & not a problem, other than being owned by a scumbag. If I wanted one of them & the price was right, it wouldn't change my opinion & I'd buy it. One is still an E-Body Barracuda/Cuda (or whatever) & the other is still a B-Body Coronet. Both would be fun cars to own & drive & either could have a motor swap done to give it a Hemi.

Here's the Hemming's Story on it, a very good read:
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/07/01/hmn_feature16.html

Hey Barry, great idea on adding the state laws to your site.  :2thumbs:
               Bob                

dkn1997

I still maintain that if it's your car, and you are putting on the vin # that it came with, that it's morally ok, even if it is technically illegal.  Yes, I know that if you start letting people do it legally, in no time there would be a billion "hemi" cars running around. 

Keeping illegal on paper is a good way to screw the scammers though.  I would just hope a cop or judge who came across someone who just replaced a correct destroyed vin tag would have the wisdom to look the other way.

Sort of on topic, but I wonder if the scammers are creating vin's for desireable, yet not "holy grail" cars?  like faking a vin# on charger to make it an original 383 or 4 speed car. those options won't put it into the same stratosphere as a hemi or a 440 r/t, but will make it more valuable than a 318 car.  The goal being to make extra bucks, but not to get looked too closely, like you would with the upper tier cars.  you would think that you could do that all day and nobody would crunch the numbers on a car like that because it's not barret/jackson superhyped type of optioned car.....we all know there are lots of fakes out there, but are there a ton more than we think? 

thinking about this is enough to make me never want to buy a desireable car and to just look for cars where the guy says, "originally_______but now has a _________in it" 

RECHRGED