News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power Bulge decal..

Started by T16, September 05, 2005, 04:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T16

Where can i find the black decal for a power bulge hood..? Dont want the R/T text.. just all black

Thanks..

73rallye440magnum

phoenix graphics probably has one, you could also try year one.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

golden73

AKcharger

I got one for my '72 it's nice but remember the small size was only correct for '71...other years the blackout was bigger

TruckDriver

Quote from: AKcharger on September 07, 2005, 07:23:38 PM
I got one for my '72 it's nice but remember the small size was only correct for '71...other years the blackout was bigger
:iagree:

And '72 to '74 blackouts were painted
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

golden73

Anyone know of any places that sell a 72-74 decal?

TruckDriver

Year One, Phoenix Graphics, graphic-express.com (listed above) and a few others
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

golden73

Thanks DodgeChargerGuy :)

btw graphic express only has the 71 decal

haueter66

Lets say someone wanted to order the decal in the picture above... what do you call it?  I mean, the only ones listed have either the superbee or r/t cutout...

was that decal original on something?  I am asking because I have a 71 with a bulge hood that I want to black out, but I dont like the later style bulge blackout (that goes all the way below the badges...

I tried to ask the year one consultant and he acted like I am a crazy man, which I might be, but still...

haueter66

Ohh... i see ... lol ... there are two different ones on that page... thanks!  I feel dumb ...

haueter66

ok so maybe im entirely crazy... but the picture at the top of the page shows the black decal not coming down over the sides... the one available at phoenix appears to come all the way down below the badges...

what gives?  I really prefer the one pictured in post one but I am afraid that's not what Im going to get if I order the one listed at phoenix...

anyone?

TruckDriver

There are 3 different style hood stripe for '71 thru '74 cars. The one shown is the '71 style
PETE

haueter66

so if i tell them i want a 71 style with no cutouts they should know what im talking about?

AKcharger

They only have the '71 style and the '74 style with cut-outs, they do not have the correct '72 bulge...that's what they show in their pictures but they ship the '71. I was disappointed to learn they offer but don't sell the right ones what am I going to do, no one makes '72 decals...looks OK though

haueter66

I like your car!  That looks great if you ask me!

Did you install it yourself?  Im thinking about trying it  :-\

AKcharger

Thanks for the kind words sir

Yup I installed it, not hard;
1) wet sanded area decal covers to eliminate dust buggies (not req. if your paint is smooth)
2) goupped on applicator gel (window cleaner works too)
3) slide decal on and got it in position
4) used a 'lil squeggie to press the gell out
5) let dry 6 hours and it's good!

I practiced on the doors and trunk lid decals 1st before I tackeled the hood since any goof would show

quikshft

I remember some years ago applying the hood decal to my '71 Superbee. It was a pretty intense operation. There was a paper film on the top of the decal which was supposed to be left on to protect itl during the squeegee process, I remember that it didn't really want to conform to the double curves of the hood. If I remember correctly we did end up removing the protective paper and carfully squeeging the water bubbles to the edges and out from under the decal. The final result was beautiful.

AKcharger

I left that paper on...it was no big deal to me PROVIDED you can clearly see the edges of the decal to position it correctly

quikshft

Quote from: AKcharger on October 11, 2005, 10:32:30 PM
I left that paper on...it was no big deal to me PROVIDED you can clearly see the edges of the decal to position it correctly

That was another issue...with the standard Superbee hood insert it was difficult to tell that the decal was centered over the opening. Much easier with the paper off. You can see there is very little decal left near the edges of the opening.

haueter66

so, once its on ... is waxing an issue or can you wax right over it?

Or, if waxing IS a problem, can you put the decal under the clearcoat?

quikshft

I wax right over mine with pure carnuba. I have also used a vinyl 'dressing' which gives the decals a nice wetter/blacker look.
I would never attempt to put clear over the decal. If that is the 'look' you want, I'd paint the design on and then clear over that. I doubt the clear would stay on the vinyl decal for long.

AKcharger

Phoenix graphics people say not to use wax and instead use some "special preservative" I used it and all it did was make streaks over the decal...looked awful! so wax sounds good to me!

And you can clear coat over them. I painted my '70 2 years ago and it's still perfect. I applied stripe, ruffed up a little with a scrubby for it to adhere then shot it with 3 coats of urethane clear...came out great and don't have to worry about waxing it

haueter66

ok.  thats why I was wondering ... hate to spend the money for paint and graphics just to ruin something 2 months later ..  ;)

Thanks