News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1974 Charger Option Codes

Started by Wheels of Terror, February 19, 2007, 10:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheels of Terror

Can anyone recommened a good resource for 1974 Charger RPO codes? Thank you so very much in advance!!! I do know that my Charger is a Spring Special with the Celebrity roof. The gentleman that I had purchased the car from said that my Charger is one of 212 built for 74. Can anyone verify that?  Regaurdless of what is found, he is very special to me. Can't wait to restore him. ;D
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
1982 KARR Knight Rider Replica
2009 Dodge Avenger
Looking for another Third Gen Charger

bordin34

I wouldnt doubt what he said. I have heard of spring special, but what is the celebrity roof? No vinyl?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

hemihead

Celebrity Roof is an Opera Window.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Wheels of Terror on February 19, 2007, 10:15:20 PM
Can anyone recommened a good resource for 1974 Charger RPO codes?

Unless there is something on this site, I would recommend Galen Govier's Production Option Code book 72-74 aka the White Books

http://www.gvgovier.com/
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

konigcharger

Quote from: bordin34 on February 19, 2007, 10:51:36 PM
I wouldnt doubt what he said. I have heard of spring special, but what is the celebrity roof? No vinyl?

all 74 spring special chargers came with a "celebrity" style roof with the open side window louvers and a full vinyl top

the 73 celebrity chargers came with the 3/4 vinyl top and side louvers that had only one smaller opening 

Quote from: Natcho-RT74
qoute That is a non common model. As far I know was simply called opera window without louvers, since is basically use the same SE quarter window parts but frame instead louvers. Dunno really if was celebrity model also on 74, but almost sure was on that way on 73. Maybe the code was keeped to make reference to that kind of window on WH23 cars.

attached the REAL celeb option, available just on 73 and EVEN MORE RARE. In fact this is the only one I have seen on te web. You can notice the SE vinyl top instead the full one and B pillar post area looks to be wider... Your one is only one year model, on 74 and apparently as stated: A77 Charger spr spec. 74

you could get your 74 with Rallye package too

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Ghoste

Why don't you post the codes you want deciphered?  (or maybe you already have in another thread)

Wheels of Terror

Since you asked Ghost.... ;)

V6K Y16 28 END AO7 M21 M25 M26 M31 R11 V1X U A77 B41 G56 H51 TX9 W1LL 000 416 928087 E44 D34 WH23 G46

Thank you, gentlemen!!!!
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
2009 Dodge Avenger

Charger1973

Quote from: Wheels of Terror on February 26, 2007, 08:26:52 PM

V6K Y16 28 END AO7 M21 M25 M26 M31 R11 V1X U A77 B41 G56 H51 TX9 W1LL 000 416 928087 E44 D34 WH23 G46

Thank you, gentlemen!!!!

It works best if you list the entire fender tag, in lines, as its written on the tag.  Or...  better yet, go here and download the fender tag decoder.  It works great.   :icon_smile_cool:
http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-fender-tag-decoder.php

Wheels of Terror

I have tried them already. They did not have some of my codes. They came up "Unknown at this time". :-\ I gues "W1LL" is the Charger's name given from the factory?? ;D :P I have a Charger named Will????(Joking) They did not have G56 V6K 28 G46. What does "Y16-Sales Bank Car "mean? How do i know that I have the 170HP 318 instead of the 150hp?  does the 170hp 318 have a 4 barrel?
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
2009 Dodge Avenger

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Wheels of Terror on February 26, 2007, 08:26:52 PM

V6K Y16 28 END
H51 M21 M25 M26 M31 R11
V1X U AO7 A77 B41 G56 
TX9 W1LL 000 416 928087
E44 D34 WH23 G46

QuoteI have tried them already. They did not have some of my codes. They came up "Unknown at this time".  I gues "W1LL" is the Charger's name given from the factory??   I have a Charger named Will?(Joking) They did not have G56 V6K 28 G46. What does "Y16-Sales Bank Car "mean? How do i know that I have the 170HP 318 instead of the 150hp?  does the 170hp 318 have a 4 barrel?

G46 is G - 4 - G meaning G= 3182bbl, 4=1974 model year and G for built at ST. Louis plant.

W1LL is the interior code: Cloth and vinyl bench seat; tangier (is that a spring special color/print like Aztec? What color is this that it goes with a copper stripe?)
G56= G56 is not a valid code
V6K= Side sport stripe in copper color
28= 28" radiator
E44= 318 2bbl 150horse in a Charger.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Wheels of Terror

Is the sport stripe like a Rally stripe or is it pinstripping? So what does "Sales Bank Car" mean? what code does a 170hp 318 have? :icon_smile_approve: Can a Spring special come with the Power Buldge hood? :P
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
2009 Dodge Avenger

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Wheels of Terror on February 28, 2007, 12:48:01 AM
Is the sport stripe like a Rally stripe or is it pinstripping? So what does "Sales Bank Car" mean? what code does a 170hp 318 have? :icon_smile_approve: Can a Spring special come with the Power Buldge hood? :P

It should be Rallye stripe and in fact V6K is degradated rallye stripe code, Black and Tan or brown. Not really sure. Pinstripe was more common on SEs (WP29) models. Bulge hood is part of Rallye package not related with VIN. However your bulged hood looks to be 73 because the grill, instead no grilles like 74 is. Probably and earlier assembly if id the origininal.

Spring special is another package and consist as far I know on the opera windows without louvers, and REAL full vinyl roof beside another stuff that I can't recall right now. I love that real full roof like 71/72s

About 318 4bbls... never have know about those, specially on 70s. I think they were really available with A egines ( earliers 318s, up to 67 ) and your one is a 318 LA. Down here in Venezuela, all 318 Chargers and 70 Coronet were 318 4bbls but is just here. Probably just is a piston issue in your case being probably a Rallye. Does your car has rear sway bar ?

Then it looks your car is a Nice Spring special with rallye package ??? or partially packaged like the one I'm posting ( look at tag and will see the V6K )

On third pic you will see how is the aztec interior, normally matched with brown carpet "white"/tan dash... or black

Do you want to register your car on 1974 Charger registry ? :D
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

hemihead

A Sales Bank Car was a car built by the factory with various options determined by sales numbers.It was placed in a huge lot outside the factory and when an order came in for a car with those options or a dealer wanted to purchase a group of cars, it was already to be shipped without having to wait to be built.
  Led Zeppelin

Wheels of Terror

:o Interesting!! My Charger is being picked up today or tomorrow by the trucking company for delivery. I do not know if it has a sway bar yet. That was going to be one of the first things i was going to check, due to the Rally hood. I did not think that a Rally/Spring special could be combined??? Can it? I had also read in one of my books that there were less than 1000 Spring specials made and there were also less than 1000 Chargers with the celebrity Roof. It is stainf that if you have a Spring Special and a celebrity Roofed charger it is even rarer then that. Due to therebeing no records kept, the rarity is unknown. is this true. lLke I had stated earlier, the guy I had bought it from stated in the auction that, it was on the rarer side being one of 212 made. what are the codes for a Rally packaged Charger? Is it possible that it could be a Spring special/Celebrity roofed Ralley option combined?

1999 Pontiac Trans Am
2009 Dodge Avenger

Wheels of Terror

more interior pics....
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
2009 Dodge Avenger

Wheels of Terror

The hood...
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
2009 Dodge Avenger

Charger1973

Like Nacho said the grilles at the back of the hood are the 73 style.  Anything is possible and different hoods do show up on different years, but its unlikely with your VIN number as far into the production run as yours, that you would have gotten the 73 style hood.  The 74 style should have no vents at the rear of the hood.  Also it would not be a Rallye car because there is no A57 code. 

Wheels of Terror

Quote from: Wheels of Terror on March 01, 2007, 01:53:22 PM
:o Interesting!! My Charger is being picked up today or tomorrow by the trucking company for delivery. I do not know if it has a sway bar yet. That was going to be one of the first things i was going to check, due to the Rally hood. I did not think that a Rally/Spring special could be combined??? Can it? I had also read in one of my books that there were less than 1000 Spring specials made and there were also less than 1000 Chargers with the celebrity Roof. It is stainf that if you have a Spring Special and a celebrity Roofed charger it is even rarer then that. Due to therebeing no records kept, the rarity is unknown. is this true. lLke I had stated earlier, the guy I had bought it from stated in the auction that, it was on the rarer side being one of 212 made. what are the codes for a Rally packaged Charger? Is it possible that it could be a Spring special/Celebrity roofed Ralley option combined?

Thank you. i did not think that it was a Rally for those stated reasons. However can someone either confirm or deny the statement about the low numbers?
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
2009 Dodge Avenger

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Charger1973 on March 01, 2007, 02:39:51 PM
.... Also it would not be a Rallye car because there is no A57 code. 

Yet is has the Rallye dash which was, supposedly, only available with the A57 Rallye package.  ???

Does anyone have any detailed info on the 74 Spring Special?

It will be interesting to see if the car has a broadcast sheet and if it can be read.

WOT...did you ask the previous owner about his source for the 212 claim? What was his basis for making this statement? You could contact GG and see if the Options and Accessories report is available for the 74 Charger. That would help.

Charger1973

Then again the cars not exactly 100% stock, so it could have been swapped out.  The standard gauges are really ugly and all SE cars had the Rallye cluster so they arent really hard to come by. 

Nacho-RT74

some stuff to consider:
I think you didn't really need to be rallye packaged or SE to get Rallye cluster. However it could be part of  Spring special package, and in fact maybe Spring Special was a Rallye look by default or partially Rallye with that Framed quarter. There is poor info about those Spring Special what consist and everything.

That Rallye cluster could be added or changed because damaged on original one since is not labeled on switches with icons like it was since 73, and does have 150 miles speedo. Some 73 Clusters were as earliers but maybe was a crossed parts to finish with assembly inventory, but definitelly 74 wasn't. Too many plants around with too many parts to get everything finished at the same time and start production with same parts.

Those are my thoughts
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Charger1973

I didnt even think about that.  Nacho is right though.  In 74 there were little icons next to the headlight and wiper switches so I dont think that is a 74 cluster... 

Wheels of Terror

The previous owner told me that the gauges and speedo were original. Like I had said before, my B-Body book had stated that there were less than 1000 Celebrity roofed cars made. there were also less thatn 1000 Spring Specials made. It said Chargers with that combo are even rarer. I know that books can be inaccurate too. I appreciate all of your continued help guys!!!!  :icon_smile_approve: You are all truly the BEST!!!  :yesnod:
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
2009 Dodge Avenger

Charger1973

These are the icons I was talking about for a 74 cluster, notice the one in your car does not have them. 

Rallyecharger

Hey, that is definetly a '73 hood and it is clear there were hood callout emblems once upon a time on it(3 holes drilled on each side of the power bulge).318 Cars never had callout emblems.360 cars had "MAGNUM" emblems but not the 318's........

hemihead

And as it was pointed out on a thread sometime ago( might have been on the old site), NOT all cars equipped with the Rallye package had the A57 code on the data tag.I happen to know of one, I work it  on everyday.
  Led Zeppelin

Nacho-RT74

Lynch Road asemblied cars are those weren't labeled with A57 code for Rallye as far I know. Rest were labeled on Fender Tag. That's what I know and have read on board since I'm not really on that kind of numbers. This was assemblied in St Louis.

Quote from: Rallyecharger on March 02, 2007, 02:29:36 AM
Hey, that is definetly a '73 hood and it is clear there were hood callout emblems once upon a time on it(3 holes drilled on each side of the power bulge).318 Cars never had callout emblems.360 cars had "MAGNUM" emblems but not the 318's........

Good point!!! and is a detail easy to forgett...so hood came out from 400 or 440 Magnum Rallye

konigcharger

hey hemi a agree that not all rallye cars have A57 on the fender tag,

those built at the Lynch Rd plant did not, but this car was built in St. Louis so reason dictates it is not a rallye

their are other things that point to this conclusion:
this is a relatively late production car, but..

bulge hood is from 73 not 74

has the earlier style gauges

plus the car has buckets out of a A or E-body
(No C56 means it more than likely came with a bench)

non original 4bbl

and other mods

these things tell me the car is far from original

rare, yes

desirable ?

Quote from: Wheels of Terror on March 01, 2007, 11:23:15 PM
The previous owner told me that the gauges and speedo were original. Like I had said before, my B-Body book had stated that there were less than 1000 Celebrity roofed cars made. there were also less than 1000 Spring Specials made. It said Chargers with that combo are even rarer. I know that books can be inaccurate too. I appreciate all of your continued help guys!!!! :icon_smile_approve: You are all truly the BEST!!! :yesnod:

again as far as i have seen all spring specials came with celebrity roof; i doubt you can have one without the other

i think your car is cool but i don't know that being a spring special makes it any more valuable, especially considering how modified it is

fix it and enjoy it 

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Wheels of Terror

My B-body book was saying that the Spring Special and the Celebrity Roof were not always combined. What makes it rare though? I have seen quite a few posted on this board. I do relize that some of them were not member's cars. I did know about the buckets not being origianal. I just wanted to know if my pride and joy should be restored to factory specs or restored and modded.  :devil: thanks again guys!!!
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
2009 Dodge Avenger

Charger1973

Quote from: Wheels of Terror on March 02, 2007, 12:08:13 PM
My B-body book was saying that the Spring Special and the Celebrity Roof were not always combined. What makes it rare though? I have seen quite a few posted on this board. I do relize that some of them were not member's cars. I did know about the buckets not being origianal. I just wanted to know if my pride and joy should be restored to factory specs or restored and modded.  :devil: thanks again guys!!!

Which book are you referring to, out of curiosity? 

I say build your car the way you want it.  Honestly I dont care for the look of those opera windows.  If it was me, I would keep them, but use the standard SE louvers on the car instead.  The bulge hood is my favorite thing about your car.  Its neat that its a spring special, but me personally... I would not place much, if any, extra value on it because of that.  Its not common by any means, but that doesnt make it desirable either.  The 73/74s a re starting to catch on, but still not that popular yet.  The really neat thing about your car is the fact that it has a FULL vinyl roof.  No other model of 73/74 Charger does.  If nothing else, I would consider at least keeping that part of it. 

Wheels of Terror

The book is"Musclecar Collector History-Charger, Road Runner ,and Super Bee" Authors are Paul Herd and Mike Mueller.
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
2009 Dodge Avenger

Wheels of Terror

Oh, well. i guess I will have to make it a Hypo Mopar instead of restored to stock.  ;D ;D
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
2009 Dodge Avenger

konigcharger