News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would cause a puddle of gas/oil mixture to blow out of the carb throat?

Started by WH23G3G, February 25, 2007, 08:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I believe I figured out or repaired the CHG and BRAKE light problem on that Datsun I'm trying to sell. I replaced the starter which was really weak and put a fresh battery in and it cranks a lot quicker. Now there is a problem when it starts. It chokes out immediately. Keeping in mind that the fuse that kept blowing and was simultaneously causing the BRAKE and CHG light to come on was for the Automatic choke. So I figured the choke wasn't opening, and I don't think it ever did. I had to keep the air cleaner lid off while the engine was running in order for it to stay running. Well after I drove around the yard for a awhile I noticed there was heat smoke coming from the throat of the carb. I didn't really think of it as a major problem at the time and so I tried to drive it around the neighbor hood. Mashing the gas in first gear you could feel the carb bog down, then 2, 3rd, and 4th were amazingly powerful. When I got back in the driveway I noticed smoke coming all under the hood, I was worried I blew another head gasket. But instead of seeing oil blown all down the sides of the motor, which was totally dry, there was a mixture of oil and gas all blown under the hood and on the firewall. Coming out of the carb throat. I took the air cleaner off, I had to run it with the lid off, and the air filter was soaked and the air cleaner was filled with this oil/gas mixture. It wasn't a strong odor of gas though, but you can tell it was oil/gas mixture because it was thinned. What could cause that? What could cause the choke to not open, even though the fuse was not blown? I'm hoping it's not the valves or valve stem seals which I replaced when I did the head gasket. All this time there wasn't ever any clouds of smoke coming from the tailpipe.