News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Computer expert needed

Started by Crazy440, September 06, 2005, 07:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy440

You know how when you click to go online, you hear the dial tone, then the number being dialed, ect?  Is there anyway of not hearing that?  I went into control panel and then to modem, then to properties and slid the thingy over to off.  I thought that would silence it.  But I still hear the same stuff, when I go online.
Any thoughts?
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

Khyron

Try this...

Windows 2000 or XP
In Windows 2000, click the Start button and select Settings, then Control Panel. In Windows XP, click the Start button, then select Control Panel.

Select the Modems tab. Highlight your modem and click Properties.

Select the Advanced tab and enter the string in the "Extra initialization commands" field. Usually you need to start the string with at&f . For some modems, you may need a   1 ,   2 , or   x   after the   f , for example, at&f1m1 to turn the modem sound on while it's trying to connect.

The options you need i believe would be at&f1m0

Click OK, then OK again.

Init options

M0   Speaker always off
M1   Speaker on during connection
M2   Speaker always on (very noisy)
L0   Lowest volume
L1   Lowest volume (redundant)
L2   Medium volume
L3   Maximum volume

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Crazy440

Thanks for the reply, Khyron.   But I have win98.   No advance tab.  Just a thing for speaker volume.  You slide it to the right, for on and to the left for off.  I slide it to the left but still hear the modem.

Drache

Ok here it is:

My Computer
Dial Up Networking
Right click on your the dialup you created and go to properties
Down towards the bottom should be a button that says Configure
Click it
You should now see a volume control
If not then your modem doesn't support it and thus you cannot turn it off
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Crazy440

Thanks Drache.  That's the volume control that I turned off.  I guess, my modem (PCTEL Pentium V.90) can't be turned off.

MoparYoungGun

I just turn off/mute my speakers.

Drache

Modems don't "dail up" through your external computer speakers. That sound you are hearing them dialup with is the internal speaker built into either the modem or the inside of the computer itself. Thus if you tried that way I suggested and it didn't work, short of disconnecting your internel speaker, sorry you're outta luck.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

SirNik73

i had a PCtel modem that i didn't realy like because of that... i was fet up and willing to do anything to get it to stop including buying a new modem... so before i spent the money on a new modem i jabed a tack into the speaker on the modem card. it worked til i gave up on dialup and went Broadband. I'm not telling you to atack the modem :smash: ... but if you are willing to buy a new one try it and maybe it will work for you too.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD