News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what is the beat way to paint or dye interior parts

Started by skeets 66, February 27, 2007, 11:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeets 66

i have a 66 charger with about 4 different interior colors,,what is the best way to clean and paint or dye the interior panels

Chatt69chgr

I like the SEM line of interior dyes.  They are a "professional" product usually only available from shops that sell paints and painting supplies to the refinishing trade.  You can learn more about them by googling SEM.  Look in the phone book for automotive refinishing supplies and call a couple of places and you will soon learn who carries this product line.  While you are there, ask them how to use the product as most of these places are very helpful.  There are now some materials available from Krylon called Fusion for Plastic available from places like Walmart.  I can vouch for the SEM as I have used it successfully but you will have to use the Krylon product at your own risk.  When using the SEM, don't lay it down heavy.  Use light coats, let dry some, then more light coats.  If you get it on too heavy, it can have a tendency to not want to dry.  You also have to get ALL the silicone off anything to be covered or you will get fish eyes.  Ask the folks at the "trade" paint store what they recommend to clean the surfaces with to get rid of the silicone.  Make sure that you always experiment on a surface that will be hidden so if it messes up you won't make the same mistake on a whole exposed panel.  Better yet, go to the junkyard and get some panels from old Mopars and use them to play with.  I bet if you explained what you were doing a friendly local junkyard would give you some old panels that were not any good for anything else for this purpose.

Bandit72

i had a buddy use the "Fusion" paints on his camaro...and it sucked...began flaking off in 2 or 3 weeks....we were not to happy
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 28, 2007, 12:49:27 AM
I like the SEM line of interior dyes.  They are a "professional" product usually only available from shops that sell paints and painting supplies to the refinishing trade.  You can learn more about them by googling SEM.  Look in the phone book for automotive refinishing supplies and call a couple of places and you will soon learn who carries this product line.  While you are there, ask them how to use the product as most of these places are very helpful.  There are now some materials available from Krylon called Fusion for Plastic available from places like Walmart.  I can vouch for the SEM as I have used it successfully but you will have to use the Krylon product at your own risk.  When using the SEM, don't lay it down heavy.  Use light coats, let dry some, then more light coats.  If you get it on too heavy, it can have a tendency to not want to dry.  You also have to get ALL the silicone off anything to be covered or you will get fish eyes.  Ask the folks at the "trade" paint store what they recommend to clean the surfaces with to get rid of the silicone.  Make sure that you always experiment on a surface that will be hidden so if it messes up you won't make the same mistake on a whole exposed panel.  Better yet, go to the junkyard and get some panels from old Mopars and use them to play with.  I bet if you explained what you were doing a friendly local junkyard would give you some old panels that were not any good for anything else for this purpose.

sem all the way the stuff just works :iagree:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Doright

I used SEM stuff worked good lasts a good long time :thumbs:
I used it on my old ski boat interior got me couple more years out of the old vinyl
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

skeets 66

thanks guys,,,that really helps

1 last thing,,,is there any way to fix a crack in the dash cover,,,or should i just see about spending $300 for a good one  :-\

Chatt69chgr

A temporary fix is one of those plastic dash covers.  As far as I am concerned, the only good fix is to have it redone.  They will reuse your old steel frame.  The repops were no good as they used a plastic frame and drooped over time.  I am not real keen on using 38 year old originals.  They get hard and one push on them and they crack.  And it's too hard to replace them to end up having to do it over again later.  You just need to bite the bullet and get yours redone.  You will have some piece of mind that way.

Captain D

Has anyone used any of the VHT Dyes for their door panels, dash board, and seating??

If so, how is their quality? Is it something worth purchasing for long term use & durability?

And lastly...for those General Lee owners (or anyone), have you used their Saddle-Tan or Buckskin-Tan for your interior? If so, which of the two would you prefer (if any)?

Thank you for any help & replies!
Aaron

smokinrt

Quote from: skeets on February 27, 2007, 11:18:51 PM
i have a 66 charger with about 4 different interior colors,,what is the best way to clean and paint or dye the interior panels
Did it the easy way, spray cans, just finished painting my vinyl, plastic in my LS5 today.  Did it in several coats using spray cans.  The company I used matched the GM color specs exactly, be it 0degree gloss for plastic or 30degree vinyl, it matched exactly.  TOWER PAINT, 920-235-6520, WI, talk w/ Chris.  Just make sure it is cleaned via a good degreaser. light sanding w/ scoff pad, clean w/ soap and water.  Make sure parts are at least in a 70 degree climate+ for better results.

Have fun,
Bryan

v21hemicharger

I just did the parts on my dash.  I cleaned them with soap and water then made a paste w/ tide laundry soap, very little water and scrubbed w/ toothbrush.  Rinsed w/ water and dried.  Used SEM vinyl prep then rinsed w/ water and dried. Used SEM landau black and they turned out great.  Sorry no pics I'm at work.  Mike

jaak

I agree with most here... SEM is the only way to go.  I use to detail/recondition used cars and have used it numerous times with great results.... to give you an example of how good it is.....
My daily driver is a 2001 S-10 I bought new, I had a set of those nice thick rubber floor mats that were clear, I wanna them to match my interior, so I washed them real good, with detergent and water, then i think I wiped them down with denatured alcohol. Spayed them with SEM graphite color, I think I done this in 02 so 5 years later the floor mats look as good as the day I dyed the, only a little mark (about the size of a quarter has wore a little from my right heel)
So I am sold on the stuff. The last I bought it was around 10-11 a can, but well worth what you pay. If you are doing alot of stuff you may want to buy it in quarts, its pre-thinned and ready to spray right out of the can... just pour in your gun and shoot.

Jason

Captain D

Thanx guys for the replies! I'll definitely go for the SEMS Vinyl Dye! Thanks again!

skeets 66