News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

two questions please

Started by 400/6/PAC, March 06, 2007, 09:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400/6/PAC

First of all
Thanks for everything you do for us.
Q#1
I have no problem uploading pics, but when they are posted they are HUGE, So big somtimes that you cant tell what the picture is of.
I'm sure it's on my end but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Q#2
On the online swap meet, Troy you ask us to notify a Moderator when a part is Bought, sold, or no longer needed.
I try to notify Moderator and I get , You cant report your own thread.
Thats understandable.
I was just wondering whats the best way to notify so You Guy's can delete the thread.
Thanks
David

Troy

1. There's a difference between "file size" and "viewable size" on pictures. The file size is how much space it takes up on your hard drive or when traveling across the internet. This is measured in bytes (kilobytes, megabytes, etc.). The pictures here are limited to 200kB in file size. The viewable size is measured in pixels and determines how much screen space the picture will take up. When dealing with pictures on the internet the conversion is 72 pixels per inch of screen space. Therefore, an 800x600 pixel image is roughly equivalent to 11x8.5 inches. Now comes the tricky part: file size is only partially dependent on the viewable size and vice versa. The file size is dependent on picture quality (resolution) more than anything else. When you use an editing program to shrink an image you can either make the viewable size smaller, lower the resolution, or both. It sounds like you are lowering the resolution and leaving the "size" the same. Are your pictures blurry or "pixelated" (blocky) when you post them? It's usually better to lower the viewable size first and then see what that does to the file size. If you still need to shrink the image then lower the resolution until it's an acceptable size for the forum. I have found that 800x600 with 80% image quality will generally be less than 200kB and the pictures will still have a lot of detail.

2. You can't report your own posts as you've discovered. You can respond to the thread with a new post or change the title of the thread by editing the original post. Use the "Reply" or "Modify" buttons when you're viewing the thread.

Oh, I read one of your other posts about saving bandwidth. Don't worry too much about that (we're using 6% of what's available right now). The only time that annoys me is when people post the same picture many, many times with different names. Otherwise, the upload feature is there for everyone to use to make their lives easier and to share with others.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

400/6/PAC

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.