News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Axle spacer block ???

Started by 69fourspd, March 08, 2007, 06:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69fourspd

I am swapping an open 489 carrier to a suregrip 741.  When I look down where the axles go into, they look very different.  Can somebody tell me what I am missing here?  I am not very familiar with rear ends.  Thank You.

First pic is the 489, Second is the 741

Ghoste

Because your 741 has a spacer in there between the axles.

69fourspd

It appears they both have a spacer though.  The 489 has large shiny spacers while the 741 only has what looks to be a rod.  Is this just two different kinds, because the 741 looks to be missing something compared to the 489?

Ghoste

Well, both sort of.  The shiny thing in your 489 is a thrust block.  In the 741 case you have, the two smaller diameter circles looking back at you are spacers that fit into the thrust block.  They were done away with on the 489.  Basically, if you use the 741, make sure the spacers don't fall out.  The spacers go in each side and are about an inch long and are somewhat "T" shaped cylinders when you look at them from the side.

69fourspd

Thanks Ghoste.  i am glad to hear the 741 isn't missing pieces!  Now it is time to clean and paint it up!