News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blade's car.. 1968 Charger suspension question.

Started by K9COP, March 09, 2007, 09:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9COP

Hi again guys, I originally sourced a '68 to build a Blade replica, but having seen several of the 'primer black' or 'hotrod black' cars in the 'readers rides' thread, I've changed my mind, and am going to express more of myself with the car. HOWEVER when I watch the movie Blade, when the car is first transporting the girl back to the base, the front end of the rear springs looks unattached to the car. I can't see how this would work, or what it does, but I've watched it over and over. Any ideas?

Will try to get a screen shot of no one gets what I mean..

Paul
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

Ghoste

It's not a traction bar flopping around under there is it?

K9COP

ER, not sure what that is, but no, I'm sure it's the front of the leaf spring..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

Ghoste

A traction bar is a length of steel tube that connects to the rear axle and extends forward.  Under hard acceleration, the idea is that the front of the bar will rise up and strike the bottom of the leaf spring and hold the axle steady thereby preventing wheelhop.

Ghoste

The Charger used in Blade belongs to a member here btw.  If you do a search for the Blade Charger it should turn up all kinds of pics.

K9COP

No shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!! How cool is that. Do you know who? Wow. Hang on, I'll get a screen shot.. see what you think. What an awesome site.

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

Ghoste

Here's a link to a good thread.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,14374.0.html

I just checked and it's definitely a traction bar.  I think the owner goes by blade for a user name.

K9COP

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

Ghoste

blade trinity was the members name.  It looks as though he may have sold the car last year though.

If you go to that link I posted, about three pics down you will see a side shot of that car.  The thing hanging below the leaf spring is the traction bar.  It's function is as I mentioned above and it's purpose is to try to keep the axle from bouncing around under hard acceleration and losing traction.

K9COP

That's the very thing. Thank you Sir. I missed your reply with the function, got it now. What a cool look for the Charger, just not sure it's a very 'durable' look if you knwo what I mean, or if you'd get bored with it. Love to find the oiriginal car though. they must have built several, as there's quite a dynamic chase section in the thrid film, which is called 'trinity'.

Thanks very much, Paul

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

Ghoste

You're probably right, I think it's a bit of a rarity in Hollywood to use a single vehicle anytime it's seen frequently throughout a film.  I'm pretty sure the one that was around here was a primary one though.  I think it may have been used in some other stuff too.  Stretching my memory a bit now.

K9COP

Thanks for all your help. It would be nice to see it sometime. I always wondered what happens to the 'ex-film' cars. I know the General Lees make silly money, but there must be opportunities  to own other ex film stuff.. I often wondered what happened to the wrecked mongrel Charger from the Fast and the Furious..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

Ghoste

Just use that search function at the top of the page my friend.  I forget where the F&F car is now, but I know it's been extensively discussed here.

K9COP

Thanks again. It's sites like this with knowledgeable members like you that make the leap to own a car older than I am less scary. Thanks.

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

THE CHARGER PUNK

i personally saw all the blade chargers used in blade trinity , my friend built the engine for the hero car and ive been for a ride in it, also the paint is black epoxy primer :yesnod:

K9COP

Cool, how many were there, and how did they do the flaming exhausts? Just gas injection at the tips? I like the six headlights too..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

THE CHARGER PUNK

there were 3 chargers used, propane injection for blue flames out back,4 fog lights in the grille,6-pack scoop with grille screen in it :yesnod:, american racing outlaw 1 rims :yesnod:

mikepmcs

Quote from: CaymanSublime on March 11, 2007, 05:04:09 PM
Cool, how many were there, and how did they do the flaming exhausts? Just gas injection at the tips? I like the six headlights too..

http://www.hackaday.com/2006/03/03/exhaust-flame-throwers/

http://www.tnga.org.nyud.net:8090/Tech/flame_throwers.htm

here you go for a quick version.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Here's old school.   Couldn't you just take a wire tapped on to the #1 spark wire and run it out back and the unburned gas would ignite off the spark generated from said wire. :shruggy:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

myk

The NOS system in that chase scene was supposed to be announced by a brief flame at the tips, so placing a wire from the spark plugs would keep the flame ignited constantly, wouldn't it?  Ah who cares, dumb movie anyway...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Blakcharger440

It was a great movie with awesome sequels but I didnt like the flames.