News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dennis's long drawn out 70 R/T Resto....

Started by The70RT, March 26, 2007, 08:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger_boy

69bronzeT5

yep, that was around the time when my dad got some money and he said the car would be going to the body shop......well.....long story short, its NOT IN THE BODY SHOP! :brickwall: :icon_smile_big:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

The70RT

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 07, 2007, 10:19:17 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 16, 2007, 05:20:43 PM
The resto on my 69 has taken almost 9 years. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Thank god it's gonna be over soon :angel:

Ok, the car isnt gonna be done as soon as I thought lol....its gonna be longer :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Yep it takes everyone longer than they think, especially if your a one man crew....I can relate to that. I can't remember but didn't you say your parents are split up? If your dads not gonna help you might have to find your mom a new boyfriend that is into cars and then you will maybe get some help on it  :scratchchin:

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 07, 2007, 09:52:49 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 07, 2007, 09:51:52 PM
Man, I love epoxy primer  :drool5: Now, you're making me want to strip mine and do it right

nows the time!!

Yeah don't wait till prices go up and your not getting any younger either. I have others on the back burner and time is ticking on my ole body.........sell those GM's and getter done. :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69bronzeT5

Quote from: The70RT on October 08, 2007, 09:02:50 AM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 07, 2007, 10:19:17 PM

Ok, the car isnt gonna be done as soon as I thought lol....its gonna be longer :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Yep it takes everyone longer than they think, especially if your a one man crew....I can relate to that. I can't remember but didn't you say your parents are split up? If your dads not gonna help you might have to find your mom a new boyfriend that is into cars and then you will maybe get some help on it  :scratchchin:

:smilielol:, yea they split up. By the way man, your car is looking GREAT! :2thumbs:

The70RT

The70RT

I got one corner almost finished out. I am gonna do the other one next but - Do the lines look ok? Too wide or too narrow? Should I dull the edges more and what about the top line??

The70RT

?

hemi68charger

Quote from: The70RT on October 13, 2007, 02:53:18 PM
I got one corner almost finished out. I am gonna do the other one next but - Do the lines look ok? Too wide or too narrow? Should I dull the edges more and what about the top line??

Your work looks great.. The quarter line looks good, but I have to ask, is there a reason you filled in the joint between the end cap and the rear valance? It's supposed to be open.........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

The70RT

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 13, 2007, 03:03:50 PM
Quote from: The70RT on October 13, 2007, 02:53:18 PM

Your work looks great.. The quarter line looks good, but I have to ask, is there a reason you filled in the joint between the end cap and the rear valance? It's supposed to be open.........

Troy

I guess i had too wide of gap? I looked all over and had a heck of a time trying to find pics. Is that gap supposed to be wider compared to the quarter line?  :brickwall:

tan top

looking good   :yesnod: done some real nice work there  :2thumbs: ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi-hampton

I think the lines look good. At least you have the lines. Not going to mention any names but I hate when the lines are missing, Then it looks like the 1/4 & rear valance are all made of one peice which they are not & then I think Bondo buggy :eek2: Dont forget to cut the Trunk floor drain plug holes. Looks good so far  :2thumbs: LEON.

The70RT

Thanks Leon.  I replaced the crossmember, rear valance and corners. I just couldn't get the rear quarter that I replaced to move in enough to connect to the corner without bending it in and looking funny so I had the gap.It lined up every where else and welded it to the corner last. I guess I didn't weld in enough metal to take away the gap but measured off the other side since I did it first. I guess if it was my profession I would have caught it before hand some how. Live and learn I guess. there isn't a lot of bondo so far so I guess I can live with it.

The70RT

Slowly but surely doing the body work. Working 50 hours a week at work then getting the garage warmed up in the evening make for just a few hours most nights. Keeping the firewood supply going takes up some time too. Throw in a ice storm with no power for a couple days and the the ole lady going in for knee & ankle surgery today and the usual family things here and there seem to pop up all the time. It has been a year now and seems like I just started yesterday so I guess that's a good thing  :icon_smile_big:

PocketThunder

Keep up the good work.  Winter time is a good time to be bunkered down in the garage sanding primer. :buff:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

six-tee-nine

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 18, 2007, 11:43:40 AM
Keep up the good work.  Winter time is a good time to be bunkered down in the garage sanding primer. :buff:

Dunno about you guys but i'm currently freezing my butt off in my garage not really encouraging..... :RantExplode:

Anyway i think your bodywork is really great and i agree on the lines with  hemi-hampton
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

MM1R/T

70RT:

Where did you get the rear crossmember? How accurate of a reproduction is it? Did it fit well?

My '68 needs a rear crossmember and I need one with the round center hole like yours has.

BTW:  The car is looking great.

The70RT

Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 18, 2007, 02:37:47 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on December 18, 2007, 11:43:40 AM

Dunno about you guys but i'm currently freezing my butt off in my garage not really encouraging..... :RantExplode:

Anyway i think your bodywork is really great and i agree on the lines with  hemi-hampton

I am like you I hate working in the cold. I got a wood stove and an endless supply of wood so I am good to go. MM1R/T - I got the rear crossmember from autobody specialties. It had to be modified like every other aftermarket part.

bull

So you were like 7 when you started, bronzie?

Excellent work on that window frame. You got skillz!

The70RT

Finally got the trunk sealed up.

The70RT

Got me some subframe connectors a while back

The70RT

I put some rust encapulator on them then primered them. Bolted and welded them in. I may not have a high horse motor when I install it but that's down the road and I may later so I thought I would do it now before the bottom is painted.

Charger-Bodie

Its looking great dude, are you gonna cut the holes for the plugs back in before you shoot it?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69bronzeT5

Quote from: bull on December 20, 2007, 11:39:08 AM
So you were like 7 when you started, bronzie?

Yep. We got it in December 1998.

The70RT

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 06, 2008, 08:33:51 PM
Its looking great dude, are you gonna cut the holes for the plugs back in before you shoot it?

Thanks Brian. Yeah I just got the hole saw bit this weekend....that's next.

paironines

The last Auto Body Specialty rear cross member that I measured was too tall and too wide. If you pushed it up to the bottom of the frame rails, the top of the cross member was about 3/4 of an inch higher than the top of the rails. It should be flush top and bottom.   It also didn't have the steps in each end to clearance the valance corners.  The one you can get from the Paddock or whoever else is more money but is very close to original.   I repaired an original one and returned my ABS one with great hassle.