News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How stupid does this sound?

Started by learical1, March 28, 2007, 07:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should some one use a 70 Coronet to make a "clone"?

Sounds kinky.  Do it!
3 (30%)
Might be OK.  Draw it out first.
4 (40%)
I'm neutral on this.
2 (20%)
I wouldn't want to see it after eating.
1 (10%)
Sacrilege!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 11, 2007, 07:27:05 PM

learical1

This may have been done before (if so, please post pictures!) but...
Since you need so many 70 Coronet parts for your average SuperBird clone, why not just put a window plug, nose, and wing on a 70 Coronet?  Stripe the back end and call it something stupid, like a KILLER BEE!  I'll never be able to afford to do it, unless I hit the powerball, but it sound interresting to be just a little different.  What say you?
Bruce

hotrod98

Doesn't sound much kinkier than the plan floating around my shop lately. Several guys around here have bought 3rd gen cars lately and they want me to repop the g-series wings for their cars. Wings only...no other modifications.
Keep us posted if you win the powerball. Wait...won't you be able to buy a real bird if you win the powerball?  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

71ChallengeHer

daytonalo

Not a fan of the 3rd gen bird that never was , although would definitely build a petty clone . Just my 2 cents   Larry O

learical1

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 28, 2007, 07:58:24 PM
Keep us posted if you win the powerball. Wait...won't you be able to buy a real bird if you wing the powerball?  ;D

I've had a real 'Bird of 4 already.  What I'd want to drive would destroy the value of a true Aero Car.  It sould have to be a clone so it could be made to suit my purposes, evil or otherwise. :devil:
Bruce

69_500

No problem in driving a real Superbird. Heck if I had one I'd drive the wheels off of it. I drive my 500 just like I would any other car.

Aero426

Dan Vassh has built a replica Bird stock car from a Coronet body.     It looks pretty good from the stands.   It is built off a Coronet street car, and still has the Coronet rear clip.   It runs a 355 Mopar small block.   

learical1

I'm a Phoenix native.  I drove non-air-conditioned Superbirds in 115 degree weather.  I don't care how many windows you open and how many vents you pull, it frickin' HOT!  At 51 years, I'm not going to have a car without air.  Also, I'd like some SERIOUS performance, suspension and brake mods.  I want to kill everything I come up against.  The last two mods are visual mods.  What's the ugliest thing about a Bird or daytona?  Open headlights!  Id like a system that I could mount behind a plexiglass cover.  Put the park lamps up with the headlamps, and that frees up some airflow for the a/c.  Some further nosecone mods would complete the transformation.  If I were an artist, I'd draw it out for you. 
Bruce

learical1

And a custom interior with a killer sound system.  I DID sell off my mopars to support my music habit, so I gotta have my tunes!
Bruce

hotrod98

Didn't mean to get off of the subject earlier, but I have most of the parts to build a 71 R/T wing clone. Thinking real seriously about not using my daytona nose for the 3rd gen after all. Need to save it for my 69 clone. I think the car would look fine without the nose.

I've seen a coronet wingcar conversion but can't find any pics. May have been in the computer that crashed.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

Sorry Larry . I want to vomit when I see a 3rd gen wing car , wing is horrendous

hotrod98

I would never do the double horizontal wing. Too strange in my opinion. The cars that I've seen with the single horizontal look much better.
Overall though, I do like the white Dayclona car. I think it's very well executed. I have the R/T louvered hood for mine and may use the sunroof that I have in another parts car. Haven't decided on the color yet for sure. I'll use the 440-6 motor and 4 speed since my wife has declared that she gets the bird clone and it better have a 5.7 hemi automatic setup. Her fuel injected cuda has her spoiled.

Charles Addams

learical1

Hey, Doug, any more pictures of the Coronet clone?  I'd love to see the rear quarters and taillamp panel with a wing overhead.  Does the car have the 'Bird style back window?
Bruce

Aero426

No Bird rear window.   I will see the car next month locally at the race track.   I had to dig to get that one pic.     Up close the car is a bit crude, but again, it looks good at speed.

nakita7

Quote from: learical1 on March 28, 2007, 07:27:05 PM
This may have been done before (if so, please post pictures!) but...
Since you need so many 70 Coronet parts for your average SuperBird clone, why not just put a window plug, nose, and wing on a 70 Coronet?  Stripe the back end and call it something stupid, like a KILLER BEE!  I'll never be able to afford to do it, unless I hit the powerball, but it sound interresting to be just a little different.  What say you?

Looks to me like you're getting your 'birds and you're 'bees mixed up.... :rofl:

learical1

Not this old man!  when I had the SuperBirds, I can't tell you how many times some one would say, "that's one of those Super Bee's!"  I finally gave up trying to correct them.  (Best one was at the World of Wheels show at Phoenix in 1978. My Lime Light ' bird was fresh from the body shop, and a man and his son were looking a it.  "Look, Dad!  It's a Chevelle with a Corvette front end on it."  "No, Son, I believe it's a Plymouth."  "No, Dad!  It's a Chevelle with a Corvette front end!")
Bruce

Ghoste

Oh yes.  I've had my 69 called a GTO and a Chevelle, my Challenger called a Cuda, all my Chargers have been called Challengers, my Plymouths callled Dodge and vice versa.  It just goes on and on doesn't it?

hotrod98

So many people referred to my 71 Cuda as a Camaro at car shows that my buddies started telling people to come over and say "Hey  man...nice Camaro". It was a running joke for two or three years.
The worst case of mistaken identity was when a guy wanted to trade a Superbird for my dragster and trailer in 2000 and my wife said definitely not because she hated Superbirds. Since she usually lets me buy whatever I want and I kind of hated to lose the racecar anyway, I said no to the trade. Exactly one week later, we went to the Nats in Columbus and when we walked by the Superbirds, she mentioned that they were her favorite car of all of the mopars. I reminded her that she had just said one week earlier that she hated them. She then said " Oh sorry, it's Superbees that I don't like".  I called the Superbird owner when we got home and he had already bought a racecar. My life story.

Charles Addams