News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I don't get that F#ck!n' fuel pump back on! YEAH... it's fixed !!!

Started by CB, September 10, 2005, 09:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

Car died a week ago. I removed the old pump, ordered a new pump but now I can not reinstall it.
For hours I was trying to but no  :flame:

What am I doing wrong?
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

ramit

I think you need to crank the engine so that the pump rod will slide into place.  Just hit the key so the engine cranks one revolution until you can get the pump rod to slide in.

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

ramit

You need to just hit the key real fast to get the engine to crank over one revolution.  You need to do that until the cam inside the motor lines up correctly so that the arm of the fuel pump will slide in.  The fuel pump will always come out easily even if it is not lined properly for the new one to go in.  Are you having problems getting the arm of the fuel pump to slide in or are you having problems with something else?

CB

I don't get the holes lined up to tighten the bolds. The left one I can fasten, the right one doesn't line with the hole.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

ramit

Sorry, I do not know what to tell you.  Hopefully someone else can help you out.  I know how much it sucks to be in the middle of a project and get stuck on something.

CB

...and there is a bigMopar Meet tomorrow so my Charger need to beready. Also tacling with the adjustment of the kick down linkage.  :rotz:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

DFS68_Charger

CB,

Big Block, 383 or 440?

If so, there is a round shaft inside the motor that drives the fuel pump arm. When you removed the old fuel pump, the shaft probably slid down and is now in the way. You need to slide the round shaft back up and out of the way before installing the new pump. Try lubricating the round shaft with some light grease (White Lithium if you have it) it will help prevent the round shaft from sliding back down and getting in the way. Hope this helps.

DFS

Blown70

I agree with the above however, do you have the correct pump.  I mean measure the hole distance to be sure on the block an pump as well, but It should not have a problem with hole alignment.?

CB

I got a 383 engine.

ok, let me try this one. Thanks a lot people!
Later.

UPDATE:  15' later, armed with your advice and WACK !!! she fired up  :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

Thanks guys!!!   lesson learned! :bow:  :cheers:  :bow:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

DFS68_Charger

cudaken

Hey CB, do you read all the post you make? I posted about the greas trick when you first posted about the fuel problem Tuesday or so.

Cuda Ken
I am back

CB

sorry, CudaKen, I would have been a bit too :flame:
Thanks for the advice,appreciate it!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500