News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Hidden headlight grill restoration

Started by Doright, April 10, 2007, 04:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doright

72 Hidden headlight grill restoration
Any body know of a good shop to have one redone too look new?
Or how to go about redoing it?
I know its all chrome and painted black squares on the panels but was the paint just paint or was it a powder coated from the factory?
On the fillers outside of the flat panels was this paint or chrome? I know the edges were chrome But I cant tell if the ruff part is paint or chrome ?
I wonder if any bumper shops are providing this service? Like to just send off both front and rear and have them done
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

tricky lugnuts

Don't know of any good shops doing it, BUT... I spent a bunch of time on mine this past summer.
I think the black squares are paint. I scuffed them all up with a scotch brite and a scotch brite on a knife to get into all the corners and crevices. Pitting is what will mess you up with this technique; fortunately mine had relatively few pits. I then blew them all out and painted them a satin black. Didn't mask off the chrome lines around the blacks squares at all -- just used a rag with lacquer thinner to clean the chrome up.
Those filler panels with the shiny 1/8" to 1/4" chrome strip around the edge are painted argent silver. Underneath that silver paint is chrome, if you sand it all away. I just scuffed mine up, made a straight line with masking tape, and sprayed. Grill looks a hundred times better now.

Doright

I really appreciate the response I really want to have mine re-chromend along with the bumpers and was wondering how to do the squares, sounds like a good idea to me just wipe the paint away, I like it.

You don't know about the center strip down the middle do you? Mine is 98% black but on the the driver side has red paint in there looks like there may have been some sort of Dodge Badge in there too with the red.
Doright
A&P FCC 

Charger1973

Quote from: Doright on April 14, 2007, 03:42:30 PM
I really appreciate the response I really want to have mine re-chromend along with the bumpers and was wondering how to do the squares, sounds like a good idea to me just wipe the paint away, I like it.

You don't know about the center strip down the middle do you? Mine is 98% black but on the the driver side has red paint in there looks like there may have been some sort of Dodge Badge in there too with the red.

The 71s used the DODGE logo on the drivers headlight door. 

Doright

The red I'm talking about is just to the out side of the Dodge emblem there on the drivers head light door.
What do you guy's think about making that whole center strip Red?

By the way thats a super nice 71
Doright
A&P FCC 

Charger1973

Im not sure if it was factory or not, but I have seen more than one car with the stripe painted in.  I thought about doing mine in body color but since I decided on yellow, im not so sure anymore. 

Doright

Doright
A&P FCC 

CharlieCharger

I think it was an option, I have seen 100 point 3rd gens with the stripe on the grill.  :yesnod: anyone care to ring in?
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

Doright

I like the Black, Red, and the Blue on those cars.
I need to find a good Chrome shop near me, Lots of good Powder coaters here in Vegas and a few Chrome shops but they all get a premium for there work. 
Doright
A&P FCC 

Charger1973

Been working on my hideaways today...  Im not finished but so far I really like it.  What do you guys think?  If you couldnt tell, my car will be yellow.   ;)

Charger1973

Quote from: Charger1973 on May 16, 2007, 08:19:02 PM
Been working on my hideaways today...  Im not finished but so far I really like it.  What do you guys think?  If you couldnt tell, my car will be yellow.   ;)

T16

Quote from: Charger1973 on May 16, 2007, 08:19:02 PM
  What do you guys think?  If you couldnt tell, my car will be yellow.   ;)

Yellow is a nice colour  :icon_smile_big:

Grill looks great by the way..

Idahogrumpbee

Looks kind of like mine... Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

Charger1973

Doright

If and when I get around too it I am going to go for the original look