News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Purple 70 daytona from KS in May 2007 MCG

Started by nascarxx29, April 11, 2007, 08:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

The results are in to its claim being a daytona. Depsite many dicussions.As it states in May 2007 MCG THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FACTORY BUILT 70 DAYTONA.Case closed on this purple dealer assembled car.So this green original watermelon car photographed on Chryslers grounds .Wearing manafactures plates.Has more credibility

But I do have to look for something I believe Galen wrote in 1983 .The Rapid pack with Galen segment in the wingcar newsletter

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

Yeah, but Galen says a lot of things.  Oddly out of character for him, he does imply in that they exist without having any proof whatsoever.  Usually he's the guy who denies the existence of anything until he lays his hand on it for an official Galenal blessing.
I'm still, and have been for many years, firmly in the no 70's ever built camp.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on April 12, 2007, 03:53:30 AM
Yeah, but Galen says a lot of things.  Oddly out of character for him, he does imply in that they exist without having any proof whatsoever.  Usually he's the guy who denies the existence of anything until he lays his hand on it for an official Galenal blessing.
I'm still, and have been for many years, firmly in the no 70's ever built camp.

Put some perspective on that.    To be fair, that note was written, what, almost TWENTY-FIVE years ago?     To this day, Galen freely admits on a regular basis that he is still learning.   A lifetime of information gathering has passed since then.   At that time, he was still decoding sheets for free.    When he was just getting started, Galen was simply a Mopar Muscle Club member with a lot more questions than answers, like the rest of us.   

At that time, the photos of the green car has not surfaced yet.    The only information out there was that Jueneman had the purple car, purchased from Jackson, represented as factory sanctioned, and the rumor of the other two.   Galen is not the only one of us who have wanted to see the story to be able to be proven true. 

We still have many questions about these cars that are unanswered.   What is more clear now versus then, was that there was no factory sanctioned program to build any 1970's for customers.     

69_500

So do you get a discount if you show him that letter and ask him to decode a broadcast sheet now? Just curious.

Only kidding, decoding a broadcast sheet or a fender tag for that matter isn't rocket science. And if you don't know how to do it, there are thousands of people who can help you for free. Heck even back then in 1982 there were plenty of guys who could and would decode a broadcast sheet/fender tag for free.

Ghoste

I'll give you that Doug, but I was member of Mopar Muscle back then too and there were a couple of rumblings of "if I didn't see it, it doesn't exist" beginning to manifest themselves even back then.  He was much more approachable back then though and he did help a lot of us learn the beginnings of decoding for free with his monthly column in Muscle Hustle (not counting our dues of course).

nascarxx29

With chrysler themselves supplying misinformation.Like for example say all 69 charger 500s will have 426 hemi .And no 440-s.I found out Chrysler and its products are not a exact science.You can only believe what you see .And can document
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

You're right of course.  The only thing you can count on that has been repeated through the years is that you can never say never with Chryslers.  Except for 70 Daytonas that is. ;)

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on April 12, 2007, 08:31:38 PM
You're right of course.  The only thing you can count on that has been repeated through the years is that you can never say never with Chryslers.  Except for 70 Daytonas that is. ;)

and Mod Top Daytonas   :boogie:  :horse:

Old Moparz

Quote from: hemigeno on April 13, 2007, 09:29:40 AM

and Mod Top Daytonas   :boogie:  :horse:

:D

Hey Geno, I just got the Winged Warriors news letter & saw your pix & article, very cool.    :2thumbs:

I just have to finish reading it when I get home later.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hemigeno

Quote from: Old Moparz on April 13, 2007, 09:45:31 AM

Hey Geno, I just got the Winged Warriors news letter & saw your pix & article, very cool.    :2thumbs:

I just have to finish reading it when I get home later.

Thanks, Bob.  Save reading the rest of that article for a bathroom break or right before bedtime.  I think it might help with one or both of those activities...

:P

69_500

I'll tell you this, reading the article on Gene's Charger put me right to sleep. I was wondering when they were going to get to the good stuff, and talk about the Daytona, but they didn't. Kind of like some books just left me hanging.

There was documents from chrysler saying they were only going to make the charger 500's with a HEMI, but there are also some documents later saying they are offering the 440. The first papers also say you couldn't get it with a/c or in an SE package too. However the 2nd 440 powered 500 to come off the line (as far as I can gather) had a/c. 5 cars later another a/c car. 6 cars later you have an SE 500. To be quite honest I think that the first 440 powered car is one of the ones that had a vinyl top as well. Or at least I know it had a vinyl top when it was at the dealership. Now whether its a dealer installed top or not I can't answer.

I think back to when I was youger, and growing up around these cars and various clubs. But I remember many people decoding fender tags, back in the early 80's. As well as broadcast sheets. I remember my dad telling me what different codes were on the fender tags. Maybe thats why I'm the way I am now I don't know. But its not rocket science, the codes are spelled out very plainly in the data code books, so it didn't take too much searching to put 2 and 2 together. As far as the fender tag goes that is.

Broadcast sheet a little more tricky but not too hard either.