News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my starting point for my daytona clone

Started by pandamarie, April 16, 2007, 11:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandamarie

I sold the front clip and have all the parts on order, here is what I did this weekend. Pulled the glass out of the back window of both the vega and charger, and sat the 70 fenders on the charger. back gave out so I need to take a rest for a few days so I can walk again, then I will take the outer skin off the hatchback and start pounding metal to get the fenders straight, by then it should be going to my friends to get the hatchback welded in and the trunk lid modified.

hotrod98

Looks like you're making progress.
Make sure the welder guy drops that plug down a couple of inches or we'll laugh and ask you how you like your new sunroof.  ;D
Modify the trunk lid first, set it back on the car, then install the front drip trough so that the front trunk body line is correct and then start modifying the vega plug. You probably already knew that.
You should have the daytona trunk filler and the wing braces in a couple of days.
Remind me when you get started and I'll give you some dimensions and pics of the trunk modification.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

pandamarie

Thanks 98 for all your help.About how far should the top of the window plug be from the top of the roof line? I just sat the vega hatch there to give my wife an idea of what it will look like.

Howie

Hotrod, you forgot to tell him not to cut or bend the front fenders straight as the lower valance has a curve to it. I cant remember where but you posted the transformation of my front fenders.

hotrod98

Howie's correct. The valance is not straight where it meets the fender. The biggest mistake that I've seen is guys altering the fenders without taking into account the contour of the valance. You need to have the front valance that you plan to use before you alter the lower part of the fender. I made a template of the curvature of the valance using a piece of 3/4 angle iron. I cut several slots in the piece of angle iron and bowed it to match the radius of the valance. I then tack welded it so that it would keep it's shape.They're different on each side so you'll need to make two templates. I then clamped the template behind the fender and using a body hammer, bent the llip over the angle iron. Don't cut the flap until after bending it. You will need to make a slot cut where the lower flap is radiused so that the new tab that you're making will bend over without kinking. Then using a straight edge, mark the bent flap and just cut it to the correct width to match the original lip. The valance will match up perfectly. I welded the the area where I cut the radius and finished it out.
I'll post a couple of pics of Howie's car tonight when I get home.

The gap at the top of the plug is about 2 inches if I remember correctly. I guess you noticed that the plug doesn't fit down into the window opening. In my opinion, the best way to make the plug fit properly is to slice the sail panel on each side from near the top all of the way down to the bottom where it meets the quarter about 1/4" from the edge. If possible, use a 1/16 wheel on a cutoff tool. The plug will then wedge down into place. If you cut the vega plug to the point that all you have is the thin glass lip, the plug becomes too flexible and you risk having the glass not fit properly. I say leave that double thickness on the plug and just cut the sails. Now, slide the plug up and down until the transition from the roof panel is aligned with the vega plug. You can lay a yard stick down flat on the roof and slide the plug up until the yard stick is flat to both the roof and the plug. This should leave the two inch gap that we mentioned. To keep the plug from moving around, use two self drilling screws on each side to hold it into place. After the plug is in place, I used a scrap piece of the vega panel that I cut off of the bottom edge and using magnets, placed it over the gap at the top. I then took spray paint and from inside the car, sprayed the backside of the piece. I then removed it, and used the spray painted area as a guide to cut it to fit the opening perfectly. I then held it into place using magnets and welded it up.
There are several ways to do this job, so you have to decide how you want it done. I totally recessed Howie's plug but that made the welding process more difficult. It looks a little better but it's a lot more work. I'll probably do mine the way that I'm talking about here just because it's easier. I plan to do Howie's second clone this way as well.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Here's a few pics of the fender being altered. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

More

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

Quoteis to slice the sail panel on each side from near the top all of the way down to the bottom where it meets the quarter about 1/4" from the edge 

:yesnod:  thats the way i did it too. that way you retain all the strength of the plug. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Howie

How long is your wait going to be for the parts you ordered?

thallium

very nice thread. It would be nice to see pictures as you put your plug in, just like you did with your front valence. I think it would help a lot of people out.

BigBlockSam

hi Thallium

hotrod did post oictures of his plug installation . i can't find the thread anyware . if you check this thread it has some pics

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,20982.0.html

and here are some pics of mine. are you gonna do the plug?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26905.0.html
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

thallium

Hey Rene,  I'm not going to do the plug, it is beyond my skill level.  If i knew what i was doing, i probably would do it.  Right now, all I have to do is put in the marker lights into the valence and i'm ready for paint. The old marker lights i welded up about a month ago. Just about ready to go paint.

BigBlockSam

hotrod98

Good to hear from you Tabor. Was kind of wondering where you had been lately.
Was worried that you had sold your Charger and bought a Camaro...just kidding.  ;D

Charles Addams

thallium

How's it going Larry. Yes, I'm still here. I check the boards quite often. Everything is pretty much ready, hood is fitted, nose cone is mocked up, valence,old markers welded up. I just need to cut the new marker holes into the lower valence and it will be ready for paint. I'll post some pictures when I get her painted, she looks like crap right now. she looks like frankenstein.   I'll start a new thread on what color I'm thinking of painting her and scheme.

hotrod98

Charles Addams