News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil pressure and temp guage not working

Started by TurquoiseRT, April 17, 2007, 03:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurquoiseRT

My 69 Charger oil pressure and temp guages are not working. They are intermittent for about 2 minutes after I fire the car then they go to 0 and stay there even after a restart. I took a look at the circuit board on back and it looks fried but to be honest, it was not fried when I first took it out, it fried after I put the board back in and tested after making sure all connections were tight.

Can I get a new board? Could this be the only cause? The sending unit for the oil pressure is new and the wiring from the temp sensor looks like it is good. I dont remember if I tested both of the guages or not. How would I test them?

confused.

Jeff

TurquoiseRT

I'm going to try some of the tests (10 Ohm resistor and others) that I saw ion a few other threads.

Jeff

Plumcrazy

I'm assuming the fuel gauge is working since you didn't say anything about it.   That would eliminate the voltage limiter.  You'll have to find a used circuit board, I'm not aware of any repro's.   You can test the gauges by hooking a 9 volt battery to the terminals for short time.   The polarity doesn't matter.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

TurquoiseRT

Yes, the fuel gauge is working. I honestly think it may be in the connector block somewhere because sometimes the car will start but not stay running, after I jiggle the block around, it stops doing it. Have to go through and clean it.

Thanks, I'll check it out with the battery trick.

Jeff

Plumcrazy

Quote from: TurquoiseRT on April 17, 2007, 09:25:12 PM
Yes, the fuel gauge is working. I honestly think it may be in the connector block somewhere because sometimes the car will start but not stay running, after I jiggle the block around, it stops doing it. Have to go through and clean it.

Jeff

The fuel sending unit wire doesn't go through the bulkhead connector so that would explain why it's working.   Try unplugging the bulkhead connector and cleaning it with some electrical contact cleaner.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.