News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlights grounding strap?

Started by green rt, April 24, 2007, 02:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green rt

I have the new front headlight wiring harness. I have hooked it all up, and when I put the 3 prong connector onto the headlight, the Lights do not light up. I've checked the connector with a test light and I have power to all 3 terminals with the headlight plugged into the connector. Know I have the car running when I'm doing this, although I don't think that matters. What I am wondering is, in the headlight harness, there is a ground wire that comes out and screws to the front rad support. In order for the headlights to work, does there have to be a ground connection?

histoy

Yes, you have to have a good ground there for the headlights to work.

green rt

Quote from: histoy on April 24, 2007, 06:59:00 PM
Yes, you have to have a good ground there for the headlights to work.
I thought so, but what i don't get is I have power at the connector, and I put it on the headlight and the light will not come on?........why is tha........btw: it's a new bulb

RogerDodger

I think the third wire is your ground. There is a hot wire for the low beam and a hot wire for the high beam and they both use the third wire commonly as a ground. Try to test power at the connector when it is unplugged from the light and see if only two of them are hot. I don't have a separate ground strap to the radiator support on mine. The bulb is a sealed beam and it should light up without being in the headlight assembly as soon as its plugged in. you may be reading power on all three because its traveling through the bulb and back to ground. try it unplugged.

green rt

Quote from: RogerDodger on April 25, 2007, 05:40:02 PM
I think the third wire is your ground. There is a hot wire for the low beam and a hot wire for the high beam and they both use the third wire commonly as a ground. Try to test power at the connector when it is unplugged from the light and see if only two of them are hot. I don't have a separate ground strap to the radiator support on mine. The bulb is a sealed beam and it should light up without being in the headlight assembly as soon as its plugged in. you may be reading power on all three because its traveling through the bulb and back to ground. try it unplugged.
I'll give it try. Thanks for the info Roger Dodge. I'll let u know the results...