News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cluster Recondition

Started by nitrousn, April 24, 2007, 08:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrousn

Has anyone sent their 68-70 charger cluster out for reconditioning? Looking for references as to who to use and the quality of the work. Thanks..

Shakey

If you utilize the advanced search feature you will most likely find about 10 threads about this.  I just had mine done by Redline Gaugeworks and did a write up about the company and posted some photos in another thread somewhere.

Either you go looking for it or I do and I'm about to step out of the office for a few minutes so here is a great opportunity to learn to use that feature mentioned above.   :yesnod:

GTX

My buddy does them and does a great job but they are expensive especially if you are missing parts and he has to replace or recondition guages or the pcb. Well worth the final result though.
To be honest you could do it yourself if you have the inclination and patience. Very time consuming for the details.

I have a pdf file of a mag article that covers it if you or anyone else is interested.

dkn1997

Really not hard to do.  If your cluster is just a little worn, then It can be done pretty cheap. 

Repro bezel 250  (rechrome yours and wait, 195)
gauge faces 30-50
new brake lense lettering,turn signal lenses/gaskets 15
quartz clock conversion 50
polish switches  FREE  (dremel with little white felt disc works miracles)
polish lense FREE (almost)
Calibrate gauges 5 (just buy some cheapie resistors at radioshack)

If you start out with a decent cluster, you can have almost show quality (don't know how redo the odo wheel yet, that's the only thing that makes it look not perfect)  job for under 400 bucks.

It gets real expensive if you have to start buying the switches, though.  really nice or NOS dimmer,headlight, wiper switches can easily cost over 100 bucks each.  lense cracked?  200 for a repro. 

I put about 500 into the last one I did, but that included buying the donor cluster.  Sad part is that I sold it and it was way nicer than the one I did for my own car!  the one in my car was redone very nice, but I was too cheap to spring for rechroming the bezel, so I used bare metal foil on it.  looks good, but not as nice as a real chrome one.

I am currently working on a poor man's volt gauge conversion.  I found a 20 dollar gauge that almost fits.  you have to use your original amp gauge for the face and I need to find a local graphic arts place to make me a "volts" sticker in original mopar font/size.
RECHRGED

UFO

I had Autoinstruments redo my odometer wheel.Its just a decal wrapped around.Still better than the yellowed numbers.

RECHRGD

Go to www.gcartrim.com and take a look.  This guy is only a few miles from me.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32