News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Pass. Glass Adjustments, What makes it adjust up/down?

Started by WH23G3G, April 25, 2007, 10:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

On my 73, I just put the roof rail weatherstripping on nice and neat. Along with the quarter window felt seals. I've been playing with the glass adjustments on the pass. door ever since I got it back in. I'm reading the adjustment procedures in the Body service manual, but I don't understand the terminology they used. Where do I make the adjustment to make the back of the window come down when it's raised up? And where do I adjust to  make the front of the glass come down when it's up? The window when raised is way too far up if I were to shut it hard it would break the glass. One more question about the roof rail weatherstripping toward the end of the drip trough there is still a couple inches of weatherstripping, on the other side where the original is still on, it looks to be stuffed between the quarter window and the sail panel. Is that the proper way to do it? If it is, right where it ends at the drip rail, the rubber doesn't appear it will seal well there.

RogerDodger

With the upper interior door panel removed there are two stops that are adjustable at the top edge of the door. One for the front and one for the back. It is mounted in a sloted hole to allow for adjustment up or down. Make sure the plastic stop that is bolted to the window is there. There are two of them. One for each stop.

WH23G3G

I've run the slotted stops down as far as it will go in the back and it still comes up too high in the back. I'm mostly having problems with the back of the glass being too high. I can usually get the front one to stop right at the wear line on the weatherstrip. But the back of the glass goes up probably a 1/4" too high. If you shut the door it will break the glass. It all lines up with the right slot in the roof rail weatherstrip. I've got the factory parts catalog diagram, and everything is there. The only thing that wasn't saved was the two brushes that went next to the up stops. The brushes were deteriorated. Does one up stop have to be down and the other up? I've been going through the adjustment procedures for over a month, asking mechanics I know at shops. I've been playing with this window combined for well over a month. I just messed with it for 2 more hours and couldn't get any change in how high it goes up. The plastic the attaches to the window isn't broken either, everything is good. It all goes up and down smooth. What does the pivot bracket adjust? The two bolts in the middle back of the door, where the bracket slides up and down.

RogerDodger

I had the same problem. Try to loosen up the back rail and reposition it. There is one bolt in the bottom of the door and two at the top. I don't remember exactly what I did but I think the rail needs to go toward the back of the car as far as it can. The rail is mounted on a slight angle and this allows the window to come down slightly by moving it to the rear.

Doright

I suggest reading your book again, and starting over.
Make sure your reading about the Charger in the book and not the Polara and Monaco, also try reading about the 72 if you have access to a 72 manual, I am assuming your reading from the factory service manuals. all the terminology is depicted with pictures very clearly in the 72 manual.

The pivot adjustment will make it go too hi in the rear as will having the glass too far back.

Start over by loosening ALL the adjustments don't try and skip any thing, and start from the beginning.

When your done or close to done shut the door on a dollar bill and you should be able to tug on the dollar to pull it out not too tight but snug, tugging will remove at the top front and rear, Make small adjustments to tighten on the dollar bill.

Good luck take your time, That glass if original factory tinted is very expensive to replace, IF you can find one! last one I priced was almost $600.00 for a 72.
If none of this helps Find an OLD glass guy, Thats what I did but it took both of us to figure it out it had been so long since he had done one.
But in the end it all came back too him, since all I was interested in was getting the glass in and not making it seal because I plan on replacing the seals we didn't worry about getting it tight up against the seals but got it close. He then showed me how to properly adjust it for a tight fit against the seals which when you read the book was just like he explained it.

By the way any one know where I can find those plastic rivet window stops for a 72 glass? mine are loose and need replaced.
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

WH23G3G

I did just the following from the 73 body manual. I loosened it all up, and started with the first adjustment procedure, but I didn't understand what each adjustment was to do. I've got it close, but now it's not up against the seal in the front of the glass, but the back is about perfect now. So I got one side good and now the other side bad. I might leave it like that, but I need to put all my door panels back on and get them out of the way, but I'd like to see if I can have the glass adjusted properly first. It's very frustrating, I've been spending hours just going back and forth on all the adjustments. I don't what is the primary seal and the secondary seal. I'm assuming the primary seal is the roof rail weatherstripping and the secondary seal is either the strip on the outer door or on the top sides of the door.