News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Picture of the day! by you!

Started by ck1, April 28, 2007, 11:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Not an expert but i'll answer.  You are not only close, but pretty much dead on.
Think of a RAW image as a film negative.  It's not usable just yet as an image but has all the info in order for you to manipulate it with various programs to create the image you want.
A raw image has a wider color gamut than a jpeg. It prevents loss of data and overly compressed files leading to loss of color.  Hope that answers your question a little bit. If not, ask away.
jpeg compresses files and you lose color and tone.

OK, now you are ready for bracketing.    :coolgleamA:

What kind of rig you sporting?
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

dodgecharger-fan

Thanks for the info.
I've got a
Nikon D5000
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

I was really holding out for a D90, but my wife went and bought this setup for me for Christmas.
Now that I have it, I think it's more than enough as I think I have a lot to learn before the rig really matters.
And the store where she got it has a pretty decent trade up program - if I catch on to this stuff quickly.

Off to google bracketing. ;)

mikepmcs

Service advisory for the D5000(check your serial number, a certain number experienced an issue with powering up)  http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/D5000-Service-Advisory.page  Just an FYI. I'm a huge Nikon fan as well, so I will now spend an enormous amount of time assisting you.  We can all learn this stuff together. If you would have said Canon, I would have deleted my post and most likely never spoken with you again.( i can't imagine what kind of crap that's gonna stir up.....it's a joke people, kinda like Chrysler and Chevy)

What's cool about the D5000 bracketing selection(when you have it selected) is you only have to release the shutter once and the camera records 3 shots with different exposures. Where that is most beneficial is you don't have to worry about any movement in between shots in case you were using them for layering purposes(ie: HDR high dynamic range. GTS(Google That Shit)
Even on my camera, I have to make sure my camera doesn't move because I have to release my shutter for each individual shot while using bracketing.  I set mine on manual and manipulate the A/S settings every shot.  Mostly I set the aperture and select different shutter speeds for my bracketing.  That is..unless I'm shooting something close up and then of course I would want a large aperture setting(low f number f2.8 f4 etc...) to blur out the background. Ok, I'm rambling...... read this for aperture explanation... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

You will want to try your ADL(auto dynamic ranging) as well.  This will really perk up your pics as well.(contrast, color,etc...)  Don't know how that would work in RAW format though.  (check this out  http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300/dynamic-range.htm )

Ok, time for me to get in to my manual and on the net to make sure I don't get complacent with my limited knowledge.  Thanks for bringing up the question, you have my brain working again.  Photography is continuous and if you stop learning or trying new things, then you limit yourself.
Of course, there is nothing wrong with just wanting to take family snapshots as well.  But you'll have the best damn photos in the family that's for sure.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemi-hampton

Looks like I'm not the only one that collects old bottles

hemi-hampton

Looks like I'm not the only one to collect old sheets of cans. :scratchchin:

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: mikepmcs on December 29, 2009, 06:35:59 PM
Service advisory for the D5000(check your serial number, a certain number experienced an issue with powering up)  http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/D5000-Service-Advisory.page  Just an FYI. I'm a huge Nikon fan as well, so I will now spend an enormous amount of time assisting you.  We can all learn this stuff together. If you would have said Canon, I would have deleted my post and most likely never spoken with you again.( i can't imagine what kind of crap that's gonna stir up.....it's a joke people, kinda like Chrysler and Chevy)

What's cool about the D5000 bracketing selection(when you have it selected) is you only have to release the shutter once and the camera records 3 shots with different exposures. Where that is most beneficial is you don't have to worry about any movement in between shots in case you were using them for layering purposes(ie: HDR high dynamic range. GTS(Google That Shit)
Even on my camera, I have to make sure my camera doesn't move because I have to release my shutter for each individual shot while using bracketing.  I set mine on manual and manipulate the A/S settings every shot.  Mostly I set the aperture and select different shutter speeds for my bracketing.  That is..unless I'm shooting something close up and then of course I would want a large aperture setting(low f number f2.8 f4 etc...) to blur out the background. Ok, I'm rambling...... read this for aperture explanation... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

You will want to try your ADL(auto dynamic ranging) as well.  This will really perk up your pics as well.(contrast, color,etc...)  Don't know how that would work in RAW format though.  (check this out  http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300/dynamic-range.htm )

Ok, time for me to get in to my manual and on the net to make sure I don't get complacent with my limited knowledge.  Thanks for bringing up the question, you have my brain working again.  Photography is continuous and if you stop learning or trying new things, then you limit yourself.
Of course, there is nothing wrong with just wanting to take family snapshots as well.  But you'll have the best damn photos in the family that's for sure.

Cool! More stuff to learn.
I've already found that the bracketing makes a huge difference. I took many pics of stuff in low light and didn't use the flash - and they turned out fine.
I know it's just a start. As I figure out more, I'll build on it.
I've been spending time on http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/ as well.
Mostly looking for inspiration in the form of "That looks interesting. How can I do that?", and since they tend to post the EXIF info with the pics and explain their technique, I can find things that are within my limits and find things that I can work toward.

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 29, 2009, 07:09:01 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one to collect old sheets of cans. :scratchchin:

Neat!
My wife is a Coca-Cola collector on a small scale. A colleague of mine at a previous company had this and was doing nothing with it. So, he gave it to me to give to her.
It competes with her Santa Coke picture as the number one piece in her collection. (I took a picture of that too but it didn't turn out very well at all.)

Musicman

Looks like another Saturday night spent with good friends :cheers:

Mr.Woolery

99 bottles of beer on the wall,
99 bottles of beer,
take one down, pass it around,
98 bottles of beer on the wall!
98 bottles of beer on the wall
98 bottles of beer........
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

mauve66

Quote from: mikepmcs on December 29, 2009, 06:35:59 PM
Service advisory for the D5000(check your serial number, a certain number experienced an issue with powering up)  http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/D5000-Service-Advisory.page  Just an FYI. I'm a huge Nikon fan as well, so I will now spend an enormous amount of time assisting you.  We can all learn this stuff together. If you would have said Canon, I would have deleted my post and most likely never spoken with you again.( i can't imagine what kind of crap that's gonna stir up.....it's a joke people, kinda like Chrysler and Chevy)

Even on my camera, I have to make sure my camera doesn't move because I have to release my shutter for each individual shot while using bracketing.  I set mine on manual and manipulate the A/S settings every shot.  Mostly I set the aperture and select different shutter speeds for my bracketing.  That is..unless I'm shooting something close up and then of course I would want a large aperture setting(low f number f2.8 f4 etc...) to blur out the background. Ok, I'm rambling...... read this for aperture explanation... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

You will want to try your ADL(auto dynamic ranging) as well.  This will really perk up your pics as well.(contrast, color,etc...)  Don't know how that would work in RAW format though.  (check this out  http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300/dynamic-range.htm )

Ok, time for me to get in to my manual and on the net to make sure I don't get complacent with my limited knowledge.  Thanks for bringing up the question, you have my brain working again.  Photography is continuous and if you stop learning or trying new things, then you limit yourself.
Of course, there is nothing wrong with just wanting to take family snapshots as well.  But you'll have the best damn photos in the family that's for sure.

i dont see the humor....................... :nana: :nana:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

elanmars

wanted to share some preview pics of a photo shoot I did Saturday night with a friend of mine, the car in it's "before paint" state (just dropped it off today!!).

1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

hemi-hampton

Seen Santa's Sleigh Yesterday being pulled by a Tow Truck & Deer :scratchchin: :rofl:  LEON.

The70RT

Quote from: elanmars on January 04, 2010, 04:37:48 PM
wanted to share some preview pics of a photo shoot I did Saturday night with a friend of mine, the car in it's "before paint" state (just dropped it off today!!).

So does the hood ornament stay with the car  :icon_smile_big:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dans 68

:scratchchin:
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Magnumcharger

Here's a picture I shot this morning as the sun came up behind the mountains......and I'll not say where it is. Somebody can guess!
And I closed down a half F stop to find the perfect exposure.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

mikepmcs

CP-140(P-3 Orion) WOOOHOOOO!  I can hear those T-56's hummin' from here.  :2thumbs: 

Magnumcharger

Yeah...they're noisy bastards!! And I'm hearing them ALL NIGHT!! :flame:

UFO

Magnumcharger

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Magnumcharger

You mean...when AM I on the island?
Now! :icon_smile_big:

Foreman72

cast picture from the play i was recently in at school...pirate of penzance
...last show is tonight (weekend shows got snowed out... :rotz: )

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Magnumcharger on February 06, 2010, 05:22:22 PM
You mean...when AM I on the island?
Now! :icon_smile_big:

Awesome! Where abouts are you staying? Do you plan on doing a trip around the Island?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Magnumcharger

I'm on the Base in Comox, but my work can take me to practically anywhere, depending on the need for my services. Tomorrow I'll be driving down to Pat Bay (near Sidney) to inspect a Sea King helicopter. While I'm down there, I plan on driving out to Deep Cove to see a house I used to live in, and a school I went to.

69bronzeT5